“Chad at the front desk and Tim at the door delivered over the top service”

The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
Ranked #23 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
“Chad at the front desk and Tim at the door delivered over the top service”
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I inquired about merging our Marriott points at check-in. That's all it took for Chad to send up a card, chocolate covered strawberries and champagne to our room. We've only been engaged a week so we felt really special. Also Tim at the door gave us directions and searched for logoed matches for my collection. Awesome stay!!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We recently stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in New Orleans for five nights. We arrived very late in the night/early in the morning and we were exhausted. From the moment I drove onto the property, there was someone taking care of me. We don't travel light either when we are driving so it was a blessing to be greeted with a smile at the valet stand and to have them take care of all our things, all the while welcoming us and answering any questions we had. This hotel itself is in a great location, just a few blocks from Bourbon Street, but those blocks are important because as you walked the last block you walked out of the noise, commotion, and a bit of the serenity of NOLA took over. We were greeted each time back with an open door and a smile. It was HOT there the week we were there and they had ice cold bottles of water for us when we returned. The room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. Housekeeping was a bit slow and sometimes would not have our room cleaned until after 4-5. When we would return after a day of sightseeing we would have to wait for them to finish the room. That was a bit frustrating. If I had a suggestion about the room, it would be to put a TV guide on the TV so you can actually see what is going to be on. There is only a listing of channels, not what is going to be on. When you are taking a day off from sightseeing or meetings it would be great to have. Room Service was a bit pricey so we never took advantage of that. We did enjoy Jeremy Davenport in the Lounge on Thursday night, but their servers left a bit to be desired. We travel with a 12 year old who is old beyond her years, but of course doesn't drink. We asked for any fruity type drink but to make it "virgin" and the lady at the bar was just rude and refused to make anything. We then sat for over 45 minutes in the lounge trying to get a server to take our food order. 3 different servers said it wasn't their table. Finally when I went and found a manager and asked why we couldn't get served when every table around us was, he was apologetic and offered to buy our next round of drinks, one of the 3 we had spoken to before decided to wait on us. Guess what, the manager never purchased our next round and the food wasn't good. We will skip this part of the hotel next time. That is the one reason it will not get a 5 star rating from us. We might have a child with us, but that doesn't mean we should be treated differently. She is more mature than most of the adults that were there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Marco Island, Florida
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The hotel is what you expect from a Ritz-Carlton. Great rooms and nice amenities. The only thing stopping a five star was a couple of incidents.

My room had an empty water bottle on the desk when I checked in. Paper delivery was wrong each morning despite notifying the front desk.

The location was great very close to Bourbon Street.

My room was on the same floor as the front desk but very quite. It actually was an advantage for coming and going since upper floors need a ride on two different elevators and I did not.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 7, 2013

At at time the New Orleans Ritz was something of grandeur and style, that's a thing of the past. I notice the reviews and have to wonder.....were you the type of people I encountered in the club level during my last stay?

The library on the club level used to be a place of solace and peace a place you could go to get away from the noise of the city. For years this is where I went when I really wanted to find relaxation. The last two times I have been to the club level, I felt like I was in the lobby of the Sheraton on Canal street (if you get my drift, there are those of you that will)
The people were classless, loud and obnoxious and acted is if they were in some seedy lounge all the while piling hors d'oeuvres on their plates and guzzling drink after drink, laughing and speaking to loud. I do not think they understood this type of environment whatsoever.

I am not happy with the management either, one of the head managers was actually not of Ritz Carlton status or able to handle a Ritz Carlton guest We were harassed about our dog after we paid a hefty deposit and he knocked on our door time after time accusing us of smoking and dogs barking. My dog doesn't bark when I am with her nor were we smoking in the room. Forget everything you know about the Ritz Carlton New Orleans the elegance and sophistication is non existent and a thing of the past.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lela M
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 5, 2013

A smile on my face appears when thinking about my experience at this lovely hotel, and the memories that were created here! The staff was impeccable! THe maids were so nice, they even brought up gifts, cookies and wine to our room when we told them that we were having a celebration, and we invited them to join us! They were wonderful- their names are Chiane Spencer and Markeva Clark. The rooms were large, luxurious and quiet! THe breakfast was hearty and splendid as well. The concierge was a highlight to our vacation. Rudy was so fantastic, he would give up his right arm just to make sure that everything went smoothly and was enjoyable throughout the trip. I commend this fine hotel, and recommend it to anyone who is in the amazing city of New Orleans!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Great location. Walking distance to Bourbon and all the good food spots! Great customer service! Melanie, the woman who checked my friends and me in was wonderful. I was staying at the Ritz, celebrating my bachelorette party and she sent a beautiful card to the room - made my day! She truly made my experience at the Ritz special. She is the perfect example of great customer service!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Sharpsburg, Georgia
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We recently stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in New Orleans for two nights. We got two rooms so another family member could have their own room. Government rate for $135 a night! Can't beat that. We chose to park in a lot behind the hotel because we just couldn't see paying more than $50 (with tax) a night. Parking lot charged $25 a night, so we saved half. I'm all about saving money when we are on vacations. Gives us more money to spend on eating out, etc. This hotel is at a great location. Right around the corner from Bourbon Street, but minus the noise. I don't know how anyone could stay right in the middle of the French Quarter with all of the bands playing at night. I wouldn't be able to sleep. Trolley is just a few steps outside the front door. The rooms are nicely decorated. Marble floors in the bathroom and a separate water closet. Very comfortable and free internet, too! Turn down service in the evening with chocolate. The only thing I could say that was a problem, though it really wasn't, is that they hold what you paid for your room each night for incidentals. Seems a bit high because the hotels we usually stay at usually only hold about $50 a night.. So with having two rooms, we had over $800 being temporarily charged. We used a separate credit card for that because I didn't want to tie up our vacation money just to wait for it to be credited back to our account. We initially made reservations for three nights, so that's how it came to over $800. We left a day early to head to Panama City Beach before heading home. A suggestion for anyone with small kids: keep them out of the French Quarter, especially at night! The strip clubs have girls barely dressed hanging out at the entrances and it's something your children doesn't need to see! If you're traveling with kids, see if the hotel offers a babysitting service or can suggest a company for you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family