“Wonderful property, location, hosts.”

The New Orleans Jazz Quarters
Ranked #15 of 137 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Richmond, Virginia
“Wonderful property, location, hosts.”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Our New Orleans French Quarter stay was a surprise in the quality of the property, the proximity to just about everything in or near the French Quarter, and the warmth and attentiveness of the hosts (Vincent and Lola-you guys are the greatest). The level of hospitality, the breakfasts, the seclusion and quiet within the walled/gated property made for a truly memorable vacation. I absolutely recommend staying here to anyone looking to visit New Orleans and hope to be able to return soon.

Brad N.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Brad N
AmyNOLA, Owner at The New Orleans Jazz Quarters, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Thank you so much for your review! Vincent and Lola enjoyed hosting ya'll and can't wait until your next visit. We are glad you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Staff is friendly and very knowledgeable of the city, take their advice once where to dine. We love new orleans, and if you want a authentic experience stay at the garlands

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank Clifster4
AmyNOLA, Owner at The New Orleans Jazz Quarters, responded to this review, October 9, 2011
Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to host you both! We are so glad you enjoyed your dinner at Louisiana Bistro and were happy to help! We look forward to your next visit!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I had a place to stay in the French Quarter--and it fell through. At the last minute I found this place and thought maybe I was settling and that it might not be great. From the outside, it was impossible to tell, and I wasn't sure the location was the best. Wow was I ever wrong!
My experience here was perfection! I stayed in the gorgeous Louis Henry suite, which is now being renamed the Armstrong Suite (which I learned from the new owners over breakfast).
Most people's apartments aren't this big. It was enormous, with a full-sized living room complete with a gorgeous tufted sofa and big over-sized chairs, a big flat-screen television, a cabinet and iPod docking station, etc. Adjacent is the bedroom with its comfy fabulous bedding, antique dresser and great side-lamps and tables for a good book before bed. There's also a fabulous kitchen with a dishwasher, wine glasses, coffee cups and more--and local Community Club coffee for the coffee-maker. Dreamy.
But then there was the giant bath suite with the mammoth-sized tub, the lovely fixtures, and all the perfect touches that tell you this is a classy place. I turned on soft jazz and soaked in the tub.
And across the front of this private cottage is a broad porch where I sat in the shade and sipped wine and felt the cool breezes in the evening.
The property has other guest cottages and even a lovely patio with an English garden in it and a pergola with awning-striped curtains with tons of romance. I am smitten with this place. In the morning, two of the owners were there serving a full breakfast with fresh fruit, southern cooking, and great coffee--all included in the price of the room. They were so kind and had such helpful information about where to eat and what to see in New Orleans.
To top it all off, there's fenced in, private safe parking on site (which is an enormous plus if you've ever tried to park in the French Quarter!).
Location? The French Quarter is just across Rampart Street. Yes, that's not my favorite street in New Orleans--but by day it was entirely safe. I wouldn't wander around Rampart late at night, but I felt completely secure inside the walled/gated grounds of this place.
The new owners that just took over the property are renovating and reviving the place and it's fabulous--and believe me, I'm picky. They're renaming it the Jazz Quarters. I love this place--for the parking, for the cottages and for the people I met there. I will definitely go back again.

Room Tip: The Armstrong suite sleeps two but is huge. It would make a great honeymoon suite. Rooms near the ga...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Janis T
What a beautiful review! We are so happy you loved the property and enjoyed your stay with us. The Community coffee in the rooms was a recent addition to our guest experience, we are so glad you loved it! We look forward to your next visit with us.
Westminster, Maryland
Reviewed September 26, 2011

My expectations were high for my first visit to New Orleans. I've had visions of stunning architecture and landscaping, vibrant music and nightlfe, delectable food and warm hospitality. All of those expectations became reality over this past weekend and Garlands was truly a large part of that experience.

It was my boyfriend's first B&B stay and I think he is hooked. Hard to know if it was the cottage itself, the beautiful gardens or unbelievable breakfasts (banana foster french toast and fruited almond couscous to name a few) because everything at Garlands was amazing. The cottages are so charming. We stayed in the Marie Josephine cottage, which perfectly combines modern amenities (flatscreen tv, mini-fridge, coffee maker) with furniture and decorations suited to the history of the property. The bedding was luxurious and the robes were a lovely touch.

The new owners are really fabulous. Great communication during the reservation process and during our stay. They truly do everything possible to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. We are thankful they accomodated our late arrival and answered our questions for recommendations in the area. It was also wonderful surprise to discover complimentary bicycles were available to use during our stay and Rick even came to our quick rescue when issues arose with one of the bikes during a ride.

The location is fantastic too. Bourbon Street is only 3 blocks away and Frenchman St. is also within easy walking distance. I loved being able to jump out of bed and hit the sidewalks for a morning jog at the Louis Armstrong park across the street or head down the riverwalk. Needed to make sure I worked up an appetite for those amazing breakfasts! (Oh, and they also serve Community Coffee, which is a delicious, local chicory coffee). But, the location is far enough away from the crowds and noise to feel like you are in a private oasis. Having free secured, gated parking was also invaluable to reach those places slightly out of reach from the streetcar.

My travel wish list is long, so not sure if I will be returning to New Orleans. But, much gratitude to the new owners at Garlands for helping to make the visit everything I had hoped it would be.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kbuhrman
traydrvic, Owner at The New Orleans Jazz Quarters, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Thank you for your kind review. It was great getting to know you both. I know you have a long travel list but if you do make it back to New Orleans we hope you will think of us.
Gonzales, Louisiana
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I stayed in the Extreme cottage and it was just perfect for what I needed away from home for two evenings. They had wifi so I was able to get some work done while feeling I was still on a vacation. The ownership has recently changed a few months ago - and you can already see the love the new ones are thrusting into the updates of this bed and breakfast. I definitely recommend the Jazz Quarters for your next stay in the Big Easy! It's very affordable especially since it's walking distance from the "loud" part of the city. Truly a pleasant experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tatephoto
AmyNOLA, Owner at The New Orleans Jazz Quarters, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Thank you so much for your review, I'm glad you liked our "extreme" Claude Treme cottage and all of the African artwork and decorations. Please consider us your home away from home! You and your lovely wife are welcome back anytime!
Gonzales, Louisiana
Reviewed September 26, 2011

My husband and I live a very hectic lifestyle just 40 minutes away from New Orleans. We came and stayed here for 2 nights and 3 days. We left feeling very rejuvenated. This quaint bed and breakfast has everything- we were able to park in a safe place, walk everywhere for food, people watching, etc. We felt like we were hours away from home. We cannot wait to come back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sarahstyles
We are glad that you chose us as your retreat for the weekend. Thank you so much for the review and all the wonderful tweets you shared with friends and family! Also glad that sushi restaurant was a hit! Visit us again soon.
Portsmouth
Reviewed September 15, 2011

This is a belated write up for our stay in July. Like other reviewers, we had a fabulous stay! The accommodation comprises suites of rooms each with a different flavour. We stayed in Claude Treme which has a lovely little living room with a sofa and a chaise longue (including cable TV and coffee maker), a bathroom with shower, and a bedroom with the most comfortable bed. All was beautifully presented and in pristine condition. There is also a tranquil courtyard and free secure parking (definitely a plus in NOLA). The B&B is just across the road from the French Quarter and we thought the location was good. When we stayed Kelly cooked the most wonderful breakfasts and was just lovely. In fact, everyone was so friendly and nice we must also mention Marie, Monique and Robert. Of the 4 partners we understand now own the B& B we met Rick and very briefly Amy. They have created a wonderful B&B and what can we say other than we booked to stay for 3 nights and ended up staying for 6!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mile_by_mile
AmyNOLA, Owner at The New Orleans Jazz Quarters, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Thank you so much for your review and we're glad you loved the breakfast. Kelly, Monique and the gang were thrilled to hear you mention their names! They were pleased to host you and welcome you back with open arms anytime! Cheers!