“Come on people, it's New Orleans!!”

The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
Ranked #22 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Tampa, FL
“Come on people, it's New Orleans!!”
Reviewed June 16, 2008

I stayed at tthe Maison Orleans this past weekend and found everything to be exactly as expected.

What did I expect? I expected a beautiful clean room, good service in the club lounge, good to very good food, COMPLIMENTARY cocktails with really good wine and champagne and concierge services from someone who actually cares that you have a good time. That all spells a nice weekend to me!

I have stayed at Ritz Carltons all over the place and each experience is entirely different, based on the locale. This is New Orleans, where life is laid back and the people are easy and maybe on a slower, much more relaxed pace. As I read the previous reviews, I don't understand what people expect when they travel. I think if you stop expecting and comparing everything and just arrive and enjoy the place without so many big expectations, everyone would have a much better time.

Yes, this is an expensive place. And it is confusing to have 3 hotels within the hotel, and it is strange at first to find your way around the place. But since this town is different from all other towns, why would you expect the building to be shaped the same and the place to be identical to all the other Ritz Carltons?

If you can afford it, stay here. It's a fun treat. Try the whirlpool in the fitness center and also the resistance pool. It is awesome and I think even an olympic swimmer would love it. The bar in the Lobby was hopping on Saturday night and they were throwing a giant Father's Day BBQ and Beer sunday brunch in the French Quarter Bar. This place has something for everyone and we did see alot of people with their children here, and even their dogs!

Everyone greets you and makes you feel welcome. I thought the staff jumped through hoops to make sure we had a good time, but they did it on New Orleans time, and that was fine with me!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FLgemgirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed May 31, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel twice after Katrina ,and I think that the Ritz is not as great as everyone says. It is beautiful with a lovely lobby and public spaces, but the attention to detail in the housekeeping staff is disappointing.
Not once were the toiletries replaced over a 3 night stay and neither was the coffee and water. Even after we requested specifically more coffee and bathroom supplies, only a few bottles of shampoo, etc arrived.
no soap, no coffee.
Our friends, staying in a different room never got chocolates or newspaper in their rooms. Yes, it does sound petty, but i guess it is still the little things that count.
I do think i would stay there again, because the price is right at $179 a night, but it does make me think twice about staying at La Quinta for 1/3 the price.

• Liked — The wonderful fresh flowers in the lobby
  • Disliked — Lack of attention to detail
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank missmc123
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 28, 2008

My wife and I spent four nights at the New Orleans Ritz Carlton over the Memorial Day holiday weekend. The room had a nice view over the garden court, was very clean and nicely appointed.
Ask for a room higher-up to avoid street and party noise.

The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. On check-in, we were offered access to the Club Lounge at no extra charge - very worthwhile for picking up a cup of coffee and a small treat. The hotel is well-situated. It's not in the French Quarter (which can be very noisy) but within a relatively easy walk. There always were plenty of cabs to take you to more distant locations (or if you don't feel like walking in the sometimes oppressive heat and humidity of New Orleans).

Sunday brunch at Melange is expensive - $39 - but offers a wide assortment of tasty items, including sushi, prime rib, an omelette bar and loads of other items. It's worthwhile if you don't plan on eating again until late in the evening.

The bar scene at Melange can range from quiet and intimate (on Wednesday night) to boisterous and crowded (Saturday with two weddings and a convention at the hotel).

WiFi is expensive - $13.00 per day. If you have a wireless data card, this is a good place to use it. Had access on AT&T, but had problems on Sprint.

This is a great hotel and we plan to return.

• Liked — Friendly and helpful staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank vanem1
Long Island, NY
Reviewed May 25, 2008

I was the Maid of Honor for my best friends wedding and had booked around 29 rooms in the Ritz. Us bridesmaids had spent hours making up some very nice gift bags for wedding attendees which also contained directions to the wedding! The Ritz staff assured me that all the gift bags would be delivered 2 days prior to the wedding. The afternoon before the wedding it was brought to my attention that no one had received a bag. An employee by the name of Johanna assured me it would be taken care of immediately. At about 130 am I phoned the hotel operator because the bags still hadn't been delivered. She informed me there was no manager for that shift and she would have someone call me back. A very nice young lady named Jenifer returned my call within a matter of a few minutes. She introduced herself as Loss Prevention but would be the "acting" overnight manager and assured me once again this matter would be taken care of. I was skeptical..about 10 minutes later, Jenifer called me back. She explained that only 10 bags remained and she had no indication of who received what. She offered to photocopy the directions and include a nice letter offering those who didn't receive a bag to pick it up at the front desk. Jenifer put that under every single guests door in the wedding party and literally saved us from having a disaster. She also put together two very extravagant gift bags for the bride and groom and delivered them herself to the room. If it wasn't for her actions noone would have made it to the wedding on time or at all. Unlike most of the other employees we encountered she was the only one who was truly concerned about our issue. We almost lost faith in the Ritz but thanks to one employee..We will definitely be returning!

