“Top Notch”

The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
Ranked #22 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed April 7, 2014

As a frequent traveler, the New Orleans Ritz was what I was looking for using my precious points for a short weekend trip. The room has a view of the courtyard and even the street, which made for some interesting people watching. Very quiet room on the 9th floor. A little disappointed that as a Platinum Marriot member, didn't get me even a chance to use the Concierge lounge, let alone an upgrade. Oh well, didn't spoil the weekend, although coffee in the room was sorely missed. Really liked the separate toilet in the bathroom for some increased privacy. The room met my needs, and the staff could not be faulted. They were very friendly and accommodating. We really enjoyed the Davenport lounge. Great live jazz each night on the weekend, in a really comfortable lounge. Plenty of soft chairs and couches to get very relaxed in. The blonde hurricane was a bonus as a very refreshing drink. Valet parking a bit steep at $40 a night. Location, location, location. You are in an excellent place here for easy access to Bourbon street, and many fine dining establishments just a short cab drive away.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,121)

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Location: The hotel is situated on Canal Street at the edge of the French Quarter it is only two blocks from Bourbon Street. There are many good restaurants in the vicinity and it seemed central to many sights. After seeing Bourbon street, that's the last place I would want to return to at night. The location of the Ritz is perfect.

Service: Everyone was very pleasant and helpful. As an example of attention to detail, there is a basin with iced towels at the entrance for returning joggers.

Room: My standard king was quite large with adequate room for a desk and sitting chair.
The bathroom was equally large with a separate water closed for the toilet. Two large people would be very comfortable in this room. The room was well appointed with a 40 plus inch TV.

Value: My price was extremely reasonable as part of a conference. I would give this hotel Five stars for $275 or less and four stars for $300 or more.

Jazz Bar. Every night there is excellent jazz in the bar and lounge with no cover charge or minimum. The music consists of American standards. The bar and lounge is frequented by locals who claim it is the best jazz bar in the city. If you like jazz, the bar would be reason enough to come here.

Spa and pool: There are three exercise rooms with a large complement of machines and free weights. The pool seemed adequate for laps.

Gripe: The hotel has a business center with five computers including one Apple. BUT they charge $30/hr for their use. Over four days I did not see one person there. I went down to do some work on one of their larger screens but went back to my laptop when I saw the charges.
C'mon managers. No one is using the place. Most hotels of your caliber, or less, offer complimentary computers. You're not making any money, wasting space and irritating business travelers. Your excellent jazz bar is complimentary, it's nuts to make your business center the same.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a conference. Check-in was excellent and the allocation of a heavenly quiet room away from the Canal Street craziness was highly appreciated. Mattress did sag a bit in the middle but everything else in the room was high quality and functioned well. Gym had great equipment and food provided as part of the conference was good. Service was fantastic.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Probably the most mediocre Ritz I have ever stayed in. The hallways were smelly. The service was really good though. The location was also good, but the hotel was dated and not up to ritz carlton standards.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Amc A
JOliver-GM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Dear Amc A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with the Trip Advisor community. We pledge to provide the finest personal service and facilities for our guests and I would like to personally apologize for not meeting your expectations with our facilities. Please know that I will use your comments as an opportunity to improve our hotel.

If you would like to reach out and discuss this further, I would be happy to speak with you.

Again please accept my sincere apology for falling short of meeting your needs.

Best regards,
Jim Oliver

Reviewed April 1, 2014

I was staying at another hotel for a conference and came here for a spa day. It was overall amazing. Booking was easy. The fitness center is large and clean. There are precor machines. Then they have a dry and wet sauna. I had the best facial in my entire life by Beth. My deep tissue massage by Eddie was wonderful. Also had a great pedicure with Susan (I think). Lakisha was the attendant who showed me around and worried about me because I did not eat lunch. She had some hummus waiting for me during my pedicure. I actually think I would return to NOLA just for this spa. Next time I will stay at the hotel.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton New Orleans for five nights. We had a suite on the club level and it was nothing short of spectacular. The room was quiet and beautifully appointed. The Club at the NOLA Ritz was exceptional – it is huge, has multiple rooms and delicious food. If you are looking for a place to escape from the French Quarter at the end of the day, this is the place.

Room Tip: Club level is amazing.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We recently stayed on club level in the Maison Orleans section of the hotel for three nights. The lobby is traditional Ritz Carlton and the hotel was clean and staff mostly accommodating. However, when you spend north of $800/ night you expect something more...like the little thing to work flawlessly. For example, the telephones in the room should be operational but ours were not. The bed mattress should not concave to the point that you feel like your sinking in quicksand...but our was exactly that uncomfortable. Turn down service? Nope. The self-serve wine dispenser in the club lounge hardly ever worked and when bottles were empttied they were reluctantly changed. I've experienced better in airline club lounges without a doubt. The ability to connect WiFi effortlessly should be without question...but not the case at this Ritz! Not only did we have serious problems connecting (finally routed to off-site technical support in another country!) but then added insult to injury by charging us $12.95/ day for access. To make matters worse, my teenage kids (also on club level), discovered that they could receive the Marriott Courtyard (sits adjacent to Ritz on same block) high speed WiFi connection for FREE with no password, etc.!!! It's nonsensical and really bad business for the Ritz Carlton to nickel and dime their very best customers. I brought the foregoing to management's attention but to no avail. I was informed that this is their standard policy. My policy moving forward will be to spend my money at a hotel that does not take their customers for granted! Goodbye Ritz Carlton...$$$$

Room Tip: Don't expect too much from a club level room. Stay at the Marriott Courtyard next door as it'...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Penta23
JOliver-GM, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear Penta23,

I am so very sorry for the issues you experienced during that your recent stay in our Club accommodations. We are always looking for feedback from our guests to review our product and service standards, so I really appreciate you taking the time to share your feelings with us. Please know that I will use your comments as an opportunity to improve upon these standards as well as make adjustments to offer more value for our guests. We are currently implementing changes based directly upon your feedback.

Again please accept my sincere apology for your inconvenience and I am sorry to hear that you do not plan on returning to stay with us in the future.

Best Regards,