“The reviews are spot on”

The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
Ranked #23 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Golden, Colorado
“The reviews are spot on”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Click on Excellent and read the reviews...they're all true as applies to our stay...it is the Ritz on every level. It's quietly on the uppermost tier of hotels anywhere and with a level of service quite rare in New Orleans. The "Maison d'Orleans" is the club level, we paid an additional $100/night and it was more than worth it. Here's an accurate quote on this hotel's one drawback from a prior review: "Unfortunately, there is a circuitously long route to get there with several elevator rides, locked doors that all need your access card to enter..." It took us a couple of days to figure out the various elevators and keep the key at the ready, as usual just as we were checking out! The bathroom is quite nice (take note that the hotel is a "soft water" venue) but it had only a single sink so there are some logistics challenges...but not bad as there is plenty of shelf space.

The staff is what sets this hotel apart from 4 and 5 star wannabes. Eddie in the Club facility was helpful, friendly, courteous, and above all truly engaging. He contacted the concierge, got our boarding passes, served our cocktails and generally took great care of us. He is not the exception in this facility, as we saw evidence of his standard of care and engagement in others on staff...it just so happens our schedules intersected and we were happy they did, and more than happy to give him this most deserved recognition. When we told him we were going to the Palm Court for jazz he asked us to let him know how it was so that he could pass it on to the concierge, who also did not know about it. My wife was advised by a tour guide to pay it a visit, which we did and that review may also be found on TA. What we found remarkable was that the hotel didn't try to bluff us on the Palm Court, they freely admitted they were not familiar and asked for the intel which we gave. He said he would pay it a visit so that he could give future guests firsthand information. To us that spoke volumes about the quality of the Ritz staff.

Food was great in the Club and we are convinced that the food and drink we consumed in the Maison combined with the quality of the room and the exceptional service made that $100/night additional a great investment. Relaxing in front of the fire with a glass of champagne to end the day, a relaxed breakfast with many selections, all while idling over the WSJ is a nice way to overcome the carnival atmosphere on the streets of New Orleans. When we return, we will check in at the Ritz.

Room Tip: King room on the Club side of the hotel is as good as one could hope for.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank anasoll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
Towson, Maryland
Reviewed November 10, 2012

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. There are not many top rate hotels in that area. I was glad I went with the Ritz. Great spa area with jet pool and hot tub. The gym was great. It had everything from free weights to machines. There was also a lot of cardio equipment. The rooms were awesome. The beds were comfortable. The service was top notch. We ordered burgers one day and although the food was pricey it was worth it. The best burgers I have ever had.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank surfnjwaves
Gainesville, Georgia
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Rooms are opulent and service was excellent. Actually asked what more they could do to make the stay more enjoyable. Smoking in center outdoor courtyard next to bar and library. Close to most attractions-concierge seemed very knowledgable and anxious to please. Wonderful food and a great selection of dishes. You've got to try the breakfast-wonderful pancakes and eggs to order.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
santa barbara
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Amazing service, fabulous room, great concierge lounge. New Orleans has great southern hospitality but when I get a phone call from the front desk asking me how they could make my stay even better, I know I'm in the right place. I was fortunate enough to stay in a concierge level room and it was so worth it. The room was fabulous and very spacious. We ate all our breakfasts in the lounge, a few lunches and after hours snacks. The service couldn't have been better, whatever you wanted or needed was taken care of. Like I said, if you can afford it this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: concierge level
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nancy B
miami beach
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Well, Its the Ritz, what more can I say? Its opulent and service oriented and has an old world charm. Its right in the center of the action, though the city known for Bourbon street is much lower brow. Staff very helpful but a little stiff. Hotel has a beautiful outdoor courtyard you can rent for events or go for drinks and food. There is a seperate part of the hotel called "Maison d'Orleans" that has food and drinks set out for guests, like a club level, for an extra expense but worth it. Unfortunately, there is a circuitously long route to get there with several elevator rides, locked doors that all need your access card to enter through. My suite was adequate but not too large. Carpets a little dated. Window was small with not much of a view. The bathroom was very nice and had the largest tub I ever saw. In fact, I took a bath in it daily with real wax candles just because it was there. The water in the shower was "soft"--feels like you have to rinse alot just to wash off the smoothness. I went as the sponsor of a small 150 person conference and it went off very well. The staff were exteremly helpful in the entire conference planning and execution and it went very well. Food was great. Also a note on safety: New Orleans apparently is not the safest city and I was warned repeatedly by locals about walking around at night alone. Please be aware and be careful.

Room Tip: Pay the extra rate to get a room on the Maison D'Orleans Club level.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank andrewmiamibeach
Lincoln, NE
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the Ritz the first week in October. It is a very beautiful property. The rooms were a little dated, but its an old building in an old city, so it was to be expected. The customer service was great. The foot was really good too. We ordered room service a few times. Order the funnel cake fries, they were amazing! My one complaint was room service. On two occasions I caught them using my cell phone charger, the first time I didn't mind, but the 2nd time was a little much and she was there with her supervisor, so you'd think the supervisor wouldn't allow something like that. Overall not a huge deal to me, but may be to others. We'd stay again if we ever come back to NOLA.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TACHance
ma
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the Ritz in September for one night. I attended the Ole Miss -Tulane football game. The hotel was beautiful and clean. The employees were indifferent and unfriendly. I requested an early check -in. I was traveling with my husband and adult daughter. When I got there at 11:00 AM they told me my room was ready but it had a king sized bed. Obviously, that was unacceptable. They told me they would call when my room was ready. They NEVER called me. We checked back a half hour before check in and it still was not ready. We decided to get something to eat and while we were at the restaurant , we still did NOT receive a phone call. RUDE! I requested extra towels and they were not present when we check in. I had to find the maid to get them. NO attention to detail. You would think such a nice hotel would have exceptional service. To top it off, the room next to us had unsupervised children making LOUD noise (slamming doors) until after midnight. Disappointing stay at the Ritz. When I return to NOLA I will not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family