“Excellent service, nice property, 'interesting' location”

The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
Ranked #21 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Staff: Every staff person was friendly and genuine. No way to improve the staff here.

Pros:
- staff, clean, bright, courtyard, cocktails, service, quiet
Cons:
- live band from 5:30 on in the bar some nights (loud), broken up layout, weight room a bit small

Go back? Yes, I would.

Right on Canal St. which is sort of like the Vegas strip of NOLA as far as I can tell.

Room Tip: Rooms that face Canal are probably noisy, but I am only guessing.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is one go the top hotels I have stayed in. I had a room on the club level and they really take care of you! Free everything! This was my first time staying on a club level of a hotel. I was in town on business with several others. The location is fantastic. It was pretty safe outside at night around the hotel. This was my second time to stay in the city. I really don't care to much for New Orleans, but I had a great time staying in a nice place. When I come back I will try to stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I am a native New Orleanian and recently stayed at the Ritz-Carlton for a bachelorette party I hosted for a college friend. We had a block of three rooms. I have stayed at the Ritz about 4-5 other times since it opened, and it is always a delight. This time, however, required a special review on Trip Advisor because it was so wonderful.

As always, the service is truly impeccable. They ALWAYS go the extra mile, including small, but meaningful, touches such as the bar staff brining us beers as we were gathered getting ready to head out for dinner or the spa staff bringing over chocolate covered strawberries for our spa bachelorette gathering.

Aside from all of the obvious things - plush bedding, the smell of perfect flowers in the lobby, and beautiful bathrooms - the constant replenishing of complimentary bottles of water in the rooms and the frequent "hellos" and "how is your stay going" from ALL staff that you may pass is what sets this hotel above pretty much all the rest in New Orleans.

I personally don't love the location - it is on the very seedy/quieter end of Canal Street - but believe that it is worth the trade off for a calm, high end respite from the howling masses of Bourbon Street and the heat of summer in New Orleans. In addition to the Windsor Court and the Roosevelt, the Ritz is the best option - hands down - in downtown New Orleans.

Random Con - There is no outdoor pool at the Ritz, and guests only have access to the Marriott's pool, which is very so-so.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Nolanative
Reviewed July 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed July 11th - 13th

I will start with the one and only issue.. The elevators to the rooms are quite slow. If you are in a hurry and there are lot of people, epp! You might get upset. I heard several people complain about this and one lady told me directly she had been waiting 10 min. My husband and I were never in any hurry so it was fine. It was only "bad" when there was a slight rush.

Moving past that, this hotel was very nice. I really liked the reception area and bar. The out door court yard was beautiful.

One of the most enjoyable aspects was the bar and Byron the bar tender. Byron really made our stay even better. He makes fantastic drinks and is very knowledgeable about the liquors. You can tell he loves what he does and makes every effort to ensure the guest are happy.

The staff in general was great and friendly.

Breakfast was very good and the omelets from the omelet station were cooked perfectly.

There is a band that plays on the weekends until 1am. The restaurant is also open until 1am and is perfect for a late night snack. The band plays "Big Band" era music.

The bar, lounge, and restaurant have an open plan layout so you can still see and hear the band playing in the bar/lounge area, which I really liked.

I love that the hotel is very close to all the action while not being on top of it (Bourbon Street).

I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the courtyard are quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I think this hotel is just a bit shy of perfection as it does not have a pool on-site. There is a wave/lap pool located in the Spa area - however, nothing outdoors. You can use the facilities at the Mariott just down the street - just need to present your card key to the Marriott hotel staff, which could seem a little awkward.

Other than that, the hotel was great - close enough to Bourbon street to be able to stumble in at 3 am, yet far enough to not get caught up in the noise and chaos of the night life extremists.

I'd recommend coming here if you don't care much about the pool factor.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Von A
Reviewed July 2, 2014

The Ritz Carlton New Orleans was a wonderful hotel experience from check in to check out! Get the club access it was amazing, the lounge, food & best concierge staff with a special shoutout to Janis, Sunday, and Wm. Russell! They were very helpful in making several reservations and offering ideas on sightseeing and dining. We had our dog and one evening a doorman ran after us and suggested we may not want to venture to far in a certain direction from the hotel at night. Another day we returned to the hotel very hot from a walk with our dog and a doorman rushed to get us a couple of very cold water bottles, this is just a few examples. We will certainly be staying at the Ritz when we return to New Orleans this fall to see the Saints play.... GO SAINTS!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Trish M
Reviewed June 30, 2014

If you like Ritz Carlton's you will be happy with this one. It seems a little out of character in NOLA, since this is the capital of sleaze. Rooms are a decent size and the interior ones look out over a lovely courtyard. Courtyard was one of the best parts, had breakfast there as well as late evening coffee. The concierges are very good. Biggest negative is that there are big groups. Second negative is that you have to go on two elevator banks to get out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over the courtyard
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo