“Great Place to stay with an exceptional value”
Review of Rathbone Mansions

Rathbone Mansions
Ranked #28 of 141 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I stayed at the 1244 location across the street. It was clean and very nice. Though they probably need to do some minor repairs, one needs to keep in mind these mansions are over 120 years old!
The rate was very reasonable (I booked on bookit dot com) and there was free WiFi and free parking, and a charming back area with a new pool and hot tub. The walk to the FQ was not bad at all!
The downside to this establishment was 1. the bed did not have a mattress cover (to me this is just gross) and the sheets and pillowcases were too rough and scratchy.
2. The "breakfast" could have been better...it was all store bought and stale pastries and bagels.
3. The AC in the room is NOT adequate for the summer (and high, high ceilings) I had a 2 room suite on the second floor, and though it was LOVELY, it could not get cool. There were ceiling fans in both rooms and the AC unit was in the bigger room.... but it was very, very uncomfortable...so much so we could not sleep.
Overall, it was a great place, great location, and had a nice ambiance about it.... I will stay there again!! (Just not in the summer!)

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 15, 2010

OK, so I must say I did read the reviews and was a bit hesitant to stay here BUT I did over Mardi Gras weekend and was pleasantly surprised. Our room was clean and comfortable, check in was a breeze, parking was secure and off-street, and it was within walking distance to the French Quarter. Prices were reasonable considering the time of year!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2010

My husband and I stayed in a courtyard room at the Rathbone Inn, over the road from the main Inn after staying one night at the Residence by Marriott. We took it because of the price, a full week there was the price of one night in Residence over the weekend.
Check in was incredibly easy, we found the listing on craigslist and were told in advance it was cash only. The owner gave us 2 sets of keys and showed me the room before payment to make sure we liked it. We also had small dogs with us, no problem.
The room was clean and had a fridge/freezer and microwave, kitchen sink, dresser drawers, bathroom with shower and a large bed and tv. The room was air conditioned and had a ceiling fan.
Te cottage was behind a gate and incredibly secure with a nice courtyard of which the dogs were allowed to run around.
The Inn has a pool at the main home, which we didn't use but we saw several people go over there during the week. There is also free internet in the main Inn and on the porches of both.
We arranged in advance a day and time for the cleaner to come so we could take out the dogs, of which she did an impressive job.
We saw a few of the other guests during our stay, mixed from a group of young girls to a single man. We experienced some noise from upstairs one night, but the room was generally very quiet and didn't hear people coming and going.
A few downsides would be, the dust on the blinds, the shower drizzled water and mold around the shower and bathroom cabinets.
We used street parking which was only a problem once or twice finding a spot, however the owner did offer her garage between 9pm and 9am if we needed it. The street was OK, a mixture of guest houses, family homes and apartments, some unsavory characters and some very friendly people. I wouldn't leave valuables in the car or park it too far from home but I wouldn't anywhere.

The location couldn't be better, a few blocks to the French Quarter, close to a pharmacy and a coffee shop. The street has a stretch of grass in the middle where people walk dogs.

In the end you get what you pay for. The room was perfect for what we needed it for and our dogs and valuables were safe, there were a few issues with dust and mold but to be honest i have seen worse in 4 star hotels. There were no hotels over the weekend that charged less than what we paid for the full week. The owners offered information and help and were even flexible on times of check in, check out.

We would definitely stay there again, and is perfect for week long stays

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Est1974
Reviewed March 27, 2010

They quote one price and then jack it up on arrival and will only take cash for the upcharges.The staff then goes through your belongings and steals anything of value left in the room. We had some extra cash hidden inside an inside pocket of a travel case which was inside a suitcase under the bed. Guess what all of the money was gone.All I can say is please watch out.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank rsorren
RathboneGM, General Manager at Rathbone Mansions, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2011

Sorry about your experience from previous management, we have recently changed the entire management team as of October 22, 2010 and have hired all new staff. If you would like to give us another try, I will certainly do something to make up for the past experience. Take care and have a great New Year!

Reviewed February 25, 2010

It was my very first time in New Orleans. We rented the Mardi Gras Suite and it was a wonderful experience. I loved the patio on the second floor. I watched Esplanade move along. Will come back. definitely will. I love New Orleans!

Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 7, 2009

We enjoyed our stay very much. Look forward to visiting again soon. Thanks!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2009

Me and about ten of my colleagues stayed here for business and we absolutely love the place.. Very well decorated, and the rooms are very large, not what you would expect from the out side..

When you walk in it takes on a whole new feeling.. You almost feel as if you are back in time, not to mention a visit from a friendly ghost encounter, very cool....

The pool was very nice and refreshing.. Location, location, location, close to all that you would want to see.. and yet far enough away not to be bothered from all the busy street noise.. I can’t wait to bring my husband back for a romantic weekend..

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business