“Mice in our room”

Ranked #22 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Houston, Texas
“Mice in our room”
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Yep, you read that correctly. During our weekend stay at the Ritz, we were treated to some extra guests in our adjoining rooms. After returning to our rooms during the second night of our stay, we saw not one, but at least two mice. This is something that I would find unacceptable at any hotel, and I am still in shock that we experienced this problem at a place that bills itself as a luxury property.

The hotel partially compensated us for our stay. While I appreciate the gesture, I will be staying elsewhere on my next trip to New Orleans.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
9 Thank n0lagirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
Rossendale, UK
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Mixed review for his hotel I'm afraid.

This is a busy hotel on the edge of the French Quarter. The rooms were decorated to Ritz Carlton standard, everything worked, and was to a high standard. We arrived at 6pm on Friday by car, valet parking and check in was very efficient, we were in our room within 20 mins. No problems with the room or room service. So the hotel ticks most boxes.

Breakfast on Saturday morning was disappointment. Only half the dining room was in use, and we had to wait 30 mins for a table. Not acceptable in a hotel of this standard. A number of other guess were very annoyed by this, and with a few more staff it could easily be avoided. I would not stay here again for that reason, in other respects it was a reasonable hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank RallyMonkey
New York, NY
Reviewed September 11, 2009

I can't help but think that the people who posted the review right before this one stayed at a different property. I was just there last weekend and thought that everything was spectacular - from the room to the room service to the staff overall.

We will definitely stay there again on future trips to New Orleans!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Loved this hotel in the past. But it definitely is a weak link in the chain's image. If you pay cash and then use a debit card for the $125 per day charge incidentals be warned: This was not a hold but an actual deduction. They deducted, by accident, almost $700 - then credited half, then I'm still having issues a week later getting the other half credited. Major hassle. Got a $75 hotel credit for my trouble.

Mold on the shower curtain. Lots. Not much attention to service in the men's spa- some grooming products were empty, towels were not picked up, attendants not present. It was very self-service.

Melange had lackluster service at times, other times it was fantastic. Definitely hit or miss. Warning. If breakfast is being served and Melange is full, do not agree to eat in the sofa room. Chances are you will be ignored. Despite sitting there in full view, one server responded "They didn't tell us you were over here".

Don't bother filling in special requests for extra towels online when you get the email confirming reservations. Had to call twice for those once I got to the room. Housekeeping staff was fantastic though in greeting guests...as was the bellman. The employees are very nice here.

Five stars is too generous now for this property. It's more like staying in a JW Marriott with just more marble around.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
5 Thank malibudelmar
san francisco
Reviewed September 9, 2009

Before writing this review, I was searching for vacation packages because I want to go on vacation -- again. I just came from one several days ago, and I'm still stressed. I was wondering why, when I realized, it's the Ritz, the EVIL staff at Ritz Carlton New Orleans and their cruddy rooms!!!

Let me backtrack a bit. I booked a 3 night, extended weekend stay at the Ritz. We paid for a package, and paid extra to stay at the Ritz because I have stayed at many, many a Ritz Carlton and the quality I was expecting, so I thought, is pretty much the same at all properties. Wrong, oh so wrong!

We were booked into a standard room. I really didn't care to see a view or anything out the window because the Ritz is located at Canal Street, and what am I really going to look at, street traffic? No thanks! If I was in Hawaii and staying at an oceanfront hotel, I would have opted for a completely category. Since this was New Orleans, I'm focusing my vacation time mostly on Bourbon, Royal and Magazine Streets. No time for looking at street traffic. Of course, the room category is where my living hell began.

We arrived at the hotel at night since we came from San Francisco. Even with a direct flight, it's 5 hours minimum. The room we were given reeked of smoke. Couldn't deal with that so my husband phoned the front desk for another room. We were told that a king bed is not available because we checked-in so late. Also, the room about 4 doors down from the elevator and extra hangers I requested when booking the hotel were completely forgotten too. The lady said they only had 2 doubles left if we wanted non-smoking. After more dickering, they upgraded us to a room with 2 kings, semantics, grr!!!

We thought everything was ok, until after we quickly unpacked and went out for dinner at 12 midnight (remember, we wasted 2 hours moving rooms already), it was time to sleep. Except I couldn't, all night long, because there was a weird noise coming from the ceiling. After wasting 1 sleepless night of my 3 night "relaxing" getaway, I called for maintenance to try and fix that noise. A couple of more hours wasted waiting for the guy, we were told that we'd have to move rooms because he'll pretty much have to rip open the ceiling before he could figure out what's wrong.

I called the front desk again and was told that no rooms were available at the time, but wait 2 more hours and they'll see what they could do. We go out for lunch and came back to the front desk, where we were shown another room in the same floor as their spa. This one now had the sound of running water. "Constantly" running water. And then another room, the 1 king bed as usual, nowhere near the elevator. After all the he-- we've been through so far and the sleepless night, they have the chutzpah to dump us onto the same room.

We promptly checked-out, because we have wasted 1-1/2 days of our very short vacation so far switching rooms thanks to the Ritz. While checking-out by the way, my husband overheard another person complaining at the front desk that there's a RAT in his room. Not a mouse, but a RAT!!!

This is the Ritz? Well, the price certainly reflected it (like $36 a day for valet service). That's not so bad if they delivered though, but didn't. It certainly didn't feel like a 5* property, not even 3* by a long shot.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
9 Thank eekthetripsinaweek
Baton Rouge
Reviewed August 31, 2009

My fiance and I had a phenomenal weekend at the Ritz-Carlton. The management made an extra effort to celebrate our engagement by sending flowers and champagne to the room where we were staying, and the music by Jeremy Davenport and the evening entertainment (it was Mardi Gras time, and there were parades rolling by the front of the hotel!) made it a very memorable stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank trippermcgee
Madison, WI
Reviewed August 25, 2009

Most people who stay at a Ritz Carlton property fall into one of two camps:

Camp 1: There is NOTHING the hotel can do wrong. These people are so blown away by the name on the door and the lion logo on the bath mat that everything is just perfect, no matter what.

Camp 2: There is NOTHING the hotel can do right. These people nitpick the tiniest details, demand utter perfection, pitch fits, complain, and won't settle for anything less than the warped idea of luxury that resides only in their own minds.

We don't fall into either of those groups.

Rather, we're totally reasonable people who travel three or four times a year, purely for enjoyment, and stay in 4, 4.5, and 5-star establishments. We have definite reasonable expectations, preferring not to complain, but willing to do so if something's really amiss.

We stayed four nights, so we had plenty of time to evaluate. In summary, while this is a nice hotel, it is certainly NOT in the league of other 5-star places we've experienced in Chicago, Vegas, and Boston.

Here's why:

1. STAINED LINENS BECAUSE OF A HOUSEKEEPING MISHAP. After checking in at 2:00 a.m. due to a late flight, we unpacked everything, took quick showers, and got ready to crash for the night. Upon pulling back the bedding, a nasty brownish stain was right there in the middle of the bed. And crumbs. And some colorful glitter. The bedding obviously hadn't been changed. Rather, the housekeeping staff mistakenly "freshened up" the room, as they typically do with turndown service. We called the front desk. The staff was apologetic and responded immediately, so we stood awkwardly (in our PJ's) in the bathroom for about 20 minutes as the bed linens were changed. It was an honest mistake, but not a good way to begin. Nothing was offered to us for our trouble.

2. TIRED DECOR. While nothing was obviously worn out or abused, the room decor just isn't on par with true 5-star establishments. A wrinkled dust ruffle. A pillowtop for the mattress that didn't quite fit. Outdated wallpaper. Uninteresting photos. Typical window treatments. Small rooms.

3. OLD BATHROOM. In terms of 5-star properties, the bathroom here doesn't cut it. Traditional bathtubs with straight shower rods (not even the easily installable curved ones) with fabric shower curtains and a $15 shower head provide a 1980's shower experience. A big pedestal sink and virtually no counter space looks OK, but provides no functionality. Towels that don't impress in the least. One (not two) marginal bathrobe. You get the point. In contrast, the bathrooms should be redone with glass shower stalls, higher-end fixtures, better towels, lots of counter space and beautifully lit mirrors.

4. THE LITTLE THINGS. One of our two room keys didn't work and had to wait at the desk twice to get it replaced. (They were having key problems, according to the staff member at the desk.) Trays from room service sat in the hallways a little too long. The door handles were worn. The housekeeping--while very good--was inconsistent. The windows were dirty. The lighting and the operation of room lights was outdated. Old phones and an outdated voicemail system. An unsolicited offer (via a voicemail message and flashing red light) to save 20% at the spa seemed a little tacky. The desk attendant--albeit 2:00 a.m.--wasn't particularly friendly or welcoming, particularly to two weary travelers who booked four nights at the R.C.

In all, we would recommend the Ritz Carlton, particularly if an internet special comes around. And the location is great if you want to spend a lot of time in the French Quarter.

If you go in expecting a 4-star experience, you'll get it. If you're expecting a 5-star one, you'll be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple