“Cool”

Historic Streetcar Inn
Ranked #137 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Well when we arrived, we had to ring the doorbell, which made me feel safe because it didn't look like a very safe part of town (then again neither did the rest of nola). We checked in and the lady at the desk was very very informative. She told us about the history of New Orleans, the history of the hotel, some cool places to visit, and she answered all our questions. Our room wasn't cleaned so the lady at the desk set us up on the top room (room 30) which was the only one on that floor, which I thought was pretty cool. The room was a little dark but she was kind enough to hook us up with 3 beds (for 3 people) instead of the 2 queen beds we originally reserved. After some insight from the lady at the desk, we found our way around town, and let ourselves into the hotel that night with the key they provided. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. In the morning, we had breakfast on their patio. It was definitely a good experience. Next time I'm in NOLA, I know where I'm staying.

Room Tip: I think room 26 had a balcony. Room 30, which was right above 26, is on a floor of it's own.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

We welcome your comments and I am glad to hear our staff served you well. The neighborhood we are in is indicative of the more common New Orleans style. It does have a dated look, but that is more ot a theme in New Orleans than anything else. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

There are newer reviews for Historic Streetcar Inn

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

When I rang the bell to check in (they keep the front door locked), the woman at the desk ignored it. Another guest had to open the door for me. There is no street number and the hotel is apparently now called the Historic Strretcar Inn so I had trouble finding it. Additionally, my room was never cleaned! I left the hotel at 10am on Sunday and when I returned at 7pm it hadn't been touched. This has a lot of great character and the location is okay. The room was quaint and the house still has an antique feel. If you don't mind a dirty room, it's a good choice!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank BristolTimeUSA

Thank you for staying with us as well as making us aware of your experience. I was glad to see that you enjoyed our historic setting.

Please accept my apologies regarding the unfortunate incidents that you experienced during your visit with us. I can assure you that this is not the norm. Our team utilizes comments such as yours to provide additional training to our team to be more effective in our communication and service. We have addressed the situation with the door going answered with the employee, as well as taken our Housekeeping Staff to task for making such a gross error.

It is our hope that you will allow us to show you how we have addressed your concerns and that we can do better. Please contact me at gm@historicstreetcarinn.com or 504-521-8000 when you have plans to return and our team will make sure you have a comfortable visit.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Nice hotel to stay in. Room was very clean and we were upgraded to a king at no additional charge. Staff was also nice. She recommended what swamp and ghost tours to take as well as what restaurants had great food. Was able to find parking on the side street without any problems.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank txgal0909

We want all our guests to let us know their thoughts as we work with them to refine the hotel to achieve a overall better guest experience. I would love to have you come back and stay at our hotel. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@historicstreetcarinn.com or 504-521-8000 if you consider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

If you prefer the quirks of antique, historic settings, the friendly staff and not overly modern feel of the Avenue Garden Hotel is a perfect retreat from the sameness of so many modern hotels. Located right on the trolley line, we also walked to the riverfront, throughout the French Quarter and to a variety of attractions including the remarkable WW II Museum. If you have a car the on-street parking is not ideal, but when I have stayed there with a car there were no problems. 3:00 AM pecan pie at the St. Charles Tavern across the street is a real plus!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank John S

We welcome all comments on our hotel, as we take our guest observations very seriously here at the Historic Streetcar Inn. In regards to parking, I cannot arrest to a current solution, but we are exploring several nearby options to get parking for the hotel as so many guests to request it. I will be happy to inform anyone who asks of progress on this situation. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@historicstreetcarinn.com or 504-521-8000 if you consider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

This place is so cool! Built in 1897 and renovated but still has that old charm. Quiet, pet friendly and out front a trolley stop, very convenient. Price--cheapest place on this vacation. Staff is very friendly and helpful to visitors. Katrina knew which hotel to leave alone. Also next door is VooDoo BBQ--you must eat there also!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank hpgent

Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your feedback. I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to stay at our hotel. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@historicstreetcarinn.com or 504-521-8000 if you consider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Had a reservation recently and when we arrived, we found that the only parking that this hotel has is: None! They tell you to "just find a space on a side street."

Well, we wanted our car is a designated secure parking area, as some of the side streets in the this part of the city did not seem safe to us and we were transporting some expensive items that we could not carry into the hotel. We asked to cancel our reservation on account of the facts above, but the management went ahead and charged us the full rate because we did not cancel within 6 days of the reservation.

If you don't believe me about the safety issue: They don't let you walk into the lobby as its always locked and they get up and let you in after they look you over.

So my advise to everyone: Park at your own risk and don't even think about cancelling late.

Otherwise the place looked funky but not swanky from what little I saw in the hallway.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank GoWithDeb
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to offer a review of the Avenue Garden Hotel. We take all observations offered, and utilize them to better the overall guest experience.

In regards to parking, we do not advertise parking specifically because none is available at the hotel. Although our new ownership is exploring avenues to change this particular aspect of the hotels amenities, it is a current part of our hotel's setting. I agree it would be better to offer parking, but we are not in the downtown area, where parking is 30+ dollars an evening, and it allows guest who most of the time would be forced to park with no other option, the ability to make a choice on their parking arrangements.

We understand that you were not pleased with the parking situation, and chose to cancel your room with us on the day of arrival. We do have a standard cancellation policy of 7 Days prior to arrival. We ask all our guest to commir to this policy, and in fairness to all those who have adhered and paid a cancellation charge, we could not offer a refund as no reason was given other than a dislike of a parking situation we do not offer in the first place. I hope we can offer parking in the future, but we also must ensure our policies are enforced or the other guests that adhere to them are shown disrespect.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I spent one night over Memorial Day weekend. I liked the location on St. Charles Avenue, though my taxi took me to the Avenue Plaza Hotel, instead. I guess this is why they're changing their name to the Historic Car Hotel. My room was on the second floor at the front of the building, which had a small balcony for relaxing and people watching. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The location allowed me to explore the central business district and the garden district by foot, which were fun.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Richard Y

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon! Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.