“Don't Stay Here!!!”
Review of Rathbone Mansions

Rathbone Mansions
Ranked #29 of 141 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 5, 2008

This place is a complete dump and totally misrepresents itself online. First of all, We were supposed to check in at 3pm, our room wasn't "ready" until 6pm. They continued to tell us it would be ready in 20 minutes...well it was ready 3 hours later. One would think that since they inconvienced us with the wait, we would have been able to enjoy the evening wine and cheese...but they were too busy to serve wine and cheese that day. Upon arrival to the room, there were rats turds on the bed, cockroaches on the floor, broken mirrors, dirty counter tops, no towels in the bathroom. So we asked for towels...18 hours later, the next afternoon, they finally brought us towels, telling us that they had just finished in the dryer. (That is some dryer!) It is like a homeless shelter inside. There are people who live there who are less than respectful to short term guests. They scream and fight all hours of the night, bang on the door and the walls, run up and down the stairs and share the hallucinating behaviors with you. It is so awful...I could go on for days, just do yourself and me a favor...NEVER STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank travelallRhodeIsland

Reviewed October 22, 2007

Let me tell you about our stay at Rathbone Inn on Esplanade in New Orleans. First of all, it was not clean by any means. We had to kill a few roaches and the rug looked like it had never seen a vaccum cleaner. We found a dead rat and some whiskey bottles under one bed the morning we left. We had to call and request clean towels etc-forget cleaning our room! The rooms were sparsely furnished and they weren't antiques. What they have done in renovating this beautiful old home is a crying shame. Shoddy cheap furnishings and workmanship. And, there is no complimentary breakfast or wine and cheese in the parlor!! I could go on for days, but this will have to do.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank gandy01
Reviewed February 16, 2006

Those looking to stay in a beautiful old home, with a fabulous walk to the Boubon street area, will enjoy the Rathbone.
We sat on the front porch and had wine with a staff member.
The court yard was charming.
No, it is not top notch luxurious but it made you feel lke a part of
Old New Orleans.
If you want all the bells and whistles there are plenty of VERY expensive places that will give you that.
The Rathbone is a steal. Especially for those who are not fussy about every little detail.
I would stay there again and again.
Wisconsin girls.

• Stayed: October 2002
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Indio, California
Reviewed January 25, 2006

From the moment we walked in the Rathbone Mansion, we were in awe! Beautiful antique furniture, lovely room with vaulted ceiling and kitchenette, and great ambiance. The breakfasts were delicious, and host was very helpful. Close walking distance to the Quarter. We also loved the jacuzzi! We will definitely be staying at the Rathbone next time we visit New Orleans!

• Stayed: November 2004
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dothan, Alabama
Reviewed August 7, 2005

This was the worst two nights vacation that I have spent anywhere!! A friend set this deal up and I was foolish enough to listen to a local who supposedly knew the city. We arrived during a heat wave and found not only a filthy room, but no air conditioning in 100+ heat. I got sick and there was about 2 squares of toilet paper to be had; of course no staff at night to provide any either. I agree with the reviewer who appropriately called this place the Ratbone Inn. Spend a few more dollars and find a clean comfortable place or save your money and sleep on the street. At least it would be cooler.

• Stayed: June 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Nwe Orleans
Reviewed May 29, 2005

I live in New Orleans less than 3 miles from the Inn and decided to take a weekend vacation in my own city. We had been to a wedding at the Inn in the past and were curious about the rooms for a possible wedding venue of our own. I am very familiar with bed and breakfasts all the way up the Mississippi River and I have to say this was my least favorite. There was another review that this is a place to stay "where the locals go". Speaking as a local "DO NOT GO".

The room had no class. The room was filled with bad reproductions and unattractive linens/curtains/paint color. Not to mention the reproduction bed was missing two posts on a four posture bed. Also, the wayward posts were stored visibly in the room. The bathroom was small, with an even smaller stand up shower. The toilet seat was even too small for the toilet. The room was mis-matched, uninviting, and only superficially clean. The pool was the best feature. Too bad you can't sleep in a pool.

I love my city and know we have much more to offer our lovely visitors. I want people to go home and be overwhelmed with our hospitality and charm. Please do not choose to stay here because you will be cheating yourself.

• Stayed: May 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 28, 2005

This was my fourth trip to New Orleans and second stay at the Rathbone Inn. Our last trip my group stayed in Rathbone II due to AC problems in #1. While the #2 has been refurbished (finishing work when last there) I found the room to be nice but more like a standard motel room.
However on this visit I really enjoyed the larger apartment like setting that allowed my friend and I have to have our own space. True Rathbone I needs some TLC and Richard remarked it was going to be shut down soon for it (to a hefty amount), but unlike some of the other reviews I've found the staff to be more than helpful and friendly and have not feared for my safety while there.
I think if travelers want to stay in classic Inn's and become part of the city, Rathbone Inn 1 and 2 can be a great deal. If your picky and want t.v. remotes, and hotel services than stay in one on Canal Street or in the quarter and pay the price.

• Stayed: May 2005