“A welcome home while visiting New Orleans”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rathbone Mansions

Rathbone Mansions
Ranked #48 of 137 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon, United States
“A welcome home while visiting New Orleans”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Rathbone Mansions is an older and charming building, with high ceilings and lovely details. The rooms are clean and very comfortable. The staff was super friendly and helpful, with towels or advice. And after a night at a club, a midnight dip in the pool was an excellent way to end the day.
The location is in many ways ideal--Esplanade Avenue is a beautiful walk by itself, and you are only blocks away from the French quarter, Armstrong Park, St. Louis Cemetery or Interstate-10 if you need to travel by car. And the price of the rooms is the clincher. When we return to New Orleans, this will be our first choice for our stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jon G
NewOrleansPat, General Manager at Rathbone Mansions, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. I remember you both and hope you will use this as your home away from home when you visit New Orleans.

Love, Pat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Durham, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Spent 4 nights at the Historic Rathbone in August. Stayed in the main Mansion in room #2. Our Standard room was very spacious. It was clean but could use some TLC ( fresh paint in bathroom and new bathroom fixtures) but it did not bother us at all.

The breakfasts were great but we had to miss it twice due to early tours and it not starting until 8:30am. They did not have another option (like fruit or cereal bars or coffee) if you had to leave before the 8;30am breakfast start. It did have a fridge and microwave in the room though s we just planned accordingly.

Our favorite part of the Rathbone was the 24 hour salt water pool. Very clean and usually deserted. We loved taking a pool break in the afternoon and or after returning in the evening.

Ms. Pat was very friendly as was the lady who did breakfast ( not sure of her name). The other office staff member, not so much. We didn't have much interaction with the staff though so it wasn't a big deal.

I was worried after a few reviews about walking at night ( we didn't have a car) but Esplanade is totally fine. I definitively recommend walking straight down Esplanade to either the trolley or to bourbon and then cutting across. I never felt nervous walking back late at night ( and I am big chicken!!). It took about 10-15 minutes to get to Trolley/market area or populated area of Bourbon.

Overall, totally satisfied with our stay. Definitely a great value and we had a great 15 year anniversary trip!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Unique mansion with really interesting art. Very special people run the inn. The room was perfect. Very clean and really comfortable beds. The pool area is great. Good lacation easy walk to the quarter. We will stay again. Dawn and prissy are super nice.

• Stayed August 2012
NewOrleansPat, General Manager at Rathbone Mansions, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
It was great to have y'all hope to see you again soon, Pat
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

I really don't know where to start. I read so many reviews before taking the plunge and reserving at the Rathbone via bookit.com. The price was right, and I like to stay in this kind of place. Pat and her staff could not have been more accommodating. This was a trip for my birthday, and I could not have had a better time in NOLA, including my stay at the Rathbone. I booked a Deluxe Queen and am so in love with Room 9 that I will be requesting it for future stays. From check-in with Tina, to finally meeting Pat on Saturday, to Dawn (who is an absolute DOLL), I felt right at home the entire time. My stay was August 10-13, 2012.

I was super early for check in, but the room was ready so I was able to check in early. I know that's just a timing thing, but it made me happy. Since no one else was coming to stay in "my room" on Monday when I left, I was allowed to lock up my bags in the room until the hotel shuttle picked me up at 4. Now THAT'S hospitality! It also allowed me to cool off a bit after walking around and sweating all day in the New Orleans heat.

My room was a long skinny one, but for me was absolutely perfect. No tub, but I don't think I've ever taken a bath while traveling, so that didn't really bother me. I've seen some comments about the make-up washcloths, and it makes perfect sense to me to have them be black instead of white, which can be stained by mascara, foundation, etc. There's a reason all of mine at home are dark blue. My room was in the "main building" and my friends stayed across the street in the other mansion. GOOD LORD THEIR ROOM WAS HUGE! Part of the charm of this place is that every room is unique and once you know what you like, you can always request what room you want next time. My bed was comfy and it was really nice to have a small fridge and microwave in the room, although I never had occasion to use the microwave.

Breakfast was so much more than you'd get with the 'free breakfast' at a lot of chains. Homemade blueberry muffins one day, breakfast casserole the next... I wish I had thought about asking Pat about her infamous grits and greens, but that's OK. I can proudly call myself a "repeat offender" now, so I'm sure that day will come. With Megabus now running between Houston and NOLA, it's inevitable that I will be spending more time there.

The pool - it's a good size for relaxing and visiting, and the two nights I went down there were a lot of fun, just kind of hanging out and enjoying a beer with other guests. There is an actual bar, so I suppose if you just wanted to stay in and throw your own pool party, you could hit the liquor store and have your own bar set up right there. Very unique concept and nice. Kind of like a party deck with barstools and tables/chairs. Bummer that the heating element was broken for the hot tub, but no one really cared. It IS August in NOLA. One thing needed at the bar is a beer bottle opener mounted to the side, but once we found a manual one there really wasn't an issue, unless the opener walked off.

