“Wonderful authentic house! Lovely hosts who are very welcoming and super knowledgeable!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of HH Whitney House on the Historic Esplanade

You added HH Whitney House on the Historic Esplanade to your Saves list
HH Whitney House on the Historic Esplanade
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1923 Esplanade Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70116   |
Ranked #48 of 140 New Orleans B&B and Inns
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in this most lovely house for the final three nights of our honeymoon in September.
Glen is an amazingly lovely and kind host! He even personally drove us in to New Orleans in order to meet our dinner reservation time!
We very much enjoyed the wonderful company and friendliness of Glen along with other guests at breakfast.. ....Highly recommended to all without hesitation...

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Wellesley, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We love it here! Glen and Randy are friendly and helpful, making sure we enjoyed everything we did. We were here in the spring of 2005 and were delighted to be remembered when we called for a return visit this year (2012). We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are charming and comfortable but we like the garden suite because it has a private bat...
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Glen and Randy the owners were wonderful. We mainly delt with Glen he was very very helpful. We came right after hurican Isaac and he kept us informed. He had great ideas and we used his maps to get around town. We had a blast. The pool is a great touch. It was very hot and we cooled down everyday after our travels. The nieborhood is no problem. We used the bus to and cable car to go the far away locations and it coulc not be handier.

Mari the house keeper is a great cook and she did a wonderful job.

Would highly reccomend

Room Tip: We stayed in the Brides room. It was very nice. Wonderful down bed.
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank mebaker
Newark, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We planned our trip to New Orleans, LA (NOLA) and then Hurricane Isaac presented his challenges. We were driving from Ohio and decided we'd proceed as planned and "roll with the punches." Electrical outages at the bed & breakfast were resolved by our check-in and we enjoyed five nights in the Bride's Room. The bed was the best … more comfy than our own. The breakfasts prepared by Maria were wonderful. The hosts, Glenn and Randi, were welcoming and experts on where to eat, where to go, etc. The pool area was so relaxing … we used it every single day of our stay to cool off, play a game of rummy, and read the local news.

The Historic Esplanade is an area in transition. Many of the large, historic homes are in various stages of renovation. There are some homes, however, that have not recovered well from Katrina. It's like a box of really good chocolates … some you love, some you don't, but we never felt "unsafe" what-so-ever during our stay. :)

If you are planning a trip to New Orleans, prefer a B&B over a hotel venue, and want to eat and hang out where the locals frequent, HH Whitney House should definitely be on your list of places to call for availability.

Room Tip: The Groom's Room is larger than the Bride's Room if you like a larger space, however, we cho...
1 Thank Cynthia B
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We really enjoyed our recent stay at the H H Whitney House on our first visit to New Orleans. This grand home has lots of charm and it is situated in a quiet neighbourhood within walking distance of the French Quarter. We really enjoyed our daily walks along the historic Esplanade. Guests are invited to relax in the parlor/sitting room on the main floor and the backyard has a pool, hot tub, fountain, and lush vegetation. The house is filled with interesting antiques. There is ample parking on the property.
We stayed in the Scarlet O’Hara room. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. There was ample space for the two of us. Free WiFi access was appreciated.
Glen is a perfect host: welcoming, thoughtful, and helpful. We felt welcome from the moment we arrived and he made us feel like special guests. Glen gave us a helpful orientation when we arrived and prepared a city map that included great recommendations of places to eat and visit. Before our trip, we received a detailed email that answered many of our questions and it provided directions from the airport.
Breakfast each morning was delicious and well presented. We enjoyed the bottomless cups of tasty coffee. Snacks, bottled water and soda were always available. We enjoyed the opportunity to chat with the other guests and Glen during breakfast.
I would not hesitate to recommend H & H Whitney House and hope that we can visit again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

First of all, I cannot explain how thrilled I was with my stay at HH Whitney House! The personal touches and care you guys put into your B&B is obvious! For example: Randy called me a few days prior to my visit and we talked about my traveling alone. On my way down, I received a phone call from him checking to make sure I was doing okay! Talk about service! When I arrived, Randy was ready to talk about Plantations (because that's what I was planning to do), and had so many suggestions. I pretty much followed all of his suggestions after the first one was so right! Drago's for the Charbroiled Oysters, Mandina's for the Turtle Soup (thanks Randi Amelia!) and French Market Restaurant for Crawfish Etouffee! You knew what you were talking about! And the breakfasts were positively divine! Thank you all for making me feel like a long lost friend and welcoming me into your home.

One thing I want to address...I read one of these reviews that was talking about how horrible the location was. It was very evident to me that this area is still in a rebuilding phase, however I felt completely safe and the locals were friendly! I'm sure if you don't exercise common sense that you might not be safe, but I was a single female traveling in New Orleans...from a small town in Arkansas. I'm certain if something bad was going to happen, that I would have been a prime target.

I will definitely be back & will share this gem with my friends. Repeat customers is the best compliment you can receive and I was thrilled to be staying with you along side not one, but two repeat guests! Keep up the fabulous work! Thanks for making my stay in New Orleans so much fun!

Room Tip: The bed in the Bride's Room is awesome! Even if your bathroom is down the hall, it's a GREA...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank maidenchameleon
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

A MUST DO!!! What an amazing home! It is absolutely beautiful. Definitely feels like walking in to the old South. Glen & Randy are amazing hosts full of tales, recommendations & hospitality. Very welcoming atmosphere. We felt right at home with their family. The pool & hottub are a definite bonus...great way to end a long day, I felt like we were saying goodbye to friends when we left.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Scarlett O'Hara room. Was just like the picutres on the website.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple