“Not thrilled about this place”
Review of Rathbone Mansions

Rathbone Mansions
Ranked #45 of 140 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Not thrilled about this place”
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I booked a room here because of the location and price - both were pretty unbeatable. It's in a quiet, safe neighborhood a short walk from the French Quarter. The room itself (and particularly the bathroom) was a bit run-down, but nicely decorated and with hardwood floors, which I generally love.

The downside was that you entered the room directly from a courtyard, and there was no doormat. The staff clearly didn't remove their shoes when entering, nor did they clean the floors after I checked in. By the end of my 3 nights there, the floors felt pretty nasty. I had some other small issues with the room (light switch by the door didn't work, sounds from the heater were loud enough to wake me up) but the floors were the worst.

The staff left a lot to be desired starting at check-in. I showed up prior to check-in time and just wanted to leave my luggage there for a few hours until a room was ready. First they gave me some paperwork to fill out and said that I could just leave my bags right in the public entrance/living room area. Uh, okay. Then they disappeared into the office area and loudly discussed whether any room was ready, and some furniture that had to be painted, and maybe I could check in after all. This went on for several minutes as I was awkwardly standing there. At some point someone came out and asked what I wanted. The whole thing seemed really disorganized and unprofessional.

My standards are not all that high, but I was not a fan of this place. While it's certainly not terrible, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2011

Pre-arrival:
After reading a few of the earlier reviews on this site, I wasn't too sure about the decency of the hotel, but granted that management had responded to the reviews saying they had changed their staff, and the price of the accommodation fit my budget (considering I was arriving on a huge College Bowl game day) I decided to give it a shot.

Arrival:
I arrived after the reception had closed, but the staff had kindly left me a note with details of how to get my key and get into the accommodation. When I walked through the front door, I thought "WOW! GRAND MAISON!" Lovely antique furniture.

My room:
Spacious! HUGE bed! Antique cupboard. Cozy kitchen with all the mods. Cozy bathroom. Walk-in wardrobe/storage area. TV. High ceiling with fan.
I could've laid in my baid all day if I didn't have to go galavanting round the city!

Location:
Quiet residential area which is about 15mins walk from the action on Bourbon street or a 12mins walk to the amazing jazz on Frenchmen street. If you're gonna complain about a 15mins walk then maybe Nawlins isn't for you. This city is best seen by foot! I walked EVERYWHERE in my four days there; all over the French Quarter, the Riverwalk, to the Garden and Art District, to the Superdome, to Treme and St Louis cemetery. I used a streetcar once just for the experience. Seriously, get some comfy shoes and suck it up and experience the beauty of New Orleans!

Staff:
VERY super friendly! Chatty, informative, funny and helpful. What more could you ask for?! I had a light in my room which wasn't working on my arrival. I had someone come round that evening to check on it and it was fixed by the next day. I even had a note under my door saying my aunt had called to speak to me.

Conclusion:
Pros -> ALL OF THE ABOVE! Plus, you'll really like your room and the staff.
Cons -> maybe the rooms could do with telephones in case people don't have mobiles and need to be contacted or need to contact others. Also, the breakfast is a continental breakfast (cupcakes, bagels, toast). If you love your breakfast and are up in time (after partying in the French quarter I doubt many of you will be up by 10.30am!), then the breakfast may not appeal enough to you as I don't think they do waffles, meat and omelettes. But there's plenty to eat as you tour during the day and night.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Port Chester, New York
Reviewed January 2, 2011

My bf and I were in New Orleans and stayed at this B&B ( I wouldn't call it a hotel) for two weeks so I have a lot to talk about
The mansions only have about 10 rooms ( I don't know exact number but not too many) with separate entrances which is why I would call it more of a B&B.The room had one queen size bed that took up most of the room and my first impression when walking in was it was really small. However it was fine for two people. The room was a little dusty and the only night stand in the room had some sticky dried juice on it but overall it was pretty clean. We had a problem with toilet the entire time with it not flushing. I had this same problem at an old apartment so all you had to do was lift the tank lid, stick your hand in, and connect the chain again. We are not the type who bothers others or complain so we didn't report it as broken, we just dealt with it. The major problem I had ( as a women) was the shower. GOSH it's SO tiny. My bf guessed it be 30 inches by 30 inches. Can't bend over at all. I had to get wet, turn off the shower, step out, suds up, then go back in just to bathe properly. The removable shower head had a severe leak and was ducted tape around to prevent further leaking. I thought this was kinda cheap and tacky. You can get a removable shower head at home depot for less than $30. There is free complimentary breakfast which is done by an AMAZING hostess who really knows how to cook.
Some of the reviews complained about the location. Yes it technically is 2 blocks from were the French Quarter begins. So they are not lying when they say that. However it is a good 10-15 minute walk to the heart of the French Quarter which is were pretty much everything is. My and my bf are young and active so we didn't mind the walk. Into our second week it was getting a little tedious but even on those late, drunken nights ( or should I say mornings lol) we refused to take a cab back because it truly is not that far of a walk. Plus if you stay anywhere "closer" or in the French Quarter your paying easily double the price. The room rates were extremely reasonable.
It saddens me that the hotel has been associated with stealing or theft because I had such a wonderful time here. It has been noted that they have had a change in staff and this truly must be the case because everyone I encountered was amazing friendly and helpful. Made you feel rite at home. When we go back I will for sure stay here again!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed December 3, 2010

My partner and I had a wonderful stay at Rathbone Mansions. The room was clean, attractive, and quiet. Our hosts were friendly and always helpful and fun. In fact, when there was a maintenance issue with our room prior to our arrival, they paid for a room at another inn for one night, then upgraded us to a lovely suite at 1227 Esplanade for the rest of our stay. The location is right on the eastern edge of the Quarter, and for us it was perfect for walking everywhere. The price was a steal and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I completely agree with "Watch your cash" My husband's brand new $75 Affliction shirt, which was complimented on by housekeeping, turned up missing (we called the manager after arriving home and confirming the shirt was not in our belongings... very unhelpful, didn't seem to care). No microwave for all those yummy culinary leftovers. Manager was very terse, grumpy. Breakfast was sufficient, but limited in the time available. There were 2 times we walked all the way back from the quarter to find the Inn locked. Overall - wonderful rooms. Priced right. Very clean. As it is past Rampart St., some might not like to walk the neighborhood. Due to the rip-off of the shirt and the grumpy Mgr we will not stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank livewires
RathboneGM, General Manager at Rathbone Mansions, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Sorry about the stay from March 2009, we have changed the entire staff since October 2010 and all employees are no longer there. Hopefully you will give us another try sometime and just let me know by contacting us directly when booking about your past experience and review on this site and I will certainly make it worth your while to come back and stay with us! Take care!
Northport, Alabama
Reviewed November 16, 2010

A quiet, clean place to stay. Very historic. Rooms are very nice and spacious. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Either take a cab or park in a deck if you go to the French Quarter. Its a pretty good walk!

• Stayed November 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed November 9, 2010

The Rathbone is a lovely B&B just on the edge of the French Quarter. It could be walked, as the other side of the quarter is probably just over a mile away. The manager is AMAZING! He was so wonderful! The rooms are typical traditional B&B, with beautiful beds and hardwood floors, and ceiling fans. The breakfast is really good, with great choices! I will absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends