“Excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

Historic Streetcar Inn
Ranked #134 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2004

I stayed at the Avenue Garden Hotel in late October. First of all, the city is so much fun during Halloween. I think everyone should go there one year. If you do go, you should stay at the Avenue Garden Hotel, they have the best customer service I have seen in a long time. Everyone from the front desk staff, housekeeping to even the owner are helpful with whatever I may have asked. The hotel has a great New Orleans charm to it, they have a FREE breakfast in the morning, the streetcar is directly outside the front door of the hotel making it so easy to get back and forth to the hotel from the French Quater. There is so much to do in this area of the city even though it is not in the main area, the French Quater. It is in this area the locals call the Garden District, it is an old area of New Orleans that the homes are like masions, they are amazing, it is for sure the most beautiful area in New Orleans that I saw. Bourbon Street was fun for a few nights, but if you want to be somewhere that you can walk out the door and have tons of restaurants and bars and still have the beautiful scenery of the streetcar and nice homes, Avenue Garden Hotel is the place to stay.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2004

A number of years ago we made a visit to New Orleans. During that first trip we stayed in a major hotel in the Central Business Area. It was large, and had a cold atmosphere. We decided for our next trip,(10 years later) , to look into staying outside of the French Quarter and the business center. From our research, we found the Garden Avenue Hotel on St. Charles Avenue, located directly across from the St. Charles streetcar. From this hotel, you can get anywhere in the area. Our experience was above and beyond our expectations. The accomodations were excellent. The staff was friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. They arranged tours, provided little extras, and made our stay so enjoyable. Three of the best meals we had were because of their recommendations. These restaurants were located within walking distance of the hotel. What a team; Alexis, Kristen, Willie and the others. Thank you for making our 37th wedding anniversary one to remember.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2004

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Avenue Garden Hotel back in August 2004 and the room was nice for the price. The hotel use to be a house and there is a long hallway as soon as you enter the hotel. The front desk is really small and located about midway down the hall. The owners have made great use of the space and the decor is really nice but the view from your room leaves something to really be desired. All in all we enjoyed our stay and it is located right on the streetcar line and the 2 places that I would highly recommend for dining would be #1 Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro on St. Charles Ave and #2 Voodoo's Bar-B-Que also located on St. Charles Ave. I would definitely stay at this hotel again especially for the price.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2004

This place is perfect for the budget traveler.
We stayed for four nights, booked through Orbitz.com for a rate of $55 per night.
This is not a high-end hotel, more of a B&B feel to it. However the room was great, comfortable and bathroom was nice. View was non-existent but we didn't spend much time in the room.
Breakfast is extremely basic so set your expecations appropriately there.
The St Charles Ave streetcar could not be more convenient to get to the French Quarter and to the Garden District.
The area is completely safe and in fact is quite full of restaurants and bars. I agree that Voodoo restaurant, right next door, is good value.
We parked on the sidestreet without any problems.
Out of all the hotel staff we encountered, we found Kristen to be extremely good.
This place is perfect budget accomodation in a very convenient location. I would stay here again without question. If you are looking for something more glitzy, or a romantic weekend with a date etc, you might want to choose somewhere more upmarket.

Wilkes-Barre, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2004

I was very disappointed with this hotel. The room was very small and not cleaned very well at all. There was soap scum in the sink and mold in the shower. The comforter on the bed had spots on it and you could tell that it was not washed after the last occupant.The building is very old and is need of repair.The railing on the steps to the second floor was loose and ready to fall off.My room was off a porch on the second. I had to enter my room from the porch. The light on the porch did not work and I could barely see to get the key in the door. The wood floor on the porch was soft from water damage and rot. It was covered with a carpet but I could feel it sink down when I walked on it. I would not ever stay at this hotel again.

4 Thank christinemco

Travelers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2004

We chose this hotel because of all the great reviews posted on this website. We arrived in late afternoon, and was told by the receptionist that our room had a plumbing problem and we could not check in. Very nicely, he handed us a broucher for another Bed and Breakfast and ensured us a reservation has been made for us, and that it was a great place. Being as "innocent" as we are, we took her words at face value, and found us arriving at a place where, lets say, an adult male do not feel comfortable walking around. The "Bed and Breakfast" itsself is a room rented out by a Swedish couple who do not speak English. We called Anenue Garden Inn right away and hoping there was a mistake, but was told that is the place. After much "heated discussion" with Anenue Garden, they finally admitted that they do not know this place, and only selected it because there is vacancy. They also admitted that there are actually other rooms available for us in thier very own hotel. However, at that time, we do not feel like being a customer of a place that treated their customer so badly in the first place. We ended up having to scramble looking for a place to stay and finally settled down at 8pm with another hotel. Our New Orleans experience is badly tinted...

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2004

My husband and I ended up here because there was a mix up in our reservations at the Marriott (ARGH!) He was to attend a medical conference there. After having read all the "rave" reviews on this place, we thought, sounds great! WRONG! We paid $640 for four days and nights in a smelly room! It was so small, I kept bumping into the edges of the bed, the walls, you name it...after one night in that room, (which was in the adjoining building #40 to be exact) I asked to please be switched to another room, so they did do this for us (thank you Alexis), this room was better but still not what we expected. The tiles in the bathroom were coming off and it still had a strange odor. We don't really have complaints about the neighborhood since we are from New York (it's not any worse) but I have stayed in better Motel 6's for a fraction of the cost. And by the way, the walls in the adjoining building are paper thin because I could literally here the people fart in the rooms above and to the side of us!! EW! Unfortunately we didn't have much of a choice but to stay there because there was literally nothing else available in the whole city. If you are just going there to get drunk and won't be conscious of where you crash, then you will be OK here, but otherwise, we don't recommend it!

1 Thank Latinaworldtraveler