“Nice house but is poor value for money and did not live up to expectations”
Review of Degas House

Degas House
Ranked #66 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 6, 2010

This is an historic house, and runs as a museum to the painter Degas who lived and worked there for some time, and also provides accommodation and breakfast and hosts functions like weddings. The house is about a mile from the French quarter, or about 15 minutes walk. On the plus side, the room we had was comfortable and warm and clean. Further up the Esplanade (in the opposite direction to the French Quarter) are a very full coffee shop, some nice restaurants and a wine tasting center called "Swirl" (they also seel good bread and cheese). Another 10 minutes walk is the New Orleans Museum of Art. Seems a pleasant and safe area but one is advised to take a cab home at night. Offers free Wifi. But there was a downside too. For USA $225/night one expect top service, a quality breakfast and staff that are around and seem interested. Our experience was unfortunately the opposite. We served ourselves breakfast when we eventually found the food in the fridge, and sorted out how to use the gas stove to boil water (there was no kettle in the kitchen and we dislike percolated coffee). To be faced with signs in the kitchen (attached) suggesting we do our own washing up was frankly insulting, especially when the sink was full of dirty dishes and the dishwasher full. Our plan was to pay extra to get extra and move out of a more plush hotel. In retrospect this was a bad decision. I think these people are trying to do too many things but not doing them all well. Maybe they were having a bad week but I could not recommend them, although the owner did try to make amends at the end.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank Redhillrunner
rubi1, owner at Degas House, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2010

Thanks to Trip Advisor for the opportunity to respond to this review. The guest says we tried to make amends "in the end". He is badly mis-stating and minimizing our efforts. I attempted to reach the guest 3 times by text and by notes in his room, only after I could not locate him physically around the house.He ignored my efforts, did not return texts and made no attempt at communicating with me.The issue was the breakfast, which was amazing to us, as we have a very generous continental breakfast during the week, as we have had for years without complaint, and as stated on our website. Our guests DO self serve, on occasion, as some prefer to sleep in after long nights in the French Quarter.This is personal preference, which we honor, by allowing our guests the privacy they deserve. I spent considerable time with this couple on arrival, welcoming and being sure they were comfortable, advising them on nearby restaurants, the lifestyle we live in New Orleans, the streetcars, which cab company to use, etc. They ate at one of our favorite restaurants, yet didn't say thanks, showed no appreciation for the lead, even when we asked! These guests arrived with disappontment that we had no "lift" or elevator, even though a historic home such as this, would probably NOT have an elevator as a general rule. Hospitality is a 2 way street, which means good communication is the responsibility of BOTH parties. When this couple was leaving, I went to say good bye and they would not even look me in the eyes, which I assumed meant that they had "taken matters into their own hands" to GET BACK at some perceived problem, instead of communicating with us. I was never even thanked for the complimentary bottle of wine we left for them in their room. As far as notes left in the kitchen, our Bed and Breakfast guests aren't even allowed in the kitchen and we would certainly not ask them to wash their own dishes! Also, no, we have never been asked for boiling water over percolated coffee, where the coffee in New Orleans is some of the best in the world...and includes chicory! READERS PLEASE NOTE that these guests are new to Trip Advisor and negatively wrote up their next hotel (Marriott Courtyard)as well as us...for what? You guessed it..the breakfast! Degas House is not always perfect, but we certainly have the staff to communicate with the guests who want to be fair and communicate with us, especially if there is a concern or problem that we can and are able to easily fix or make it up to them. My feeling about this couple is that they aren't comfortable with traveling and are inexperienced travelers who aren't very happy about anything or anyone! Next time, they should simply stay home!

Reviewed March 1, 2010

When the doorknob came off as we checked in, we should have taken that as a sign and went elsewhere. The house is beautiful (I believe it was built in 1862), but it is in no shape to be used as a b&b. We stayed in the Estelle Suite. I went to open a drawer under a sink, and the whole front of the drawer came off in my hand. My son wanted to take a shower, however we couldn't get it to work, so we were all stuck taking baths all weekend. The first morning of our stay, the toilet overflowed. We were all afraid to flush for the rest of the weekend. The only throw rug in the suite was visibly dirty and obviously not vacuumed. We wanted to play cards one night, so I cleaned off the table with a damp cloth. It was almost black with dust and grime. Also, the walls are very thin. We could hear every step above us, and just about every word said in the suite next to us. The only bright spot was the breakfasts. The lady who comes in to cook for us all is a great cook. We all enjoyed that. I don't know who the owner is, but they are not on-site, which I thought was different for a b&b. Bottom line: If you're interested in seeing the infamous Degas House, book a tour, but DO NOT stay there. It absolutely makes me sick when I think that we paid $300/night for it.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
6  Thank hnewheels
rubi1, owner at Degas House, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2010

Thank you Trip Advisor, for bringing this to our attention.
This is an interesting review, as we did not receive any complaints from this group. This party jammed extra people into their room
(7 people in a room that sleeps 4!), without coordinating with us, and were therefore quietly hoping we wouldn't notice, and therefore, since they were apparently stealing from us, did not want to voice their complaints, (for fear of being caught) or to let us know the damage they created themselves! They apparently BROKE the plumbing for the shower. They also broke the bathroom face bowl, which required total replacement, at great cost to us. The toilet DOES overflow when you disrespect it, as this is a standard residential commode, and not designed for the rough housing that must have occurred, which is apparently how this party conducted themselves. As for not having anyone "on site", I checked them in myself and spent considerable time with them, both in and out of their room, which, by the way, is in great shape, as it is our premier Bridal Suite, that is nearly always rented or used for the dressing of the brides who choose to get married here. In the Bridal Suite is a basin, which the guest refers to in his review, and the front of the drawer is designed for quick release, as inside is the plumbing for the dresser sink, which is custom made and designed. It shouldn't surprise me that this party didn't "get it" and abused it. By the way, the "lady" cooking the breakfast, well, she's the house manager, has been here over 11 years and takes great personal interest in our guests. She remembers questioning the total number of guests for that room and tells me she was confused over the different people from that room that showed up for breakfast everyday, apparently cycling different people through the dining room at intervals. My feeling is that this complainant is upset because we caught them overloading the room and charged them for the extra people that we discovered that stayed with them, ate our breakfast, used our facilities and ultimately damaged our house. Now, they attempt to damage us further through a negative review on Trip Advisor, who requires no accountability for the truth and no accountability as to who this complainant even is by name. This is definitely an unbalanced playing field, as the business name is published and damaged, regardless of the truth of the review or the character of the reviewer, but the complainant's name is concealed! We should have known not to accept them, as at the time of the booking, when they explained the total number of guests in their party, we informed them they needed 2 rooms and offered to hold those for them, to which they declined. We assumed their group would not be as large, but we were indeed wrong, as they later proved.
By the way, my calls and voice mails to discuss the details of their complaints with them, as a quality control standard, went unanswered and unreturned.
We take great pride in the Degas House, a project that has required much blood, sweat and tears, as they say. Everyone is welcome here, as we feel the public should relate to this rich history and landmark of global interest. Perhaps we should discriminate more thoroughly between those who deserve such a step back to a moment in time and those opportunists who only know a singular dimension.
Oh, Yes the doorknob did come off in my hand while I was greeting them. So, I suppose we actually were at fault after all....of at least something that was stated.

Reviewed February 22, 2010

I am an impressionist art lover and Degas is among my fav artists, so I was thrilled at the prospect of staying here, even if for only one night. Unfortunately, my stay was quite different from those about which there are other reviews speaking of arriving to wine, cheese, crackers, etc. I arrived to an empty, dark, locked house. When I reached someone by my cell phone, I was given the code to unlock the key lockbox to be able to get in the house. No one was there to unlock the door, greet me, or assist me with luggage up two flights of stairs containing many, many steps to my attic "Garrett" Room (Pierre). Even after advising the person I spoke to on the phone that we would be in for the rest of the evening, no one arrived. There was no wine, no cheese, no crackers -- there was no food or drink, whatsoever. There wasn't even the book to peruse or movie to watch that is advertised on their website. I looked in vain for something to read about the house but all I could find were various wedding albums of people who had been married at the house laid out on a table (an obvious advertisement for utilizing the house for such purpose). Because we had a morning flight out of New Orleans, we were going to miss the house tour the next day, so I asked Sharon, the cook who arrived the next morning (who made us wonderful Creole omelettes) about the house, its history, its stories; despite having worked there for 11 years, she was able to tell us nothing. I will buy the book and the DVD to learn about it. For me and for many who stay at B&Bs, a great part of a B&Bs charm is the owner's or resident manager's interaction with the guests, their stories, etc. That was totally absent here. As for the house, itself, the first floor was quite cold and drafty. The heater in our attic room worked well; the room was adequate and austere. The brass bed appeared to be broken. The beautiful rooms were on the second floor -- these are also the pricy rooms. I wonder if my experience might have been different if I had booked one of the rooms on the second floor or if I hadn't booked my stay using BookIt.com. I won't find out, as I won't return again to stay at the Degas House.

• Stayed: February 2010
6  Thank MargateP
Reviewed January 11, 2010

Our attic room was hot and dark. Our beds were uncomfortable. They charged me for 4 nights even though we only stayed 3 and wouldn't refund the charge. The area seems unsafe. I wouldn't walk outside after dark. Or alone during the day. Quaint? Yes. Comfortable? No. Would I stay here again? Definitely not.

7  Thank James_solo
rubi1, owner at Degas House, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2010

After many phone calls and discussions, and after an inordinate amount of time attempting to make sense of this complaint, my efforts to yield a fair and equitable solution resulted in much energy and time spent on an individual who is not dealing in good faith and seems opportunistic, as evidenced by his apparent attempt to charge back and who apparently seeks to force us to refund without cause. After eating our meals, drinking our wine, and living with us for a weekend, this complainant is using Trip Advisor to pressure us to break the agreement that we operate under and to refund, with absolutely no accountability on his part., as he did not call to cancel the first night of his stay within the 2 week period prior to arrival,
The house being creaky,(yes, it's a historic house with an award winning restoration, a museum home), the room being too hot (turn the temp down in your room, as you would at home), and the "not feeling safe" (then why stay out all night? why order a horse and carriage if you don't feel safe?This statement says more about the character of the individual than our neighborhood, which includes a school and church); "slow service" (this individual did not even show up for breakfast...just another shallow attempt to hurt us without cause). In my opinion, after researching this out completely, these are all completely bogus claims, having no integrity nor honor behind them. Yet, his name is private, while he exercises a power play against our establishment. This is nothing more than a dishonest cheap shot and an attempt to manipulate, using the "system" to validate his apparent unscrupulous actions.
Degas House hosts many weddings and in our 16 year history have never had to deal with destructive behavour like this. The wedding weekend, that this complainant attended,and the many parties that accompanied it, were all successful and with only praise for my staff, who, as usual, went out of their way to make everything memorable for the bride. Degas House has numerous awards, including from the French Minister of Culture, among several preservation awards. We are very proud of our work and our history. Perhaps if this complainant would have taken the tour, which explains our unique history, he would have a better understanding of the importance of this historic site. Of course, this was really never what this individual was all about to begin with.

Reviewed January 3, 2010

The Degas House is a well kept secret just a few minutes cab ride to the French Quarter. We enjoyed the tall ceilings and architecture as well as the peaceful neighborhood. The tour of the property is a must for anyone staying in the bed and breakfast. While we enjoyed the beauty of the property and quiet neighborhood life, the tour made the house come to life!! The realization that Degas had worked and painted within those same walls and the importance of the property as a springboard to the French Impressionist movement made it ever more beautiful and romantic!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HFive
Reviewed December 4, 2009

The Degas house is an great way to experience all the nuances of New Orleans. The beautiful, scenic location on Esplanade allows you to experience the indulgent nature of New Orleans. The large oak trees lining Esplanade, as well as the architecture of the house itself, underline the historical significance of the property. For art lovers, the importance of the Degas house in the body of work produced by Edgar Degas will have special significance. For the general traveler, the quaint rooms, outdoor courtyard, great breakfasts, and strategic location to the French Quarter, French Market, great New Orleans dining, and Bourbon St. will stand on their own merits. It is a peaceful location with a great staff-highly recommended!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank WildAdventures
Reviewed October 12, 2009

My first time in New Orleans and I had the opportunity to stay at the Degas House. I am very interested in painting, particularly impressionist history, so I was really looking forward to my stay. All I can say is that I was blown away by this charming, historic home and all of the knowledge I gained. Every room is unique and has it's own story. Take advantage of the wonderful tour...the life of Edgar Degas is absolutely fascinating. Our room was very clean and we were greeted with a bottle of wine, fruit, cheese and crackers, chocolates and flowers !! Sharon, the manager, is just delightful and her cooking is excellent ! I will definitely stay here again and will highly recommend Degas House.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends