“Very good hotel just across the convention center”

Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Convention Center
Ranked #13 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Nice hotel very conveniently located if you are in town for a convention.
Rooms are standard fare, with usual noise from slamming doors and people passing in the corridor. If you can get a room not facing the convention center or east, as there is quite a bit of traffic, and on Saturday (I do not know if it is every Saturday) there was on the East side a very loud event with music for a good part of the night!
Reasonable breakfast is included.
Very helpful staff overall.
The French quarter is within walking distance (20 minutes) and there are several good restaurants in the area.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,971)

Reviewed October 29, 2012

This hotel is ok for being close to the convention center and for having free breakfast and wifi if the price is right. However, we recently were in town for a conference and chose the hotel for the above reasons, even choosing to stay there rather than the Sheraton and other 4 star hotels in town for about the same price due to the reasons mentioned above but also because the reviews on tripadvisor seemed all very positive. When we arrived our room was ready which was nice. The room was average for a 3 star. We asked to stay in the old warehouse part but only suites were available for $60 more a night (no thank you when we were already paying much more than average). We took the room that was available. That night when we got back to our room exhausted I pull back the covers and noticed that it was obvious that the sheets had not been changed! I called the manager who came at my request and did offer "comp" that night however I was disgusted that if I hadn't looked closer we would have slept in that bed! Also the walls are very thin and you hear doors slamming throughout the night. Overall the rest of the stay was ok, the staff were friendly and the breakfasts were good, but I was overall very disappointed in our stay. I would not recommend, there are plenty of other hotels close to the convention center.

1  Thank emjo618
Charlene M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you for the feedback regarding your visit. I apologize for the unpleasant experience regarding your room cleanliness. I can assure you this issue is being addressed with the Housekeeping staff to ensure it does not happen again. The first night of your stay was complimentary due to this inconvenience, but please contact me at martinez@highpointe.com or 504-566-9990 if you would like to discuss it further.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

This place has hipster appeal because it is half an old warehouse and half a new Hampton. I got a room in the new Hampton, and it seemed cheaply built and was no different than any old Hampton. Noisy inside from slamming doors and creaking floors, but not really noisy from outside. If the price is right, stay here no questions asked. But don't be fooled by the rating...this hotel doesn't remotely rate the #6 hotel in NOLA, in my opinion. More like 50th or less. Nearby Hilton Garden Inn looks much nicer.

My room had a bunch of wallboard pieces, anchors, and mardi gras beads behind the bed where the headboard had apparently been rehung, but not cleaned up. Makes you wonder about how well they cleaned the bathroom.

Breakfast was standard Hampton ("eggs", oatmeal, potatoes, all rewarmed, some cereal). better than starving, not better than buying a nicer breakfast elsewhere.

Room Tip: I didn't get a room in the old wing. I would try that instead, but get a room that does not fac...
1  Thank James M

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I apologize for the noise you experienced, and that your room was not cleaned properly during your stay. We strive for perfection in our guest room cleanliness, but obviously we fell short of this in your room. You can rest assure that we will address your concerns with the Housekeeping staff. We stand behind our 100% guest satisfaction policy and I would love to speak with you further about your stay. Please contact me directly at martinez@highpointe.com or at the hotel 504-566-9990. I again apologize for your experience, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is a gorgeous hotel with the best possible access to the convention center and a short walk away from the French Quarter. The rooms are exceptionally comfortable rooms and, of course, complimentary breakfast.

I do have an issue with the Hampton's policy regarding their 100% satisfaction guarantee which is why I have given this review an average rating.

Here is the situation that I experienced. The hotel's fire alarms began going off just after 3:00 AM. Guests were evacuated to the street for approximately an hour for what was deemed a "false alarm" by hotel management. This would definitely cause issues with guest satisfaction. All guests received an apology note under their door from the front office manager.

While I was waiting to check out, I stood listening to guests in front of me asking if they could be compensated for the inconvenience. The front desk staff were not accommodating and did not want to address guest concerns. When asked if a manager could be called, guests were informed that a manager wasn't available at the moment but "We will see what can be done". Anyone who has had experience with human interaction knows that this was a brush off.

At the time, I was satisfied with my stay and not seeking compensation since the stay was booked through a corporate site. Just disappointed with the service other guests were receiving.

I had plenty of time to think on the situation during my long drive after check-out and decided to call the hotel and speak to a manager regarding what I had witnessed that morning. The first call around 1:30 did not reach a manager. 2nd call did not reach a manager. 3rd call I left a message stating the reason for my call and would appreciate a call back. It is now 3 days later and still, no contact from management which I feel warranted this review.

So, in summary, the hotel is fantastic inside and out. Great location and great staff... until you are not satisfied with your stay.

1  Thank RobertL
Charlene M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Unfortunately, there was an issue with the fire alarm panel during your visit. The alarm panel experienced a glitch that caused it to sound the alarm. We stand behind our 100% guest satisfaction and I am sorry this is not the message delivered to you. I am sorry to hear you had a difficult time reaching a manager and I am currently looking into this situation and promise the appropriate actions will be taken to address it. If you would be so kind as to contact me directly, I would love to speak with you regarding your experience. My email is martinez@highpoitne.com.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

this is a fantastic hotel, developed from an old warehouse, keeping many of the original features. Friendly, accommodating and free breakfast too! Great value, convenient, quiet. Perfect in every way. Close to the convention center and the cruise ship terminal.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I had to spend most of 3 days at the Convention Center which is conveniently located across the street from the hotel. I could duck in if I needed to pick up or drop off something in my room (e.g. a sweater to deal with the AC in the Convention Center). The Hampton rooms were very modern, clean, internet equipped and the staff was gracious and helpful. There is an ample free breakfast every morning. It is an easy walk (~15 min) to the heart of the French Quarter. It is a great value and I will return to them for my next NOLA convention.

1  Thank George J
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here prior to going on a cruise. This was an amazing hotel. The gentleman at the front desk was very courteous & helpful. Gave a discounted rate for leaving our car parked safely in their garage while we were gone!room was very clean and spacious! We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank MMcDonald829
aliciadhoffmann, Public Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

We are very excited to hear you enjoyed your pre-cruise stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center. Do you remember the name of the front desk agent that assisted you? We would love to share your positive review with him.

Have a great time on the cruise and we hope to see you again soon!