“Good value for business. Be careful visiting on a football game and bringing a car.”

Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center
Ranked #23 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

I was recent here for a stay for an event.. The hotel seemed to be a perfect business hotels, but a personal stay for a wedding it was a logistical nightmare waiting for our valeted car and driving around the hotel.

The Internet wasn't bad, the rooms were comfy, and the lobby was very clean and inviting. Again, the location is great if you're doing business at the convention center or a cruise night. The are warehouse district is about 10 min walk to Canal and 17 mins to Bourbon street.

The hotel does meet my expectations and I would recommend this hotel to any business person or budget minded families. My rating is based on my individual experience, will come here again to see if it improves. I hope to visit when the potholes outfront are fixed and there aren't any football games on.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank fastball16

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights as part of a tour of Texas and Louisiana.
When we arrived I was a bit concerned as it wasn’t very central, was a 30 minute walk into the French Quarter and it didn’t do evening meals. Also the area seemed a bit dark…..

However, we soon realised that one probably doesn’t want to stay in noisy central New Orleans. Party cities are great but living in the middle would be somewhat sleepless!

This is a FABULOUS hotel, well appointed and comfortable and no complaints whatsoever.
Our room was great with a massive bed and a fridge (bliss) a beautiful bathroom with loads of fluffy white towels and a super little hairdryer.

It was quite a walk to the room down long corridors but worth it!

Regarding location, we realised that we could walk along the Convention Centre Avenue which is right next to the hotel into town and we passed a Cajun Restaurant called Mulate’s. Well we decided to go in without having a clue what we would find or eat – and it was one of the best evening meals ever! It was a huge restaurant almost like a ‘hall’ with a live jazz band and loads of fabulous wall paintings. I LOVED IT!!!
I had a Cajun surf and turf which was just amazing and served with all kinds of little extras including proper vegetables and the best tasting ever ‘double baked potato’ which I am certainly going to try to recreate at home! My husband who normally doesn’t like fish had grilled catfish with Cajun rice (he hates spicy things normally) and he loved that too!

I would go back there every time if I ever went to New Orleans again (which I would love to do even though we rarely return as there’s a lot of world to see) it was one of the most unforgettable holiday meals EVER.

The Riverwalk streetcar runs close to the hotel, stopping by Mulate’s at Julia Street and this goes right into the centre of New Orleans for 1 dollar 25 cents (exact cash only!) and you can also change at Canal Street onto the other streetcar line. A great and easy way of getting into central NOLA and not the $15 of a taxi!

The walk along Convention Centre Avenue is actually well lit and there are quite a few ‘tourist police’ about so we felt very safe.

We also ate beigants at the Café du Monde while we were in New Orleans and we did the evening paddle steamer cruise with dinner and a jazz band – another fab meal with brilliant music and great facilities. Another memorable night out in New Orleans.

Hampton Hotel and Suites has one of the nicest lounges I’ve seen, very comfortable and opulent and also provides free coffee all day and evening long.

There’s a complimentary breakfast which lacks much fruit but great waffles (make it yourself) and a varied hot service plus the usual pastries, toast, juice and choices of coffee.

A really fantastic place to stay in New Orleans which actually guarantees you will get quality sleep in this noisy, lively fabulous city.

Definitely recommended!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EPD
Coventry
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We checked in and had a short wait since we were arriving at 11AM and the room was not ready. They stored our luggage and advised us of a few places to go and get lunch. They called when the room and we were treated to a HUGE Suite in the warehouse section of the hotel. It was decorated with a New Orleans flare such as the original warehouse windows & curtains that were probably 15 feet feet tall. The bed was a four poster Queen Ann bed with wonderful sheets and duvets. Original brick walls, full kitchen minus and oven. Very Clean. We were given an upgrade into a room which also had a large whirlpool bath. It was convenient to have breakfast every morning as part of your stay. Fresh fruit, danish, bagels, premade omelettes, sausage and fries home fries, cereals, make your own waffles - Not a gourmet breakfast but we used every monrning for a week.

We were there on business - so we chose it because it was soooooo close to the convention center. But if plan on going to the French Quarter - bring your sneakers or comfortable shoes.

I would stay there again with no questions asked.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Morganton, GA.
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We just had a wedding in our family and stayed here last week for 4 nights. We LOVED it! Our family who stayed at the nearby Courtyard Marriott and Springhill Suites wish they had stayed with us. Great location between the Garden District and French Quarter, very safe area with lots of restaurants close by close to the Riverwalk. Smallish with a cozy lobby, great for hanging out with our family with a bar nearby. Free warm cookies in the afternoon, given a voucher for a free drink, free BIG breakfast. Very nice, helpful staff . We also did not use the hotel parking as there was convenient street parking. Nice rooms with comfy luxury bedding. We'll be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank localhiker
Manila Philippines
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Just across the convention center, it was so convenient to catch early morning lectures. If I needed a break, it was so easy to just cross or walk thru the park.
The breakfast buffet was so filling to last me till midafternoon.

• Stayed October 2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights....the front desk and valets were amazing. The free breakfast was yummy. Would definately stay again. Actually planning a visit in February. Next time we will bring kids...so we will see how kid friendly they are.

• Stayed October 2012
Phoenix
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Otherwise, I would skip this hotel. Stayed 4 nights for a conference and while there were several nice qualities to the hotel, I couldn't get over the smell of must/mold everywhere. The first room I was given had a very strong musty smell with lemon cleaner over it- they were very responsive and did give me an alternate room which had only a faint smell. The entry way on the side had similar odor- I suspect it is just a very old building? Unfortunately someone vomited in the hallway one night so this also added to unfortunate odors everywhere though not the hotels fault- one man was spraying the hallway the next day trying to cover it up so they tried. Since it is at the end of the convention center I also did not feel as safe as I would have liked walking alone at night so if you are a female alone you might pick something towards the other, busier end.
Having said that, and if odors do not bother you, then it is a fine place to stay- comfy beds, large clean bathroom, and free breakfast which was not great but edible and convenient for conference. Loved the small outdoor courtyard in the evening as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Charlene M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
I appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us. I understand the freshness of the room was of concern during your stay. Guest satisfaction is our hotel's priority; therefore, I have brought your comments to our hotel team to resolve this situation. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I hope you will consider staying with us the next time you travel to the area.