About the neighborhood. I never felt unsafe. I think that everyone should use common sense (being aware of your surroundings, etc) when traveling, and if you just are not into the 15 minute or so walk to the "heart of the quarter", then cabs are cheap and easy to come by. I'm a walker, so the location was perfect for me. It'll be even nicer when I come back later this year when the weather is cooler. Frenchman is easily accessible, the start of Bourbon is just a few blocks away, and Louis Armstrong Park right around the corner. There's a bar (Buffa's) that is just a few blocks down Esplanade that has killer food and live music on the weekends. Next time I'm going to take the bus up to City Park. I didn't realize until I was leaving that the bus that stops in front of the Rathbone goes straight there. So I'd say it's in a pretty good location for travelers that are visiting the city to do more than party on Bourbon Street.

I can't really comment on parking since I didn't drive, but there are 5 spots at the main building for guests next to the pool. I think most people just park and then walk everywhere. I didn't see too many cars coming and going from that particular spot. My friends that stayed across the street never had a problem parking right in front of the building, and we took the car out to tour Abita, so it's not like they got lucky once. It seemed that everyone staying in that building was able to park right there on the street in front of the building.

All in all, I really had a great experience at the Rathbone. I told Tina when I was leaving that I didn't want to go. I'll be back, Pat! Thank you again to you and your awesome staff!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Khrys F
Hey thanks for the great review, can't wait for your return. Cheers, Pat
Corinth, Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was the worst hotel experience I've ever had. We thought booking here would be something new and different than where we typically stay when traveling to New Orleans, well it was both new and different in terrible ways.

Problem #1: When we arrived at the hotel, we parked and quickly figured out that there are two locations, and the one we had the address for was NOT the location where we needed to check in. So we drove a few blocks down the road to find the actual location where we were to check in.

Problem #2: We walked up to the hotel only to find it locked, and no one attending the office, a hand written sign on the door stating that envelopes with our names were in the mailbox. We had a total of 3 rooms booked, 2 under one name and one separately in our group, there was only one envelope.

Opening the envelope gave you pages worth of instructions on how to get into your room, it was like a scavenger hunt just to get the room key, one did not want to be on as we were tired after a long drive and just wanted to get to our rooms.

After driving back to the other location to be sure the other envelope(s) weren't there, when they weren't I tried to call the office number for the hotel that was written on the door. No answer there, they listed an "emergency" number to call if we were having any problems. I dialed the emergency number and eventually a lady picked up, she immediately sounded grumpy so I calmly explained the situation and that we were missing the envelopes for the other 2 rooms, it's late we're tired and need our rooms we've already paid for.

She asked me how I booked the reservations, to which I replied Bookit.com and after hearing that she immediately shut me off, told me to call Bookit and they would have to figure it out. This is the point at which I knew this reservation wasn't going to end well. It was hot, we were stuck outside with no rooms and no one to help us, and the only people who could weren't willing to do anything to help their customers, instead deflecting the problem onto Bookit.com

After calling Bookit.com I was greeted by a very cheerful woman who I explained the issue to, she put me on hold and tried to reach the Rathbone Mansions, she also tried the emergency number and they did not answer for her. She came back on the line and informed me there was no answer, but would try again. After a few minutes she came back with the same, no answer from the Rathbone Mansions on any of the phone numbers.

At this point we had been trying to simply get into our rooms for 1.5 hours, with zero help from the Rathbone Mansions staff or management. Fortunately before I even had the chance to ask the Bookit.com operator let me know she would look for another hotel near and get us transferred as fast as she could.

We ended up getting booked at the Hotel Royal in the French Quarter, and let me tell you after seeing the one room we did get into at the Rathbone Mansions, I was very happy we were transferred.

That brings me to my review of the actual room if at this point you'd still want to try to stay here. They aren't anything to rave about, the room we ended up getting into was pretty small, the bed was extremely uncomfortable and the whole place smelled strange. If the service was outstanding, based on the room alone I would not stay here or recommend it to anyone with so many better options available not far away for the same price point.

We had a group with 3 rooms booked, upon having to switch 2 of those rooms to the Hotel Royal, we were not going to leave our friend (female) alone to her room in the neighborhood the Rathbone Mansions are located in, so she ended up staying in our 2nd room at the other hotel and not using her reservation, as a result of the Rathbone not doing their job. She called the next day to speak with them about a refund for her room, and was greeted with an even more unpleasant attitude from the management. They told her it was not their problem, if she "wanted the room, she could come back and get her key", but they would not refund it because it was not their problem. We tried to explain the situation further, but they had no interest in hearing it, only raising their voice at her and badgering her.

The problem could have been very easily solved by Rathbone, but they had no interest, didn't answer the phone when they knew Bookit.com would be calling, and left us to our own devices late at night, in a place we did not know, after a long drive in the hot New Orleans night. It was the worst customer service I've ever had.

Do not book here, there are many better options.

