“Somewhat disappointing for a Ritz”

The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans
Ranked #22 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
New York
“Somewhat disappointing for a Ritz”
Reviewed October 15, 2007

I just returned from a trip to New Orleans and was somewhat disappointed by the Ritz Carlton. I can't say that anything especially bad happened to me when I was there, it's just that the service was not up the Ritz standards. I travel a fair bit for work and usually stay in Ritz Carltons and Four Seasons and I like this hotel less than any other Ritz I've stayed in. I thought the decor of my room was pretty horrifying. There was dark Victorian-looking wallpaper with matching drapes and near matching comforter. Suffice it to say that it was not my thing stylistically. Also, there was hair on the shower walls in the bathroom (not a lot but enough to make you wonder about how thoroughly the rooms are cleaned). The service was pretty good but just not as crisp as a typical Ritz. For example, when I called down to get my car brought up the morning of my departure, the attendant's answer was "gotcha covered." I didn't think that was especially appropriate. Finally, once I got downstairs 10 minutes after calling, the car still hadn't been brought up. I had to wait another 5 minutes. Maybe that would have been understandable if it was busy, but this was 5am and no one was around. Until I find a better hotel in NO, I'd probably stay there again but would certainly lower my expectations.

Stayed October 2007
3 Thank Nupester89

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
san clemente ca
Reviewed October 12, 2007

I have traveled the world and I have to say that the Ritz New Orleans is the most amazing hotel in which I have ever stayed. Everything was perfect. The rooms were remniscent of Marie Antoinette. Had a canopy above the bed & loaded with pillows. The bathroom was all marble, clean and not lacking for any item you could possibly think of to pamper you.
The Club Floor Lounge was designed to emulate a Garden District home. Just amazingly beautiful! And, the staff of the Lounge and the concierge staff were so helpful and friendly I didn't want to leave. I will return to New Orleans and will definitely return to the Ritz New Orleans!

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank dinerosdeb
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed October 11, 2007

We stayed at the New Orleans Ritz Carlton while in town for a wedding. We arrived at nearly 11pm having flown in from France. The doorman greeted us cordially and said he'd have our bags sent up. Check-in was courteous and quick. We got to our room and bags arrived just moments later. The room was nice with the typical Ritz Carlton traditional decor. Our room looked over the courtyard.
We were extremely tired and sleepy but when I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth etc I noticed there was no soap. There was shower gel but no bar soap. Neverless I was so sleepy I didn't even call about it. The next morning I did let them know and we quickly had soap.
The only meal we ate at the hotel was breakfast which was fine except it was very expensive but that's typical for hotel breakfasts.
I used the fitness center just for the treadmill and it seemed fine. This was not the most extraordinary hotel stay I've ever had but it was pleasant and I would not hestiate to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sgbslo
Reviewed October 7, 2007

We spent four nights at the Ritz-Carlton's Club level. It's a block off of Bourbon on Iberville and is known as the Maison Orleans. The price was the same as a suite in the Ritz and the location was perfect from our perspective. Reception is at an actual table in a room with sofas and oriental rugs and the concierges were helpful. The room included a large tub and separate shower, cherry floors, comfy bed (my fiance wants to buy some of the linens) and appeared almost new. There were 4-5 snacks a day, which could replace meals and were far above the average continental breakfast and lunch on included wines and champagne. We went for a long weekend and I can see escaping again and again in the future.

The only thing that was not quite as expected was the spa. The first massage I had was delayed and no one advised me of the problem. As a result, my fiance was done early and they hounded her about whether I'd used the gym (apparently $25/day). The second day, I waited for about 20 minutes before finding the valet, which put me in a state of mind you don't go to a spa for; that massage was comp'd.

• Liked — Club Level amenities
  • Disliked — Spa
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JibCrane
New Orleans
Reviewed October 1, 2007

As a treat to my husband for his 65th birthday, we booked a long weekend stay at the Ritz in New Orleans. Upon arrival, we were awed by the beauty of the lobby; however, the staff were a bit cold and stand-offish to guests. The stay went downhill from there; the housekeeping staff pilfered through my personal effects; I noted missing makeup and perfumes, not to mention some of my bracelets and rings were discovered missing, as well. I contacted Risk Management and the Management at the hotel directly, but they noted that they were not liable to missing items of this nature and a claim was denied.

Warning - Do Not Stay At This Hotel...You can find much better accommodations elsewhere at the Omni Royal Orleans, W New Orleans (both quarter and on Poydras), and Loew's.

Ritz, you have a very deceptive facade and you are not the top dog any longer!!!!

Stayed May 2007
9 Thank YatGirl
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed September 29, 2007

I recently stayed at the Ritz for a conference for three days. On the positive side, the rooms were very nice, the hotel is beautiful and it is in a great location. I also got great tips for the concierge who was extremely helpful and friendly. There were a few minor room problems with the bathrooms/airconditioning.

The general service is horrible. I ordered room service the night before for an early breakfast but it never showed up. The next day i ordered a smoked salmon bagel and got a bagel with no salmon. My wake up call never happened. They screwed up my reservation and kept trying to come into my room during an important phone meeting because they thought i was checked out! The people in New Orleans are great but the hotel management at this hotel has clearly not adequately trained their staff.

I would NOT recommend this for a business traveler since things like wakeup calls and on time breakfast are vital.

• Liked — great location
  • Disliked — extremely poor service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank chrisv999
NYC
Reviewed September 25, 2007

Upon arrival at the RC we were greeted by warm and helpful staff. The hotel is very clean, secure, and our room was a great value offering great views of the Crescent City, with very nice furnishings. The restaurants on site, and the bar were all superb. Canal St has experienced a transformation to 'clean' with new palm trees lining the street. The French Quarter is likewise far cleaner than in past visits. The Big Easy is ready for tourists and some great deals can be had. My room which was ordinarily $279/night was discounted $110 per night. If you like a great location, upscale rooms, and at reasonable prices then this is a must try hotel.

• Liked — The hotels beauty and superb staff
  • Disliked — Nothing to mention
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple