Historic Streetcar Inn
$179
$153
Preferred Hotels
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$99
  • Breakfast included
$259
  • Pool
Holiday Inn New Orleans - Chateau Lemoyne(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$151
$117
HolidayInn.com
$189
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$117
$111
  • Pool
Omni Riverfront Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$144
$118
$249
$189
Marriott Hotels
$138
$102
  • Pool
Omni Royal Orleans(New Orleans)
$197
Omni Hotels
  • Pool
All reviewsvoodoo bbqgarden districtslice pizzahistoric street carcontinental breakfastfrench quartercharles avenuetrolley lineday passfront porchsmall hotelmardi grashome away from homecharming hotelsouthern hospitalityfew blocksbourbon street
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Its old, and not remodled like it needs to be for a 119 dollar a Night hotel. Found cockroach in room. Im sorry, Me thinketh they protest too much. Dirty under bed. Just not cleaned well. About three layers of carpet on floor. Doors barely cleared the many carpets. Beds old and lumpy. Unless on weight gaining diet, not breakfast for you. Go to one of close outside restauants. Try the crab benedict at the st charles tavern. Outside area could not be enjoyed because of smokers. One of the good things is its on the trolley lone. Did not drive car for three days. Would not recomend and would not stay. Needs major rennovation.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Themenace4
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your review.

Please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less than your expectations. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better.

We are bringing exciting new changes to the hotel as we have come under new management. In regards to breakfast, there are new items we will be introducing in the coming months that will expand our breakfast selection. As we are a historic property, sometimes guests that stay with us want the modern hotel experience. We have looked into the issue with housekeeping and although you did feel good enough about our hotel to stay 3 nights even with the listed issues, we have ensured retraining and emphasis on cleanliness is paramount.

I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to prove that this is not usual for our hotel. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed here exactly a year ago, during St. Patrick's Day weekend, and decided to come back because we had a great experience. However, I can no longer recommend this hotel. The acting managers are sweet and trying really hard to accommodate lodgers, but the plain fact is the place is lacking on many levels and they seem to be having to spend their days apologizing--I felt kind of bad for them. We had a queen room. The minute we opened up the door on the first night of our stay, we were hit by a sickeningly sweet air freshener smell. It seems that some type of powder freshener (I'm assuming carpet freshener) had been sprinkled into the air conditioner/heater. It was chilly that night and we needed the heat on to take the edge off, and the smell lingered all night and literally made me nauseous. Made me wonder what they were trying to cover up. There were wires in the ceiling where the smoke detector used to be...not cool in a wooden structure and certainly not up to code. We got a bath mat one day, but not the next..... our traveling partners had a wastebasket in their room one day, but it was gone the next...little things, but they add up. Spackled but unpainted cracks in the walls of the common areas....really loud noise from the restaurant next door.....a small Mr.Coffee maker at the breakfast bar ("the last one broke and we haven't had time to get another one")....really? We were there for 5 days and the place was full for a least half of them.....$29.00 and a walk to the Walgreens down the street could have fixed that---I was actually tempted to go ahead and do just that after 3 mornings of empty coffee pots. They really need to get it together if they want repeat customers.

Room Tip: DO NOT get a room in the adjoining building unless you want to be kept up at night by loud noise from the restaurant next door.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank travelover1959
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for staying with us as well as making us aware of your experience. We always welcome guest comments as we feel it ensures we can better ourselves by the observations of our guests.

The Avenue Garden Hotel has recently come under new management, and with that a wave of swift and needed changes are occurring to bring the hotel to the next level. We are working to ensure maintenance issues left to us from prior management are corrected, and public areas are clean and in good repair. During your stay you no doubt found us in this process and although we do not wish to disturb our guests, we also want to ensure that we offer the best possible facility. As to your dilemma with our Coffee Dispenser, although we did make every effort to ensure that coffee was available to our guests in the morning time and heard no complaints, we have purchased extra equipment for our guests to ensure we have the needed volume. Change does bring some inconvenience, but it also ensures a better experience for our past and future guests.

It is our hope that you will allow us to show you how we have addressed your concerns. Please contact me at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 when you have plans to return and our team will make sure you have a comfortable and memorable visit.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Thankfully we were not steered away from this quaint hotel by previous reviews. The staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful. We live an hour away and wanted a location close to the parade route for St. Patricks day and this ended up being perfect. We stayed in room 12 which is in the main hall on the first floor. It supplied a comfortable king size bed, dresser and flat screen TV. Toiletries were supplied but we usually bring our own because we like specific things. Pleanty of towels and tissue. The room was clean and neat. As for noise, well this is New Orleans so we know there will be noise from other guests, employees and street noises. The continental breakfast consisted of coffee, tea, orange juice, bagels, bread for toast, muffins, cinnamon rolls, instant grits and oatmeal plus all of the condiments. This was just right for something small to tide you over until walking down the street to the Trolly Stop for a full breakfast. The hotel is right on the trolly line so it is easy to get to the French Quarter. Right next door is Voo Doo BBQ and The Slice pizza, which has a fantastic menu and happy hour! St. Charles Tavern does a great burger and breakfast. Across the street is the Irish House Pub which serves drinks and food. As with any large city you take care in looking at your surroundings at night, it never felt unsafe as people were always around. I do advise people do some research on the area you are traveling to and what to expect. This is a house that has been converted to a hotel which means it is an old building with some character. Yes some things need to be repaired but they are working on them. This in my mind give the place character and is not your typical run of the mill cookie cutter hotel. If you are looking to stay somewhere that feels like you are staying in a friends house in the master suite this place is perfect! Thank you to the staff for a great weekend and we will refer you to others and we will definately be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cindy B
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New Orleans. It is great to hear that you had a great stay with us!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Accommodate

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've been reading all the reviews from other visitors. I'd like to give a different more realistic point of view.
I do believe everybody chose the avenue garden hotel because it WAS the least expensive option in the area without being all the way by the airport. The hotel is old...but c'mon these people are judging like they live in the lap of luxury. if that were the case they wouldn't have made a reservation at this affordable new orleans hotel. amirite?
yes..you can hear other guests' water through the pipes in the wall...yes, the building is antique...which to me translates into old world charm. but i'm thinking most people get hotel rooms so they have a nice, clean, safe place to sleep while they're on vacation. this hotel meets those needs. I suppose if you're the type of person who hangs out in your room all day wanting sea weed wrap spa treatments... this might not be the place for you.

here's the truth..and i'm laying it down. i paid just about $100 bucks a night..MUCH below the $300 i was quoted at other french quarter hotels. My bed was comfy..my room was clean. the front desk staff was polite. I was out on the town all day...rolled into my room late in the evening. I got what i paid for and i was EXTREMELY satisfied.

I was pleased i was not right in the mess of the quarter...the area where the avenue garden hotel is located is a cool. plenty of nice places to eat, a great coffee shop across the street..a nice walk to the magazine street shops and the beautiful garden district. I guess..i just know there's more to NOLA than the french quarter.

thanks so much, avenue garden hotel..i had a great vacation..and a pleasant stay.
the money i saved on the hotel room was well spent on food and gifts in your lovely city.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank mos-steff

Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for your feedback.

Please accept my sincere gratitude for your kind words. We at the Avenue Garden Hotel always welcome comments and my team thanks you for your honest assessment of our property.

I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to create a great stay for you. Do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 if you might consider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I booked on Expedia and was told it was pet friendly and wood be charged $10/pet/night. When we got there the receptionist threw a fit about the dogs, made a phone call and we could hear her describing them and acting like we were trying to pull a fast one. She asked whoever she called if they knew about this and called my boxer a pit bull. Then she preceded to try to charge me double. I had called the hotel directly after booking to confirm the pet policy and charges.. I said no and we would pay what was originally quoted. Then she said she had to change our room and gave us a room disconnected from the main building and under a party house. They blasted music both nights we were there. The room was chewed up and scratched and obviously a downgrade. This hotel was not pet friendly and treated me, my boyfriend and my will behaved and obedient babies very unwelcome. It wasn't even nice or offering amenities. We prefer unique, boutique style hotels and would not recommend this one with or without pets.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Julie Q
AGHgm, General Manager at Historic Streetcar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Thank you for staying with us as well as making us aware of your experience.

Please accept my apologies regarding the unfortunate incidents that you experienced during your visit with us. I can assure you that this is not the norm. We do advertise we are a pet friendly hotel, specifically on sites such as Expedia and Google. We also state on these sites we accept pets of 25 lbs or less. We understand that a pet is a part of anyone's family, but as we are a smaller property we can only accommodate a smaller size pet because of room size limitations. We did make an exception to this advertised policy for you, and placed you in the only room that could accommodate the larger sized animals you had with you. The room you were placed in has been reviewed in regards to your observations and we are ensuring that the issues you related are being corrected for the future.

It is our hope that you will allow us to show you how we have addressed your concerns and that we can do better. Please contact me at gm@avenuegardenhotel.com or 504-521-8000 when you have plans to return and our team will make sure you have a comfortable visit.