“Satchmo Would Love It”

The New Orleans Jazz Quarters
Ranked #21 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This was my first (and long-awaited) visit to New Orleans. I'd read so many rave reviews for the Jazz Quarters (and as a jazz maven, just the name was a positive sign) that I had to check it out myself. It's right where you want to be, walking distance from the good stuff. And the the amazing (and totally hip) innkeepers, Vincent and Lola, know where the good stuff is; trust them if your idea of a New Orleans trip is to go where the locals go for music (ask them about Kermit Ruffins) and eating. My suite (Armstrong) was magnificent and spacious, but I could be happy in any of the accommodations. Last but anything but least, breakfasts. If you don't love breakfast at this place, you've got a hole in your soul. Breakfast couscous! Lola gave me a portion to take back to L.A. My wife flipped. Got the recipe and it'll be on our Thanksgiving table.
There's no other place to stay in NOLA. Period.
Will be back next year for our anniversary fo' sho'!
Laissez les bontemps rouler!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Chuck E
VincentLola, Manager at The New Orleans Jazz Quarters, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Hi Chuck,

Lola and I still talk about your visit.
You were a fun, well-adjusted and very interesting guest.
Thanks for hanging out with us at Kermit's.

Next time, please bring Jane with you. Lola and I would love to meet her.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Hats offf to Vincent & Lola. Somehow these inn keepers allow you to feel you have know each other your whole life. The comfort level is beyond compare. They take pride in their profession, and it shows in every aspect of the running of their B&B. You won't find any run of the mill egg bakes for breakfast, and they know you can't boil water in a microwave for tea drinkers! The breakfast areas encourage conversations, and the patio and gardens are extremely welcoming. The location was perfect and secure. We easily walked to everything in the French Quarter. There was parking available, which we did not need. Our room was impeccably clean, and I'm fussy about that. When I return to NOLA, I will not even look for another B&B. The sense of familiarity, security, and attention to detail has made Jazz Quarters where I choose to lay my hat.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linda C

Thank you, Linda, for your positive review.
We loved having you and Charles stay with us.

You are welcome here anytime.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

What a gorgeous courtyard property. The convenience of the location was excellent, the staff was gracious and welcoming and the breakfasts were to die for. The Jazz Quarters came highly recommended by a close friend and they exceeded all of our expectations.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank GaryandAnna

Thank you, Gary and Anna, for your review.

When the Wisconsin winter drives the thermometer way down, you have a good excuse to come to New Orleans again and enjoy our balmy winter.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

This quaint, secluded, secure B&B just steps from all the French Quarter action was more than worth our trip to New Orleans. The inn keepers are passionate about what they do & about New Orleans but with a relaxed, unhurried , southern charm. Sharing a bottle of good wine on the veranda in the evening was simply delightful.

In a city known for its food, the breakfasts @ Jazz Quarters are up there @ the top. Leave your skinny jeans @ home. We were there 6 nights--- I liked the crepes with a savory cream cheese filling & shrimp sauce the best. Husband liked the bread pudding the best. Had to get the couscous recipe. And had to buy a pound of the coffee/chicory blend they use to bring home. The physical set up for breakfast encourages conversations with other guests, which is what we hope for @ a B&B.

Secure parking within the property was comforting. Nearby laundry facility was a good thing. Although Vincent & Lola tried to reboot several times, WiFi was unreliable. A/C and heat worked well (we had to use both in November). Relatively quiet @ night.

Suggestion: perhaps they'd consider unscented laundry products as some people may be sensitive.

Thank you Vincent, Lola, and the rest of the staff for the personal attention you show with all your guests. God bless

Room Tip: The door out to the street should be shut carefully or it bangs, which could be disturbing @ night...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pepper49

Hi Pepper49,

Your review title is one of the funniest I've read in while.
Thanks for the accolades for our breakfasts.

You are right, 'diet' is a four letter word here in NOLA. : )

Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

The Jazz Quarters was perfect for our group of seven people. Being right next to Armstrong Park we were able to enjoy great food and music during the Creole Gumbo Festival. Lola and Vincent were fantastic hosts - they helped with directions, recommendations, made dinner reservations, made swamp tour reservations, bike rentals, etc. … not to mention the great food they served every morning. All the rooms were clean and comfortable. We had a great time and will definitely be back to the Jazz Quarters again.

• Stayed: November 2012

Many thanks, JvilleGreg, for the positive review.
We enjoyed having your group stay with us.

Come on down South, and see us any time you like.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

But our table for 6 was always set outside the Music Hall each morning. Hot coffee in the large thermos. Hot breakfast served 15 minutes after signalling our hosts. Different offerings every morning, and very, very good each of the 5 mornings we were there.
Our hosts were knowledgeable and helpful w/o ever being intrusive. This is a common thread noted in every review of this establishment and I can do little other than parrot the accolades.
The location of this b&b is next to the Louis Armstrong Park, which, while we were there, hosted a free gumbo music fest {no, the gumbo wasn't free, the music was free. The several gumbos I tried, however, were worth every bit I paid for it} , and a benefit concert showcasing a number of terrific musicians. I don't know how often concerts are given, but highly recommend attending if you have the opportunity.
This was my first time in New Orleans. I expect to return. I expect I will stay here again. This was a great place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank swampknot

Thank you, Swampknot ( an appropriate name considering our proximity to the Bayous and swamps ) for your kind reply.
When seasoned travelers, such as your group, give us positive feedback on your stay, it is very rewarding to us.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Mayfield suite, and were very pleased with the comfort and cleanliness of the room. The bed and pillows were fantastic!

Vincent and Lola were unparalleled hosts. Kind, personable, knowledgeable, and fantastic cooks! The pork and grits were our favorite, and the everyday breakfast cous cous was delightful.

Extra pluses were the location. Since the B&B is right outside of the French Quarter, and not far into the Treme, it's very quiet and private, but still in a very walkable distance to so much. The private FREE parking was a huge perk as well.

Highly, highly recommended!!

Room Tip: I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, honestly.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
VincentLola, Manager at The New Orleans Jazz Quarters, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Thanks, J&J, for your compliments.

I was much impressed with your level of organization and your desire to explore my beloved New Orleans.
Even though y'all spent a full week here, I can guarantee that you can easily spent another week here and not be bored.