“Friendly folk”

Ranked #49 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
San Jose, California
“Friendly folk”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. Mz.Pat is a hoot. Breakfast was delish.I was here on a girl's trip to Essence Festival .It felt like I was visiting family.not very fancy but our room was clean and well attended to.It was kinda nice being in a quaint French quarter neighborhood. It was a short taxi ride to Bourbon st. Better with a car.I would definately stay here again but on a romantic vacay.

Room Tip: Outside rooms face the courtyard but the stairs are a beast with luggage and cocktails
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed July 21, 2014

It's been years since I've stayed at a B&B and my husband never has stayed at one before so we weren't quite sure what to expect. We both appreciate history and love New Orleans so when we decided to make the drive and spend a weekend in the city, I threw out the idea of staying at a local B&B.

Initial thoughts: Driving in, if you're coming from East I-10, you'll most likely get off at St. Bernard Ave. If it's your first time visiting, please note that New Orleans is full of history and most areas are very established and older. Visually, you may feel uneasy but it's really not an area to be concerned about. Once you get to Esplanade, the area is actually quite beautiful and peaceful (depending on the time of year ;) ). It's a divided street that is very Garden District esque and only a few blocks from the tourist filled French Quarter attractions. My husband and I walked everywhere and left our car parked in an approved spot on Treme St next door to the main mansion. As with any city, please pay attention to the street signs identifying where parking is permitted. As a general rule of thumb, don't block driveways (even if it's the driveway in front of one of the Rathbone Mansions and definitely do not park on another residence's paveway - you will get towed). The only Rathbone parking to my knowledge is the parking immediately behind the main mansion near the pool and outside deck.

The Room: We stayed across the street in the salmon building on the third floor. You are given the code to the front door so you may come and go at all hours as you please. Once we got up the stairs, we were winded and hot (there is not a hallway window AC unit on the third floor). As soon as we got in the room, it felt cool and comfortable. We started to make ourselves at home - such a difference from the 'posh' hotels that we normally frequent. Each room is different and has character. Our room had a microwave, AC unit, Kitchen sink, mini refrigerator, 1 Queen size bed, a bathroom, two couches, TV, and storage dressers. We had several storage spaces that looked like something from 'the people under the stairs' but it made the room that much more interesting and intrigued the history buffs inside of us both.

The Staff: Absolutely incredible. Again, this was my husband's first time staying at a B&B and my first time since childhood. There were cookies and candy everywhere and breakfast was delicious! We had Dirty Rice and Eggs our first morning and French Toast the second morning. Don't be shy, walk right up to the kitchen doors and the lovely Mrs. Tanya will greet you with a friendly smile and whip you up something yummy! Don't forget to clean up after yourselves though. You don't have to wash your own dishes but be polite and put your dirty dishes in the specified areas near the kitchen. The seating is limited and you're sharing a table with strangers but, keep in mind, you do have some things in common. Strike up a conversation and get comfortable. If all else fails, ask your new neighbors about themselves and where they're from, what their plans are for the day, etc. My husband was a little uncomfortable with this on day one but really warmed up to the idea by our second day.

Overall, this LGBT friendly B&B was exactly what we pictured and more. It was quaint, peaceful and was a great change of pace from the Waldorf Astoria's, Hyatt's, W's, Hilton's, etc. The amazing staff is what ultimately made the difference for us. They helped make it a genuine 'Nawlins' experience. We can't wait to come again!

*Disclaimer - Depending on the time of the year, I can't promise it will be quiet. We will be coming back for Decadence weekend and, one year, we'll make it back for MG at Rathbone. Something tells me the Rathbone knows how to celebrate. :)

4 Thank Theresa G
houston, tx
Reviewed July 16, 2014

My 3 year old and I stayed at the Rathbone. Our room was on the side of the Main House... at first I was a little leery of the area because of the I10 and Claiborne exchange. No fears though after arriving at the Rathbone. It was a great location: sort of central to most things, the Quarter, the Metairie cemetary (angel sclptures), the Garden District, the Algiers ferry... we had a great time!

Breakfast was great, always something offered besides cereal, yogurt and toast. The hostesses were wonderful ladies: cheerful and full of answers to any question about the area.

Although wi-fi was available, I had continual trouble connecting and staying connected...

The only drawback was a lack of close proximity restaurants for evening meals with a toddler. [Do NOT order from Dominos... my 2 entrees were overdone and dry, but that has nothing to do with the Rathbone.]

We enjoyed our stay and the people we met.

Room Tip: With kids, staying at the main house is a plus: it is close to breakfast and the pool is located jus...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stayed in Rm 302 7/11,12.
This is a really nice B&B in New Orleans "proper". The street they are on, Esplanade, is lined with beautiful buildings.The buildings are very old. 1846, 1850....but they are maintained nicely. The architecture found on both the interior and exterior are such a great pleasure to view. You feel like your staying in a museum. The room we had was a King Suite, provided as a free upgrade due to availability. During our stay, there was some alterations being done to the exterior of the building, but this did not cause any issues for us. The workmen were quiet and respectful of the guests. There is a beautiful courtyard with a pool and hot tub to the rear of 1244, but we did not use them during our visit - maybe next time!
The walk is a few blocks to the French Quarter. About 5 blocks to Bourbon Street.
There is a significant walk to the section of Bourbon street most people want to visit, where most of the activities occur. This may be very important to some folks. It was inconsequential for us, we enjoyed the walk early in the day and purchased all day transit passes for $3 per day, so we had little to no difficulty travelling the city. if you go to Bourbon street and party really well (hehe), you may want to jump on a rickshaw bicycle that are all over the place and available for a modest fee from that area back to the mansion. Also kind of cool to ride in one of those things! We kinda liked the idea that we went "home" at the end of the day...it was quiet and felt quite safe at the mansion.
The king size bed we had in 302 was so comfy I want one of my own! The room could have easily accommodated an additional bed. The space was incredible! There was a writing desk and a kitchen as well as a pantry and plenty of storage for clothing in the beautiful antique dresser. There was at least a 40 inch flat screen tv in the room with HD programming available.
The ac was individual to the room and worked really well, along with the overhead ceiling fan it was quite cool even on the warmest of the two days when it hit 92.
The food served at breakfast was individual custom omelets or a " breakfast bake" that was a casserole made with eggs, sausage, etc and was quite tasty. The breakfast seemed to be complete with fresh OJ, community coffee, various breads and cold cereals. We weren't very hungry, but we still ate WAY too much :-). It was all so good and fresh - and hey - we were on vacation!!!
We are looking forward to returning to Rathbone for the comfy accommodations and excellent service. We felt like we were visiting family. You will too! Don't hesitiate..Set a date - go to the Rathbone when visiting NOLA. Enjoy!

hey - grab the cookies on the way out the door for a snack later while your out! They are yummy!

Room Tip: Call and talk to the proprietor directly as far ahead of your date as you can.
3 Thank CanRoxygo
Panama City, Florida
Reviewed July 13, 2014

My Husband and I loved our stay. We had a great room that was a quiet retreat after our busy days. Only minutes from Frenchman, The French Market and The Quarter it was really convenient to everything. Tonya the amazing breakfast lady serves up great coffee, a delicious breakfast treat, and advice for your day. Also they leave baskets of cookies around the property. It is located on a tree lined street that makes walking around easy and scenic. Next time we will bring our family. Just know that if you arrive after the office closes everything will be waiting for you in the box.

1 Thank Jessica N
Louisburg, North Carolina
Reviewed July 8, 2014

i just left new orleans this was my first trip to new orleans. Pat and Tonya was wonderful we felt right at home. we had no problem with our room it was clean and the breakfast was wonderful. we enjoy the hottub and pool area, great location unless u don"t like to walk, everything is walking distance. Pat was very helpful. I will see u next year Pat and Tonya thanks for everything.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank delois1cs
Reviewed July 7, 2014

First, let me say that the general manager, Pat, was very accommodating to my wife and I. Knowing that we were celebrating our wedding anniversary, she upgraded us to the Louis Armstrong Suite, which was a nicely appointed 2 bedroom suite on the second floor, looking out over Esplanade Ave. with a very lovely balcony and a terrific hammock. We both enjoyed the breakfasts, including a variety of breads, teas, cold cereals, oatmeal, fresh strawberries, yogurts, with a special entree cooked every morning by Tanya. I loved the salt water pool and heated Jacuzzi (I wish it was a little hotter in the mornings) after my runs around the neighborhood. My wife & I liked the neighborhood with all the other old & elegant homes lining the street and was an easy walk for us to the French Quarter. Always awaiting you were special treats in the main house front parlor after you returned from a day of exploring. We had a fabulous experience and can't wait to return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple