Rathbone Mansions
$179
$153
Preferred Hotels
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$99
  • Breakfast included
$259
$249
$189
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$117
$111
$210
$189
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn New Orleans - Chateau Lemoyne(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$151
$117
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
Omni Riverfront Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$144
$118
$130
$102
  • Pool
Omni Royal Orleans(New Orleans)
$197
Omni Hotels
  • Pool
All reviewsmiss patmain mansionold mansionpool and hot tubfrench quarterport of callother guestsesplanade avenuewithin walking distancethird floorbreakfast each morningcookie cutterfew blocksfrenchman stsouthern hospitalityceiling fanfront porch
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This was our first experience in a B&B and absolutely loved it! If you prefer lux & updated amenities, go elsewhere but I personally loved the charm this property has. We stayed for two nights during the week and checked in about an hour early so we were able to obtain a parking spot in the very small lot, so I would recommend getting there early unless you don't mind trying to park on Esplanade. It is located a few streets away from the French Quarter so it is very quiet and peaceful at night. You will need to be okay with walking to stay here unless you don't mind paying for cabs. Although it is only a few blocks from the French Quarter, it is at the far end so it takes probably 15 mins to get to the French Market/Jackson Square area. The area is residential and, as with any other city, you need to be careful when walking, but I definitely felt safe inside the property. The pool/bar area was a definite plus and breakfast was wonderful!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JusineS
NewOrleansPat, General Manager at Rathbone Mansions, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2012

And the Rathbone Loves you too! Thanks so much for the glowing review, hope you can visit soon, you're the kind of guests we love!

Cheers, Pat

Reviewed June 6, 2012

Im writing this review the same night I checked in. Parking is limited. There are 3 spots on location, the rest are on the street if you are lucky. The mansion is a glorified house and looks absolutely terrible on the outside. I did get a "free upgrade" to a king size room. The inside of the room was pretty nice. King size bed, kitchen sink with counter microwave and mini fridge. Their make up removing clothes is a washcloth. The bathroom is up 3 steps so make sure you are 100% dry so you don't slip on your way out. The pool is about the size of a hot tub which is fine if the owner isn't in it with 3 other people. I havnt gone to sleep yet so I can comment on the noise level or the breakfast. It IS close the the French quarter but the residential side of it. Good luck walking to anything worth seeing in the heat and good luck walking at night. I was walking back to my car at royal and esplanade and there were police outside who told me the area was a crime scene and they were waiting for the coroner. Know what that means?? Dead body. He escorted me back to my car an said under no circumstances to be out alone and do not carry anything valuable at any point. I'm in the process of trying to get my money back.

Very very poor impression of new Orleans so far. I drove 20 hrs from Chicago and if I get a refund I will be driving 20 hrs back TONIGHT. Absolutely stay somewhere else. Do not risk being in this neighborhood. There are better b and b's especially at at this price!

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank Bvor

Wow! I am shocked, because I remember meeting you the day you checked out and you did'nt say anything to me about your complaints. Maybe writing a review after a 20 hour drive from Chicago was not the best idea. With that being said, There is limited parking which we do say on the bookit website,We have 5 spots for parking not 3 and parking around the property is free unlike the french quarter. A Mansion is a Glorified House, your a teacher, look it up in the dictionary. Our makeup washcloths are dark in color so our white ones for bathing do not get ruined, therefore we don't have to replace as often, keeping costs down. The pool is not the size of a hot tub that WAS the hot tub! Had you bothered to walk and see the saltwater pool is attached to it, and is 30,000 Gallons hardly small. Also there is a picture of it on the bookit site and well as ours. And are you saying the owner should not be allowed to use the pool or hot tub? RIDICULOUS! The room you were in is split level, you compalin about 3 steps to the bathroom with wet feet? Really? What do you do when its raining outside stay still till the rain stops and everything dries up and then go on your way? I don't think so. By the way Every city has crime no matter how small or big, Chicago is certainly no acception. Sorry you had a bad experience in New Orleans, I know you came here looking for a teaching job, I'm thinking you're not the teacher for New Orleans, we are a fun town, sometimes you get what you give, none of which was our fault. You will NOT be receiving a refund from us.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

My mom and I spend 3 nights at the Historic Rathbone Mansions on Esplanade in New Orleans in mid-May. We were able to bring my puppy along, and had a gorgeous room with a desk, couch, and large closet, with a fridge and microwave. The breakfast each morning was wonderful with fresh homemade treats and the staff were friendly and helpful. The french quarter was only blocks away and we found plenty of good food and bars along our walks.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank skyllo
NewOrleansPat, General Manager at Rathbone Mansions, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thanks for the great review, hope to see you here again! Cheers, Pat

Reviewed May 20, 2012

We stayed here recently, in the property across from the main house in #306. This was a "girls weekend" type getaway, so we booked the Mardi Gras suite, which is the largest of all the rooms offered by Rothbone. The historical value and quaint appearance of both properties is appealing, but they have seriously neglected the basic in upkeep and repairs. There were slats missing from the window shutters, several areas need a fresh coat of paint, curtains and walls had stains and tears, and overall the place seemed as though it could use a serious renovation. The rooms have ceiling fans, but they are unstable and make so much noise that you cannot leave them on overnight.

Our particular suite (#306) had 2 queen beds and one king bed, plus 1 bathroom, a couch, small kitchen table, microwave, and something of a kitchen (basically a beat up old 1/2 fridge and a sink). They didn't even supply any paper towels, silverware, dishes, or other types of eating utensils - only 6 glasses - so why the room was equipped with a "kitchen" is beyond me.

The floors are probably the most attractive part of the properties - all restored to their original state they are quite lovely. However, the staff was less than friendly (yes, we'd read some of the earlier mixed reviews, and they are not an exaggeration - while people were willing to acknowledge you, they definitely did not go out of their way to make you feel welcome). They offer breakfast included in the room rate every morning, but not until 8:30am (and it stops at 10:30am) so that makes your window of opportunity very small, They also work very limited hours - leaving by 2pm on Saturday and at 5pm on Thursday when we arrived they were already long gone. They will leave you instructions to locate your key, and they were very simple to follow, but it left you feeling somewhat unsafe. The walk to the heart of the city is in actuality about 10-15 minutes - about 5 blocks to Bourbon Street, but then another 8-10 blocks to the real activity.

The pool is quite nice - we spent part of an afternoon out there and it was clean and refreshing - they have a bar out there, but each time we were out there we never saw anyone working it so there weren't any options for beverages which would have been nice given the heat. The hot tub was not working when we were there - initially it said it was out of operation until 5/8, but then a new sign gave no definitive date for reopening.

Overall it is a nice place to gain insight into the historical parts of New Orleans, but at $350/night we felt that we paid way too much. Also, FYI they clearly state in the reservations process that you must pre-pay one night, but what they don't tell you is that the day before you arrive, they are going to charge the same credit card for the entire balance. Therefore, although we intended to pay cash for the remaining balance, we could not do so since they'd already charged a credit card on file (plus trying to catch someone at the office to pay them is almost impossible).

They state on their web site they have "limited" parking - what this really means is 3-4 slots ONLY; not nearly enough to accommodate all the rooms. We were forced to park on the street every night, which was unsettling as this property is not located in the best of neighborhoods.

Sadly, if they would invest some of the income they are getting (based upon the very high nightly rates) into the property, it could really become a lovely alternative when staying in New Orleans. However, at its current state I would say it is not worth the cost, hassles, lengthy walk to the key attractions, and poor upkeep of the rooms. We won't be staying here again during our next visit to NOLA.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are very noisy, as are those near the main property doors because it is constantly 'slamming' shut as visitors come in and out throughout the night.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank HeritageSoftail14843
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We stayed at the Rathbone for the Jazz Festival and couldn't have found a better place for location and comfort. Only a 20 min. walk to the Festival along Esplanade Ave which is tree lined with mansions along the way. 10 min walk in the other direction took us to the French Quarter or to Frenchman St for time after the festival. We felt very safe in this location. Our room was beautifully restored, over looking lush gardens with a nice patio. Classic 4 poster bed, room painted in deep rich colours. Bar fridge and microwave in a little kitchenette area, though there weren't any utensils or plates as you would expect in the cupboards. We had to cross the street to the main house for breakfast each day, which wasn't a problem to enjoy an authentic New Orleans meal on the porch. Definitely would stay here again!

Room Tip: A room overlooking the courtyard is more private though you'll have to climb a tall set of stairs with your luggage to get there.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple