“Fine if you are just attending a conference at convention center”

Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center
Ranked #19 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Phoenix
“Fine if you are just attending a conference at convention center”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Otherwise, I would skip this hotel. Stayed 4 nights for a conference and while there were several nice qualities to the hotel, I couldn't get over the smell of must/mold everywhere. The first room I was given had a very strong musty smell with lemon cleaner over it- they were very responsive and did give me an alternate room which had only a faint smell. The entry way on the side had similar odor- I suspect it is just a very old building? Unfortunately someone vomited in the hallway one night so this also added to unfortunate odors everywhere though not the hotels fault- one man was spraying the hallway the next day trying to cover it up so they tried. Since it is at the end of the convention center I also did not feel as safe as I would have liked walking alone at night so if you are a female alone you might pick something towards the other, busier end.
Having said that, and if odors do not bother you, then it is a fine place to stay- comfy beds, large clean bathroom, and free breakfast which was not great but edible and convenient for conference. Loved the small outdoor courtyard in the evening as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Charlene M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
I appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us. I understand the freshness of the room was of concern during your stay. Guest satisfaction is our hotel's priority; therefore, I have brought your comments to our hotel team to resolve this situation. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I hope you will consider staying with us the next time you travel to the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Fife, Scotland
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on our recent visit to New Orleans and were very pleased with the hotel and location, some may think it is a bit out of the way however there is the trolley that stops a block or two away from the hotel a taxi costs around $12 from the French Quarter and if you are keen to walk maybe about a 30 - 45mins walk if that, the hotel itself is lovely and has a great atmosphere the rooms are spacious and homely, the bar has a nice and relaxed atmosphere all staff that we dealt with were friendly and professional, the pool area was lovely and enclosed it makes you feel like you are in your own private pool area. I would recommend this hotel whether it be for business or pleasure *****

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed October 30, 2012

If you are going to attend meetings/conventions at the NOLA convention center, this is the best hotel in terms of location. From the side entrance of the hotel, just cross the Convention Center Boulevard, you are there in no time. This hotel is located on the quiet end of the boulevard.
Breakfast is so-so but their coffee is great! The rooms are big and beds are comfortable. Free use of business center to check emails and airline online check in and printing of boarding pass. Front desk staff were helpful. Check in & out was fast.
If you come to NOLA for shopping and have fun, then you are in the wrong hotel.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Nice hotel very conveniently located if you are in town for a convention.
Rooms are standard fare, with usual noise from slamming doors and people passing in the corridor. If you can get a room not facing the convention center or east, as there is quite a bit of traffic, and on Saturday (I do not know if it is every Saturday) there was on the East side a very loud event with music for a good part of the night!
Reasonable breakfast is included.
Very helpful staff overall.
The French quarter is within walking distance (20 minutes) and there are several good restaurants in the area.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This hotel is ok for being close to the convention center and for having free breakfast and wifi if the price is right. However, we recently were in town for a conference and chose the hotel for the above reasons, even choosing to stay there rather than the Sheraton and other 4 star hotels in town for about the same price due to the reasons mentioned above but also because the reviews on tripadvisor seemed all very positive. When we arrived our room was ready which was nice. The room was average for a 3 star. We asked to stay in the old warehouse part but only suites were available for $60 more a night (no thank you when we were already paying much more than average). We took the room that was available. That night when we got back to our room exhausted I pull back the covers and noticed that it was obvious that the sheets had not been changed! I called the manager who came at my request and did offer "comp" that night however I was disgusted that if I hadn't looked closer we would have slept in that bed! Also the walls are very thin and you hear doors slamming throughout the night. Overall the rest of the stay was ok, the staff were friendly and the breakfasts were good, but I was overall very disappointed in our stay. I would not recommend, there are plenty of other hotels close to the convention center.

1 Thank emjo618
Charlene M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for the feedback regarding your visit. I apologize for the unpleasant experience regarding your room cleanliness. I can assure you this issue is being addressed with the Housekeeping staff to ensure it does not happen again. The first night of your stay was complimentary due to this inconvenience, but please contact me at martinez@highpointe.com or 504-566-9990 if you would like to discuss it further.
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This place has hipster appeal because it is half an old warehouse and half a new Hampton. I got a room in the new Hampton, and it seemed cheaply built and was no different than any old Hampton. Noisy inside from slamming doors and creaking floors, but not really noisy from outside. If the price is right, stay here no questions asked. But don't be fooled by the rating...this hotel doesn't remotely rate the #6 hotel in NOLA, in my opinion. More like 50th or less. Nearby Hilton Garden Inn looks much nicer.

My room had a bunch of wallboard pieces, anchors, and mardi gras beads behind the bed where the headboard had apparently been rehung, but not cleaned up. Makes you wonder about how well they cleaned the bathroom.

Breakfast was standard Hampton ("eggs", oatmeal, potatoes, all rewarmed, some cereal). better than starving, not better than buying a nicer breakfast elsewhere.

Room Tip: I didn't get a room in the old wing. I would try that instead, but get a room that does not fac...
1 Thank James M
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I apologize for the noise you experienced, and that your room was not cleaned properly during your stay. We strive for perfection in our guest room cleanliness, but obviously we fell short of this in your room. You can rest assure that we will address your concerns with the Housekeeping staff. We stand behind our 100% guest satisfaction policy and I would love to speak with you further about your stay. Please contact me directly at martinez@highpointe.com or at the hotel 504-566-9990. I again apologize for your experience, and I look forward to hearing from you.
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is a gorgeous hotel with the best possible access to the convention center and a short walk away from the French Quarter. The rooms are exceptionally comfortable rooms and, of course, complimentary breakfast.

I do have an issue with the Hampton's policy regarding their 100% satisfaction guarantee which is why I have given this review an average rating.

Here is the situation that I experienced. The hotel's fire alarms began going off just after 3:00 AM. Guests were evacuated to the street for approximately an hour for what was deemed a "false alarm" by hotel management. This would definitely cause issues with guest satisfaction. All guests received an apology note under their door from the front office manager.

While I was waiting to check out, I stood listening to guests in front of me asking if they could be compensated for the inconvenience. The front desk staff were not accommodating and did not want to address guest concerns. When asked if a manager could be called, guests were informed that a manager wasn't available at the moment but "We will see what can be done". Anyone who has had experience with human interaction knows that this was a brush off.

At the time, I was satisfied with my stay and not seeking compensation since the stay was booked through a corporate site. Just disappointed with the service other guests were receiving.

I had plenty of time to think on the situation during my long drive after check-out and decided to call the hotel and speak to a manager regarding what I had witnessed that morning. The first call around 1:30 did not reach a manager. 2nd call did not reach a manager. 3rd call I left a message stating the reason for my call and would appreciate a call back. It is now 3 days later and still, no contact from management which I feel warranted this review.

So, in summary, the hotel is fantastic inside and out. Great location and great staff... until you are not satisfied with your stay.

1 Thank RobertL
Charlene M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Unfortunately, there was an issue with the fire alarm panel during your visit. The alarm panel experienced a glitch that caused it to sound the alarm. We stand behind our 100% guest satisfaction and I am sorry this is not the message delivered to you. I am sorry to hear you had a difficult time reaching a manager and I am currently looking into this situation and promise the appropriate actions will be taken to address it. If you would be so kind as to contact me directly, I would love to speak with you regarding your experience. My email is martinez@highpoitne.com.