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — Room sevice was horrible
  • Stayed April 2008
West Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 25, 2008

The Ritz Carlton in New Orleans is well located on Canal Street, bordering the French Quarter. It is about 2 blocks away from the beginning of Bourbon Street, short walks away from many historical sites and it's near the street car stop you take to ride up St Charles street into the Garden District.
The room on the 7th floor we had was very spacious, tastefully decorated and clean with a king bed. It didn't have a view; but we didn't ask for the more expensive room that had views. Although the shower pressure was very low, the bathroom was stocked with a nice brand of soaps/shampoos/lotions.
The staff are friendly but make sure you ask the concierge when you have a question about anything outside the hotel as both times we asked something of the person at the front desk, we were given the wrong information. Another note: if you leave a beverage bottle in your room that isn't completely full, it will be thrown away by the housekeeper (we lost 2 large bottles of fruit drinks that were 1/2 empty).
The only time my husband and I ate at the hotel restaurant was to have appetizers but the food was really good and not too expensive. ( I had crawfish quesadilla that came in 4 slices and was really tasty and filling for about $15). I noticed a sushi cart set up every evening in a lobby area by the restaurant/bar. The restaurant has live music and the night we were there, 2 famous local musicians showed up to play with the jazz band.
The hotel lobby offers complimentary lemonade in the afternoons. It seemed that the check-in counter located on the 3rd floor usually had one person working so service can be a bit slow. If you park a rental car in the valet parking lot it will cost you $32 a day. Overall, the hotel was a great place to stay. It's quiet and very pleasant.
I will write other tips on New Orleans in different reviews about the city and restaurants.

• Liked — The clean, spacious guest room.
  • Disliked — Low water pressure in the shower
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
usa
Reviewed May 24, 2008

This was just a magnificent stay. We go to New Orleans about once a month and just decided to stay at the Ritz. We booked a room on the Club Level for one night, but ended up extending it for 2.

We arrived at night and were a little tired. We entered the typical Ritz entrance but the Club level is quite a confusing way from the main entrance. The first time was a little crazy, but after a the first walk-thru it was fine.

I can't say enough positive things about my stay there. Gracious and lovely are just the most appropriate way to describe it. The building is a beautiful Grand Dame. Elegant in every fashion. Beatiful floral arrangements at every turn that lightly scent the air. Books available to peruse while you enjoy a cocktail. I felt like I was staying at an elegant B&B without the forced friendly-ness of being in someone's house and sharing meals.

The room was lovely. Very English country. I loved it. The bathrooms were fabulous and they provided Bulgari products, which I love. I absolutely loved the room.

The Club level provided 5 presentations a day and by the time we arrived it was just savories and cocktails, which was fine. However all the presentations were great. We would get coffee, tea and a light breakfast and really be good for the rest of the day. We could come back in the afternoon for a cocktail and snack before heading out for dinner. We actually saved money on food. The quality was fabulous and the portion sizes were right on - just little bites. Not enough to fill you up, but enough to curb the appetite or get you going in the morning.

The hotel provides a complimentary Mercedes to shuttle guests from place to place. We really prefer to walk and take the trolley but we did utilize it for a ride to Emeril's and Adubon Park one early morning.

The service was lovely. It was friendly, yet restrained.

We typically stay in another hotel, but I believe this will be our new Crescent City standby.

• Liked — Elegance, decor, presentations, location
  • Disliked — No Pool
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 20, 2008

We stayed at the Ritz just for the weekend and I wished we had more time. i thought the location was very convienent to the French Quarter and Bourbon Street. The Garden District is either a 5 min cab ride or you can take the street car, pick up is very close to the hotel.

I have to say the best part of the hotel is the lobby bar where they have a Jazz trio playing and great drinks. The nightly entertainment was also great in their restaurant Melange.

The room was very big for a older hotel and the bathroom was very posh.

Only drawback was the elevators. They seemed to take forever and were always crowded.

• Liked — Location, lobby bar
  • Disliked — Elevators too slow!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple