“Oasis in Big Easy”

Ranked #22 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
jackson MS
“Oasis in Big Easy”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Recently stayed at this property Aug. 7th_10th, 2014 at club room level (room 889). This was my 2nd stay here, having previously stayed in about February, 2012 while it was under renovation. We were warmly greeted by front desk and offered an upgrade for a modest price, which we accepted. If you stay at this property, Club level is the way to go. The Club level lounge is well appointed and immaculate and has endless wine, beverages as well as 7 food presentations daily. The staff is professional & warm without being overbearing. I was particularly fond of Madeline who works at the Club lounge. This property has an excellent gym/Fitness rooms, plenty of cardio machines, weights and core, yoga area. It also has an indoor resistance pool, but NO OUTDOOR POOL The room renovation was a huge hit with my wife & I. Our room was spacious, the bed had the best mattress I've ever slept on, great 50" LG HD TV, had two large windows overlooking the French Quarter and a splendid marble bath. Now the negatives: (1) the layout of this hotel is terribly confusing. Even though this was my 2nd stay, I found navigating from the lobby level to the club level & back extremely frustrating. One set of elevators only go from ground level to the 3rd floor. Another set of elevators go from the 4th through 9th floors. However, club levels are on the 8th & 9th floors and you must exit onto the 4th floor to go through a special door at the end of the hall to access the club level lounge, from which you can access other elevators to your club level room. (Clear as mud? Exactly.) I wasn't the only one having problems, as I was asked by 5 or 6 other guests how to get back to their room or to the lobby. (2) The in-room coffee makers are less than desirable, ours brewed about 1/2 shot of coffee per packet; maybe ours was defective. (3) Housekeeping twice failed to restock our coffee supply. (3) This property charges about $13 a day for WiFi, which I find excessive for a property of this class. I would expect WiFi to be free. (4) Although we traveled by train to the city and therefore didn't have a vehicle to park, I noted that parking was about $43 per night, so you need to keep that in mind as well. All that said, my wife and I enjoyed our stay very much, the Ritz is a great place to rest & recharge in NOLA.

Room Tip: I highly recommend staying on the Club level and room 889 has a great view of the French Quarter.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank WarmBeachLover13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed August 13, 2014

I stayed here for one night during Mardi Gras earlier this year and I have to say that it is definitely the nicest place that I have ever stayed in New Orleans. The room was a great size and the bathroom was phenominal. We didn't have a fridge in our room and when I called the front desk, someone delivered one in record time. The courtyard was a great place to hang out and chill ot get your self ready for the adventure awaiting in the French Quarter. The only down side was that the valet forgot we were waiting for our vehicle and it ended up being a long wait. Other than that, it was a great stay!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brandi D
karenivg
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Im so sorry it took me so long to write this review: After a long couple weeks opening a new business I flew a few employees to NOLA for weekend R&R.

The staff has to be commended for their outstanding professionalism and amazing customer service. The ladies working in the concierge lounge were amazing we had the most fabulous time right there! we did not want to leave! the food was outstanding and again I cannot say enough good things about the staff.

You have a loyal fan and im thrilled to be coming back around Sept 10th for a couple nights SOOO looking forward to it! You treatment to your Platinum members is exquisite!! YOU ARE BY FAR THE BEST other Ritz properties need to learn a lesson from you.

Room Tip: Have to stay in the hotel inside the hotel! amazing service you will not want to leave the concierge...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed in many hotels throughout the country, from Four Seasons, Windsor Court, Royal Sonesta, The W, etc... The Ritz-Carlton in New Orleans is really disappointing from the room to even the lobby. The room is very average with very few amenities, paint was chipping in the bathroom, walls seem thin because you can hear "everything" from the rooms next to you. You have to pay for the wifi it's not included in your rate. Overall it's just very average but if you are looking to be close to the French Quarter but is very average.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Chris W
JOliver-GM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Chris W,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Trip Advisor Community regarding your recent experience at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans. I have reviewed your comments and I appreciate your feedback.

If you would like to speak with me in more detail, please feel free to contact the hotel. We do hope you will consider staying with us again if you ever return to New Orleans!

Best Regards,
Jim Oliver
Fairbanks
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Staff is extremely friendly and professional. The hotel is in perfect location for quick walking access to the riverwalk, eats, and to all the craziness that happens at night.

The hotel had what look like to be renovations to the outside of it, so it kind of took away from the 'wow' factor. The foyer of the lobby to outside lacked personality and was more plain-jane than expected from a higher class hotel.

The rooms were great, the fridge is hidden underneath the TV but does not provide any room for your own storage - i.e. Leftovers. The bathroom door bangs up against the bathroom tub, so watch for that. They should put a stopper or damper to minimize any damage.

The overall hotel is good but came short for what I expected from a Ritz-Carlton hotel.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank AVILL907
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in March 2013, forgot to review. Same ritz standards, fantastic location, within easy walking distance to Bourbon Street, just around the corner, in fact. We would consider staying here again, staff very professional.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hawley, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

Hotel is in a good location to walk to many different attractions. Staff was very accommodating. Food that we tried in the Bistro & Bar area was delicious. Tuna Tar-Tar was a big favorite. Outdoor sitting area was very nice & cozy. Massage at the spa was amazing & possibly the best I've ever had.

• Stayed July 2014