“"Rat Bone Inn" would be a more appropriate name”
Review of Rathbone Mansions

Rathbone Mansions
Ranked #47 of 139 New Orleans B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“"Rat Bone Inn" would be a more appropriate name”
Reviewed February 22, 2005

I live in a historic neighborhood, and I understand that old buildings often lack the amenities of a newer hotel. However, the Rathbone Inn lacks a modicum of cleanliness and safety.

All the windows in my suite were nailed shut, pretty much guaranteeing that in case of a fire I'd be smoked alive (Cajun blackened traveler?). And no sense calling for help on the phone in the room because the number to reach the front desk is printed incorrectly on the phone. Housekeeping service consisted of the housekeeper simply depositing a plastic bag of linens on the floor of the room....never mind picking up the dirty linens or even cleaning the room. The floor was so dirty that if I walked just a couple steps barefoot the soles of my feet became black with grime. Oh yeah, and the dried bodily fluids that stained my blanket.....GROSS! There's lots more that I could complain about, but don't get me started.

I appreciated the opportunity to support a small business and experience a beautiful city like New Orleans, but the Rathbone was a big disappointment and a big waste of money.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
RathboneGM, General Manager at Rathbone Mansions, responded to this review, November 26, 2010
To all previous guests, I'm the New General Manager of the property as of 10-22-2010, I have replaced all employees, re-keyed the entire property, I have done numerous upgrades on all rooms, such as new bed spreads, complete cleaning of both properties at 1227 Esplanade Rathbone I and Rathbone II at 1224 Esplanade Ave. The Jacuzzi/Pool have both been fixed--The jacuzzi is the only one that is heated, the pool is not heated as it's seasonal. The breakfast person is wonderful and we have completely revamped our breakfast. Their is on-going updates that I'm doing as well as an overhaul of our own website and I will post a blog that will let you know about the updates as I have completed them, once our new website is up and running, which should happen in the next few weeks. One of the major upgrades in process is putting in flat screen tv's in the rooms. The Wireless Internet has been updated so that people have a better signal while in their rooms. I've also added a wireless TV that you can check your email, print out boarding passes, emails ect in the Breakfast/Living Area at 1244 Esplanade Ave where you check in and have breakfast. Breakfast hours are from 8:30am-10:30am CST and then it opens back up at 3pm-5:30pm. Also the reservation hours have been updated to Monday-Friday 9am-5:30pm CST and Friday & Saturdays are from 10am-12pm CSTand Check in is from 3pm-5:30pm Monday-Friday, after hours and on weekends, we must be contacted directly so that we can give you the instructions for self check in. To any guest that wants to give us a try again in the future contact me directly and I will be happy to give you a discount or free night in combination with a 3 night stay or longer, excluding special events/conventions. Also we are pet friendly, but that will require a $50.00 non refundable deposit and the pets can not be left unattended as they get anxiety and they will disturb other guests, other wise we have boarding options available for you. I hope everyone will see this and understand that NEW Management is a good thing and makes everything better when you have someone that has been updating hotels for over 15 years and will take very good care of our guests.

Best Regards,

Kristian Armer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Reviewed November 15, 2004

Stayed at Rathbone I on the north-bound side of the street. What a horrible thing to have happened to a historic home! Cut up into apartments in most likely the mid 80's, I doubt the rooms had even been painted since then. There was a refrigerator left from that time rusting away in the room. The bathroom was water damaged and equipped with the cheapest apartment special fixtures I have ever seen. The heater/ac was partialy dissasembled and non-functional. Furniture was cheap particle board reproduction and was damaged.

It was a horrible excuse for a historic inn. It would apear that those guests "in" with the hosts were given posh rooms across the street at Rathbone II where the hosts live. It seems that Rathbone I is used as an over-priced tourist trap in order to finance the renovations on rathbone II and pad the wallets of the owners. To the owners - you are letting a historic gem waste away for personal profit and esentially ripping off half of your clients by placing them in these rooms.
To those thinking of staying, it is your choice to take the gamble of which home you will get. I think your odds are better and your money better spent elsewhere. I left this "Inn" feeling like a sucker who just fell for the old bait and switch.

• Stayed January 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 1, 2004

The Rathbone Inn...along with Richard and his wife...was an absolutely wonderful experience. Even though my girlfriends and I chose a weekend of a tropical storm to visit New Orleans (yes, we get the weather channel! lol), Richard went out of his way to help us find things to do and to make our stay more enjoyable. From the moment we arrived until we left, Richard was on call for any questions or needs we might have. The breakfast each morning was lovely, and the rooms were charming. Richard even went out of his way to make sure we all had SAFE cab rides to the airport, as we were all leaving at separate times.
Although some people might prefer the glitz of a modern hotel, give me old world charm and REAL people who care about your stay any time. Can't wait to go back next summer with my whole family when my husband gets home from Iraq.

• Stayed October 2004
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 5, 2004

Everyone at the Rathbone Inn was very helpful and made this the best vacation ever. With the help of Richard, we were able to cover as much ground and history as possible in just 5 days. The room was spacious and very comfortable. The off street parking made it even more affordable and we can't wait to book our next visit to the New Orleans area.

We have ever stayed at a bed & breakfast before but this experience was so good that we cant wait to do it again. The Rathbone Inn was very affordable experience and I would highly reccommend it if you are interested in visiting the French Quarter and experiencing old New Orleans.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 1, 2004

Last year we had a girls' weekend away and stayed at the Rathbone. We had such a great time, we went back again this year. We're planning on making it a yearly tradition!!!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 27, 2004

I am not fond of B&B's but this place was wonderful! I live right outside of New Orleans but I wanted to give our out of town guests a memorable visit. The place was beautiful, room was spacious and the people (guests and the owner) were as friendly as can be and parking was extremely convenient. We walked to bourbon street and the french market (our car stayed parked from the time we checked in until we checked out). The walk is not bad and we did not feel the least bit concerned of crime in that area. The locals are friendly and non-intimidating and everything that you would like to see or do is within reasonable walking distance, Cab fare is only a few dollars if you do not have the energy to walk.

It was a wonderful experience for all of us.

I strongly recomend staying at the Rathbone Mansions before you consider making reservations at a hotel, especially if you are into the beautiful homes in the french quarter area. We felt at home from the moment we were escorted to out room :)

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 7, 2004

We arrived to a room that was marginally clean, had mismatched linens, a stained bathtub. We've stayed at many bed & breakfasts and this place had none of the romantic niceties. My husband noticed termite shavings on top of the window a/c unit. The first day we were there our room never got cleaned. On the third night (the only night we didn't turn the a/c unit on) we were invaded by termites flying all over the room. They were literally crawling out of the wall. We contacted the management and their suggestion was they could cover up the site in the wall with tape. We said, "thanks, but no thanks" and got a room at the airport (hard to get rooms at the last minute on a Saturday night in this city).

I give this place a minus-2 star rating.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member