Room Tip: The one room we actually were able to get into was below average, the mattress was dead and extremel...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Dustin M
southampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed at the Rathbone 5 nights and was very much looking forward to it. My room was ok but nothing special. it was fairly dark in there as it had a view of the wall but then again i wasnt there very often during the day. the check in arrangments after hours are a bit odd but it works. it is conveniently located 10 min walk from the French quarters so that was excellent and it felt very safe at night to walk to and from the B&B.
the breakfast was very good and with the cook making something new every morning.
the major disappointment for me is that over 5 nights, my bed was made up just twice and the bathroom NEVER cleaned properly. I am not even sure it got cleaned at all.
there was also the issue that some guests were very noisy until about 2-3 am in the pool and since there isnt any manager on site, no one deals with it.
the room was very hot at night if you switched the monstruous beast of AC box that was in room. it was so loud that i couldnt keep it on but later worked out a system that if i left it on all day, switched it off when i got in at night and put the overhead fan on I was fine.
if I go back to NOLA and i am planning it I will not be looking at staying there, sorry but people get paid to do their job and that includes cleaning bathrooms.

Room Tip: facing the street may be quieter in the end so you dont get to hear the potential loud guests in poo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank cathy26_2001
You write me this review and yet you never said a word while you were here, maybe if you had I could have helped, but too late now. It always amazes me when people complain about the noise, New Orleans is a party town, had you bother to call and say that you would like a quite room, I would have done my best to accomadate you, some people like very bright rooms and others dark ones, you can't please everyone, and we sure did'nt please you, but really how can we if you don't speak up till you're gone. PS. if you're gonna visit in August it's always HOT!!!
The check in arrangements are all on the website, reading it would have helped you, and I live here so managerment is always around, however I too have a life, sorry but I cannot be on site 24/7, people come here for that reason, laid back no worries attitude. Maybe a hotel with 24 hour everything would have been a better choice for you.
Lynnwood, Washington, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

We arrived at the Rathbone Mansion B@B at 8pm to find our name on an envelope in a open mailbox on the front porch in the dark. The premises were poorly lite. We read the letter with instructions of how to access a key to our room and our room was located across the street. It was located in a lock box towards the back. It was dark and we used a flashlight to do the combination. The box was scary to open. In the dark we crossed the street and found a dark porch with another lock combination. We climbed three flights of very steep, long stairs to find our room on the third floor. The key had to be giggled to make it work. The hallway was so dark we used our cell phone light to see the number on the door. The room was dark. After we found lights, it looked scary. We turned on the air conditioning. It was loud and noisy. The was nail clipping on the floor by the bed. We found several black long hairs in the mini fridge. The shower curtain had both black and red mold and mildew more than 24 inches on the bottom. The bathtub was filthy. The toilet rocked when you sat on it. The dust on the headboards of both beds was so thick you could write your initials in it. The ultimate no deal and decision not to stay was a roach the size of the palm of my adult hand on the wall. We left and wrote the management a note of cancelling our stay and left it in their mailbox. The manager, names Pat called back the next day and did not even apologize or offer any solution. She told us our issues were with Bookit and that they have had a lot of rain lately. There was no parking on the premises. We had to park a block away in a very dark street. The neighborhood was very scary. Near the French Quarter is not true. This property is misrepresented and a long way from Bourbon Street. I would not recommend this place.

Room Tip: The photos on the website are deceiving. Management is not on the premises.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Sandre G
NewOrleansPat, General Manager at Rathbone Mansions, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Well this is indeed the worst review I have gotten in a long While. And it is not warrented! Most of what you describe as a problem is wrong. The Lock box you speak of is on the front side of the house not the back as you said, as for it being scary to open, I cannot imagine why? you put in a code and push a button, how scary can that be??? The self check in is all described on the bookit website where you booked your room, as well it states that every room in both mansions have steps leading up to them,aslso one of your complains, We did not misrepresent anything you just did'nt read. The Mansion you were in was built in 1850, the other one in 1846, so they are old, the clawfoot tub you spoke of was not filthy, just an old clawfoot tub, the shower curtain did NOT have mold of any kind I assure you of that, the shower curtain is maroon and when I went to check it the next day,it had oviously blead onto the shower curtain liner that was white. I did see a little dust on the headboard but did not see your initials as you stated you put there. We do have off street parking 5 spaces are available behind the 1244 property, i guess you did not see that. As well the parking on our streets surrounding the property is free, unlike the french quarter, we do not usually have parking problems, except at major holidays, so whats wrong with parking a block away? I do have a passenger zone in front of both properties so you can unload your luggage before you park your car. We have a hot tub and lovely salt water swimming pool on one property that both Mansions use. As for me calling you the next day I DID APOLOGIZE to you right off the bat. With that being said had you called the emergency phone # I would have helped you that night but you never gave me the chance, as you admmitted yourself you left a note in my mailbox with your key, so how could I offer you any assistance? You say we are a long way from bourbon street, that is just your opinion, I do not believe 5 blocks is a long way. You said you would not recommend this place, well I would, and i recommend you read up on where your going so you won't be so unhappy. I like happy guests, and do everything in my power to make them happy, as whoever is reading this will know by looking at more reviews on this site.