See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Well it is well situated, the hotel is two blocks from the French Quarter, on a quiet and very colorful street. If you're on budget and want to stay away from the craziness of the French Quarter, the Empress hotel is fine and does the job. Hopefully you're not coming to New Orleans to spend time in your room.

The room is basic, our room was a decent size, the bathroom was a bit small, but the room was clean. We booked our room for two nights, we arrived around noon, even though check-in is at 3, but since our room was ready, they let us checked in. The lady at the front desk was very nice.

Based on the reviews from tripadvisor, my friend and I inspected the room, bathroom and sheets, everything was clean. Bed was too soft for my liking. Room felt a bit musty though, air was a bit stale.

My one complaint, is that after our first night, they did clean the room, changed the sheets and gave us new towels, but the they did not clean the bathroom floor (no bath math is provided, do not recommend walking bare feet in the bathroom) that was a bit gross.
My friend's complaint is that her towel was not clean...
So all that being said, the hotel is fine for one or two nights, more than that might be stretching it...

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Castafiore002
empresshotel00, Public Relations Manager at Empress Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Thank you, we do have clean rooms. We now offer a bathmat in every room. Come back and see the improvements :)

Reviewed April 19, 2012

I booked the hotel and sent in my confirmation with CC # by the specified time. Only when I called for a clarification on my check while I was en route to New Orleans did I find out that they had clearly overbooked and would not be supplying me with the room they had promised upon my reservation. On St Patricks day weekend there was no other room to be found in the city. We were left for 2 night with no hotel room!!!!!

I called the hotel and the "administration" several times ad they refused to right the situation. They did not seem to care at all and in fact expected me to understand their policy of overbooking.

I am a very tolerant person and have never complained about a hotel in my life, even upon finding mold, but confirming a reservation and then backing out is unforgivable!

DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE SLEEPING IN YOUR CAR!

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JennaLmcmullen

We can't even believe that this happened. Once you sign your confirmation and send it back then you are in our system. If you forgot to sign and send it, then it is not a confirmed reservation. We think most likely this is what happened. We are sorry that there was a misunderstanding.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

Owner of hotel (Joan) operates an awful hotel. Do not book a room at this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Ken M

Any reason why?

Reviewed April 1, 2012

A wonderful place to stay...just 5 min walking distance to Burbon Street...the accommodations are modest but definitely have a character and kept clean. Private bathrooms, free parking, free coffee on the balcony first thing in the morning..the staff are AWESOME - i arrived about 7 in the morning Sunday and check in was not til 4 pm. The hotel staff did their best to make me feel welcome AND at 10 AM i was already in my room. Would definitely stay there again when visiting New Orleans next time.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo

Thank you! We appreciate your business!

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Checked in on FRiday afternoon this past weekend and quick and easy check in! Parked right out on street in front of hotel as there was no parking left in parking lot. Car sat there until Sunday and was never bothered. Stayed in room 212. Yes- not like the Holiday Inn or even the Hampton but a good cheap place to lay your head.We had read the reviews and even stayed here once before so we brought a sleeping bag to put over the bed covers. The hot water was HOT and the air conditioner was COLD. People were loud walking the hallway but it didn't bother us much. We were only in the room to sleep and get ready. Had to wait a while to get a taxi. It was St Patty's day and town was busy! The taxi drivers reminded us not to walk in the area at night and we told them we already knew! It was a 8.50 cab fare to and from the casino. will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Get second floor as far back as possible!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank StephaniB69

Thank you! Come stay again :)