See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My friend booked this room for us to attend her wedding and we did not see or hear anything about the hotel before arriving there. It is in a horrible area and is one of the creepiest experiences I ever had. Literally stayed for 10 minutes and just lost our money spent on the room without argueing about it. Blood stain on the bed, no lock on the door, hotel has a curfew, bathroom was tiny and disgusting, tv is over the bed, weird desk clerk, ect. Don't even waste your time or money. Seriously would compare this place to a 1940's horror movie.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank Kimber D
empresshotel00, Public Relations Manager at Empress Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

We would like to address some of these: First, we would have absolutely taken care of the bed situation if that happened. Second: The area is historic throughout history and lively and diverse. Third: All of our rooms lock and have locks. Fourth: Our rooms, and bathrooms, are small but clean and great price for the value. We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

If you need a place to crash while you are out on Bourban street having fun then this place is suitable for your needs. If you are needing something more classy then don't go here. We paid for what they classified for a 'large' room and quite frankly it was small. My fiance laughed and called the place a prison but I thought it was fine. It was indeed small and only had a bed and a small chair in the bedroom. The bathroom was small with no amenities. Like I said we checked in super late and went straight out and came in late and were there for the one night. It fit our needs and it was cheap. Within walking distance to Bourban too if you aren't gonna get too intoxicated that is. . . and i have a feeling one can smoke in their room cause their were ashtrays.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sara F
empresshotel00, Public Relations Manager at Empress Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Thank you for your review :) Some of our rooms are smoking rooms and some are non-smoking. We are glad you had a good stay. Best deal in town!

Reviewed May 25, 2012

How Horrible. We only stayed here for two hours, and accidentally left a bag in the bathroom. Returned for the bag not 1 hour later only to find it had been thoroughly gone thru. My jewelry was stolen, and inconveniently my hairbrush and conditioner were gone. I have been repeatedly attempting to rectify matter with managment, but cannot seem to get a call back. Finally had to resort to police. The jewelry would not have been worth anything to anyone but me, as my mother in law, deceased, had owned it. There was one gold watch and then several silver with gold overlay items. I cannot believe that the state of the rooms were so bad we had to move to begin with, and pay for a whole night even with only being there two hours....BUT to tolerate someone stealing.... DO NOT STAY HERE!!! STAY AT THE MIDTOWN....much better rooms and staff...they don't steal to my knowledge. The neighborhood is not the greatest. BUT IT IS SAFE AND SECURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND LESS EXPENSIVE. GAVE US A RATE OF 37.87 A NIGHT. I have never written a bad review for a hotel before, but felt compelled after the way I have been treated trying to sort this out amiacably..

Room Tip: Stay at the Midtown on Tulane. This is where we went. Staff is awesome and it is very secure although it is more inconvenient on location, take a cab or walk. Neighborhood is very misleading!!! Gave us a great rate and really worked with us. 37.87 a night....LOVED Them.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Ronianne66

We are very sorry that you lost some beloved items, but you did leave them in a room for an hour. We can't be responsible for items left that way by guests. Anyone may have walked by at any time and taken your stuff...we have no way of knowing if the room was left open, which is most likely the case. You have to be responsible for your own things when you travel. Although we do often find things left in the room that we store for guests, and we try our best to get in the room as soon as the guest leaves, we only have one clerk on duty and she/he is not always able to get to the room immediately. Please understand that such an issue with left items could arise at ANY hotel, not just the Empress.

Thank you.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

My first clue that this was a poor choice of hotel was the cab drivers comment "I've never driven anyone from the airport to this hotel" and "please stay indoors after dark".
The staff is pleasant. The room is about 8x6. There is no phone to call the front desk or call 911 in an emergency. The bed sheets were clean, the blanket has probably not been washed in months. There is a small area rug that smelled foul. There is a 13 inch TV. The bathroom could use a good scrubbing. The shower curtain was mouldy. They give you small bar of soap with a small towel. The shower spritzed out a little bit of water in every direction.
In summary this was the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. If you are just looking for a bed for the night and don't care how clean it is and don't really need to shower, this may work for you. I paid an average of $73 a night.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Timesq R

He must have been a new cab driver. We have an excellent relationship with the drivers and companies around New Orleans. We are sorry you didn't like your room, but we would have been happy to help accommodate you in possibly another room if you had just told the clerk on duty. We do have a phone available in the lobby for our guests to use. The reason we don't have phones in the rooms is because our hotel is so small, there is no need: the front desk is never more than 100 feet from your door.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

I had an absolutely wonderful time in New Orleans to attend the French Quarter festival in April. It was the first time I had ever been to New Orleans and I will be back again. I could not believe how well situated the hotel is to the Quarter. I had no trouble getting around and the staff at the hotel was wonderful. I will use the Empress the next time I go to New Orleans. Thank u Empress
ShirleyTyler

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Thank you! We are always happy to have you :) French Quarter fest is an excellent festival and we are very well located!!