“BAD --Information Misleading . T”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Empress Hotel

Empress Hotel
Ranked #147 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
A TripAdvisor Member
“BAD --Information Misleading . T”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2003

My wife and I had searched the Internet for a "Nice but affordable place to stay close to the French Quarters with some kind of parking..
We drove in from TX locate d Empress and found the French Quarters to be more than the TWO blocks they state. Upon finding ourselves in a rundown area, dirty falling apart buildings. The building with the "Fresh" paint and a roof not falling in really stuck out . Located the parking area beside the Hotel. A small area you drive into and have to back out No drive thru.. And a sign saying "Park AT YOUR OWN RISK". We arrived early so we decided to cancel and find another HOTEL.. Sitting in the Parking Lot we called and cancelled and received a confirmation number.. Two days later I found out that they had billed us for staying there. We called them back .. BTY the 800 number on the website is uncorrect or they just don't answer it. After speaking to the Desk Clerk about the bill They refused to debit back to our account stating they must have 48 hours in advance.. And it's not stated anywhere. We suggested that we would report to New Orleans Chamer of Commerce and there reply was Go Right Ahead.Life is a Risk but there's no need to take this ONE...

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2003

I just had to laugh when I found the reviews on this crap hole! Anyone who thinks this is a suitable place to stay, no matter how cheap it is has no common sense. My Mother and I had to stay here in May of 2002 because our train connection to Orlando FL. was extreamly late. We saw flyers that advertised $29.00 a night and though why not? But when we arrived by taxi I was concerned, I consider myself to be some what street-wise, but with my 60 year-old Mother in tow, I was afraid that this would be too much for her to bare. As soon as we went up to the front desk, I inquired about the price, AND WAS TOLD THAT THOSE ROOMS WERE NOT AVAILABLE! We were charged the going rate of $57.00! I couldn't believe the room! The only good thing I can say is that the air conditioner worked like a freezer. Oh, and "Aimy" who was at the front desk was very nice, and it was too bad that she had to work in a dump like that. She had to handle a bad guest who was promtly kicked out! Some of the users who claim that this is such a deal for it being cheap and close to the Quarter probably don't care if they sleep in the ditch, whitch is probably more comfortable, but I have a bad back and my Mother is not built for this sort of thing. As for the price, you can stay at plenty of places that charge $65-$75 that are less than a mile away from the action. All you have to do is search for them on a good site like this one. 1 night was ok for needing to flop until Amtrack could get it in gear, but if you want to injoy your stay with out wondering if the hotel owner is America's Most Wanted, then do some research and find yourself a better place to stay.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2003

Dump with all caps; it should be condemned.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2003

I have stayed at the Empress many many times and the people are nice and friendly. The prices are great and it is just a skip to the Quarter. Anyone that bad mouths the Empress obviously must have never traveled in Europe. Besides, why complain you are only laying your head down for a couple hours the rest of the time you are partying so you aren't spending much time in the room anyway. I like it and will stay there again and again. Besides, It is very Gay Friendly.

• Stayed January 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2003

I found this pit on the internet...The site looked good as did the discription. My thought was....."Too good to be true"....Was that an over statement!!. The room was about 8x8 with duct tape holding things in the bathroom together....I think if you were in a pinch you could get 2 hour or 4 hour rate...But why would you want to do that to yourself?...Definately a dump!! I knew I had a good woman when she was still with me in the morning...Then we found a real hotel!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member