“Great Hotel!”

Ranked #17 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Shreveport, United States
“Great Hotel!”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

This hotel exceeded my expectations. First of all, the beds are super comfortable which you don't really get at all hotels. Secondly, the continental breakfast was EXCELLENT! I was really impressed by the quality of service overall. It's also in a really great location. It's far enough away from the French Quarter but close enough to where you can easily walk there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank Denise T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Franklin, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We had a group of 14 going on a spring break cruise and wanted to stay at a Hilton affiliated hotel near the port the night before and the night after. We booked using Hilton points and I think we were upgraded at check in due to my husband's diamond status. Our room was ideal for a family of four or more. It was a suite with two high beds (I can't remember if they were full or queen), a sofa, two TVs and a small kitchen. Between the two rooms was a large vanity area separated from the toilet and shower, which was great. The beds were very comfortable. We were in room 316 which is at the end of a hall and it was very quiet. The room had brick walls and very tall ceilings. The carpet and furniture was a little worn, but it really kind of added to the charm of the hotel. For being a Hampton Inn, this hotel had a great feel. The rest of my family was in the non-suite side of the hotel, and those rooms seemed a little newer and were just standard hotel sized rooms. After the cruise, we were thrilled to be assigned the same room again, and after a week of living in a tiny cruise cabin, the suite seemed enormous. I think my parents were upgraded on this second night, too. They were in room 416 above us, and had the same style of suite.

The staff was very friendly. On our return visit, the concierge helped us pick a bus tour of the city and made those arrangements for us and the hotel even picked up $10 of each ticket. He was very helpful with all of our questions.

If you stay here on a Saturday night, you should expect a very large crowd at breakfast Sunday morning. The proximity to the cruise port makes this a popular hotel for those who are cruising out on Sundays. Breakfast was just standard hotel breakfast. Other reviewers before me have mentioned the waffle issue in play here. No waffle is worth waiting in line for. :) I think next time, I would go out for breakfast and skip the crowd.

If you are cruising and need a shuttle to the port, you will need to arrange that with the front desk the night before. Early times filled up fast. There were a lot of folks all trying to get to the port at the same time and the staff managing this was very patient. (the cruisers were, too) Unrelated to the hotel but worth mentioning to future cruisers, I don't think I would try to get on the boat until later in the day if I were to cruise again. (I probably will not cruise again, but that is another review altogether. ha ha) Our shuttle time to the port was at 11. We were on the ship by noon and we didn't leave port until 6. I knew by 4:00 that I was not cut out for a Carnival cruise.

You can walk from this hotel to the French Quarter, but we opted to take a cab after the first night. We went two times and I think we paid $8 & $11, not counting the tip. The $11 was going to Cafe du Monde, and we had to make a stop along the way to pick up someone. The men in the group walked to the WW2 museum and it was maybe a ten minute walk. (they loved the museum, too)

I would love to visit New Orleans again for a long weekend and would absolutely stay at this Hampton Inn again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Rebecca J
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Let me preface this by letting you know that if you plan to spend most of your time in the quarter, this is not the hotel for you. We had to walk a lot to get there.

The hotel is absolutely lovely. Gorgeous building, lovely lobby, excellent valet service, which is prohibitively expensive at $27+ a night. Check in was easy, and there is a little market room to purchase snacks. The rooms are lovely and well appointed, the bathrooms nice. The AC worked great. Elevators were fast, and it really is about 50 feet from the convention center. It was very convenient. Check out was just as convenient.

Breakfast is lovely, and varies from day to day. It's a full breakfast, with eggs, meat, fresh fruit, side dishes, and replenished frequently.

To be honest, my only criticism of this hotel is the AC in the hallways and main rooms. It had to be about 90 degrees in the hallways. Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Denver
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I thought I had made a reservation but did not. No problem, I was accommodated easily. My initial room assignment did not have a desk, went to the front desk and the GM personally addressed the issue and got me into a room with a work area. Bed was great, room was clean, hotel was charming.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

I never leave reviews but the information I received from other reviews on this hotel helped me make my decision and I want to pass along confirmation. This is a very nice hotel. We stayed 1 night, a Sat night with 2 Adults and 2 Kids. The hotel is far away from the craziness of the city but still within walking distance to everything. The room was very clean and the staff were all polite. Rooms have lots of character and nice plush, high beds. Bathrooms were clean, and the bath products line is Clean by Neutrogena. They even leave a complimentary bag of microwavable popcorn which my kids thought was so cool! Breakfast buffet was delicious but extremely crowded. Get there early if you want a table without hovering over the next family to leave. The waffle makers are at the end of the buffet line and tends to hold the rest of the line up. Hampton Inn could stand to move these to another area to move the line quicker. The only thing I didn't like was we paid 30.00 for valet parking because we thought our car was safe in a covered garage in the same building as our room. When we picked up the car the next day the attendant said they had to get the car from an off site location due to overflow they had that prior night. I asked if the car was in a garage and was told no it was a secure lot. Car was safe but not where we thought it would be. Possibly could have saved a little money parking it somewhere else and walking to hotel. Other than that one of the most reasonably priced rooms I found in the city and we enjoyed our short stay!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank bdennison
Auburn, Alabama
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were here for our 25th wedding anniversary. Our room a King Junior was spacious and comes with a small kitchenette and a big refrigerator. At checked in we were given a buy one get one free Happy hour voucher. The front desk staff were very nice but the housekeeping could show a little friendliness. French Quarter is only about 10 minutes walk. Breakfast in the morning is your typical Hampton inn and suites breakfast. Staff at breakfast were real efficient. Everything that was low they try to fill up as fast as they can. Overall, I highly recommend this hotel for the location and for the price! You will get your money's worth!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jo M
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Great, reasonable place to stay. Close to WWII museum and walkable to the French Quarter. Agree with others on the boring breakfast. The coffee was good, though and there was plenty of seating in an enjoyable space. Staff was friendly, rooms clean, and building is beautiful.

Stayed March 2014