“No power on Dec 22, 2012 and no update till we were told to move as we wish”

The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
Ranked #21 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Staffs at the lobby and conceige are very nice and helpful. We got the breakfast package but I will recommend you get your breakfast somewhere else. The first night on Dec 21st, there is a very drunk couple throwing a party next door from 8:30 on and then they went out - came back with more noises. I think other than his being crazy, the thin wall played a big part. I waited till next day to ask for possiblity to switch to another room to get some sleep and after I came back, a few minutes later, the power went out. I called downstairs and the girl who answered the phone got really annoyed for some reason and said " we are working on it and hung up on me. I had breakfast and told conciege the power was out. They were polite and nice and said they would see to the matter but refused to tell us the status of this power outage. I thought I'd give Ritz some credit and left for touring around town. At 11:30 pm, we went back, the power was still out! and they told me I can check out if I want or I will be send to another property which would be far from the quarter - I chose Ritz for the location so I don't have to rent a car, which made the second choice not optional. So I opted to pack my luggage and moved to a hotel . They did help me with the booking and offered the previous night for free.

So overall, the service and the staff were all good. I just wish they can tell me the power outage in more details in the morning when I made inquiries twice, instead of going back to a dark room with no power with one letter stating that I can either check out or be transfered. Luckily, the rest of the trip went more smoothly.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Isabelle O

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Amazing property with absolutely stunning staff and mind blowing food. Words do not do my stay justice. Everyone was so accommodating and helpful!

Close to lots of the character that I wanted to see in New Orleans while not feeling like I was in the thick of it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Martin V
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My second stay at this great hotel and it came through again with outstanding service from their excellent staff. Valet, bell staff and front desk were all attentive and friendly. Valet Parking stings at $40/night, but $35-$40 seems to be the going rate in area. I was very pleased with my room location: high floor; corner room, best view of the river. My room was clean, but a bit worn and dated. No coffee pot in the room, yet all else seemed in order and available. I've slept on better beds at Hilton and Hyatt. I like the linens.

Location on Canal is convenient for our needs and quiet when you want quiet. Great statue of Ignatius J Reilly a couple of blocks down Canal. Ongoing renovations on the bottom floor, I think they are remodeling some shops...not sure. I like the layout even though you have to change elevators on the 3rd floor. Christmas decorations were beautiful and detailed. The bar with Jeremy Davenport is outstanding. I did not eat at the hotel. Friendly service from the guy at the coffee bar...I'm terrible with names, but he did me a solid one morning. Continuing with the excellent service...the business center was unattended early and the printers were not working for me, so the front desk helped me print, sign and email back a document early on check out morning. Finally, the door man on the way out was a cool dude. I really like this hotel and their people.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing the river.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We booked this hotel the afternoon of our stay after being very disappointed in our first hotel. They were able to get us a room at the last minute for the five nights of our amazing stay in New Orleans.
The hotel was comfortable and very very nice. It combined luxury with a certain friendly and easy going hospitality that you don't always see.
The staff were friendly, polite. We never had any complicated requirements, so we didn't have the opportunity to see if they would go the extra mile for us, but the doorman was a great help when we had questions about where to go, what to see.

The beds were extremely comfortable and the room itself was always cleaned when we wanted it to be.
The location was absolutely perfect. We have absolutely no completes and would absolutely go back!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Great location....about two blocks from the top of Burbon Street.....and about 6+ blocks from Harrahs. The place was very nicely kept. Decorated nicely for the holidays. Well lighted or well lit if you prefer so you won't feel "at risk" if you are coming or going late at night. Quite, and staff was very nice. Taxi's are abundant as well. If I had to try to find things that were wrong....I'd say my daughters room didn't have a coffee pot (but we didn't ask for one), and there was only one robe in our room (again, we didn't ask for a second one, so no big deal). Really, there wasn't anything wrong. I would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Let's pass over the typical luxury level requirements for a hotel such as Ritz-Carlton (they meet and exceed all of them) and get to where the rubber meets the road. Our family checked into one suite and two king rooms on December 21. At the front desk we were told the hotel was having electrical difficulties but anticipated a correction shortly. They offered to check folks into other hotels if they preferred to do so. We decided to stay as we are always happy to be in this hotel. Ellie at the front desk got us settled in and attempted to keep us abreast of the electrical situation throughout our stay. Unfortunately we were without electricity for 2 nights. No problem for us as we were out of the hotel most of the day and, since we returned after midnight each evening, it was no hardship and soon became a guessin game as to when we would see light. Guests were encouraged to use the spa facilities for showers, etc. All guests were given flashlights. On our last day there we decided to move to the JW Marriott across the street in advance of our flights out of the city. Upon checkout of the R-C, were were told all our costs were covered for all three rooms as well as the three rooms we were moving into at the JW. They apologized profusely and we all agreed sometimes things just happened and they were doing an excellent job handing a bad situation.

I can't say enough about all the staff from the bartender to the gift shop attendants to all the staff who continually delivered ice to our rooms and checked on our well being. It is clear the R-C has their act together. When the basics are in place, you are able to concentrate on the unexpected and make the best situation for all involved.

I also would like to commend Ellie at the front desk. I have been cared for her several times in the past few years. She is the finest example of customer service I have seen. She is constantly bright, energetic and totally professional. She handled all the check in/check out situations with such great care for all it was a pleasure to see.

I stay at this R-C at least twice a year and the reason is clear. Management and staff are dedicated to the customer

Room Tip: I prefer rooms facing into the courtyard.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kathyhouston
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in late December with some friends! In isolation this hotel is a good choice. The hotel is in a good location, close walk to the French Quarter but good distance from the noise. The rooms were well appointed and the hotel was clean.

When you compare this hotel to other Ritz properties it really falls short. This property lacks the high service standards and personalized service found at other Ritz properties. For example, during check in and out, we pulled our luggage while bell men stood and chatted with each other.

The elevators were another problem. We would often have to wait a long time for an elevator to come, and you need to use your hotel key (love the security aspect of that) to press your hotel floor. The only problem was the keys never seemed to work on the first try.

I would highly recommend staying here if you want a nice hotel slightly outside the action in the french quarter. Just be aware that you are not going to get the amazing service Ritz properties are known for.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends