“Lovely Breakfast, Historical Home”
Review of Degas House

Degas House
Ranked #53 of 139 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Lovely Breakfast, Historical Home”
Reviewed March 3, 2012

We stayed one night at the Degas House in October 2011 for my husbands birthday. The location is in a quiet neighborhood of New Orleans. We had a comfortable stay and would consider staying there again. We loved the dining room where breakfast is served. There are lots of windows and the sun was streaming in on the beautifully set dining table. The food was very good. You won't be disappointed if you book a room here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LoveTheSouth
degashouse, Owner at Degas House, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you so much for the kind words we really do appreciate it. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Edgar Degas House Museum Courtyard & Inn for your birthday celebration. We are happy you enjoyed our hot French Creole Breakfast and hope you will return to New Orleans and stay with us again sometime soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2011

I stayed at this hotel in April 2011 and now, eight months on, I frequently find myself, back at the grind of work, taking a few moments to recollect how happy I was at Degas House in New Orleans. It's true this four-night stay was part of the best holiday I have ever been on but this was definitely a highlight. It was just so wonderfully strange.

The tree-lined street was beautiful, the breakfasts were just so incredible (I am still trying to lose the stone I put on on that trip) and you took them at one table with everybody else which was unusual and great. You could go into the garden if you preferred not to do this or to have a coffee and read the paper with some privacy afterwards.

The house itself was fascinating. We took the free tour for guests on the last day of our stay and were shown about by Degas's great-grand niece, incredibly. It turned out we had been staying in what had been the sickroom where everybody died of Yellow Fever back in the day.

I remember when we arrived, the woman who welcomed us in took a good look at me and said, 'Cold beer?' which really impressed me. There were Hershey kisses in bowls in the hallways, just sort of there to be eaten. It was so quirky and uncorporate and I think a really good foil to the other very full-on New Orleans experiences which are great but it's good to have a bit of a rest!

I can't remember the cost now but I do remember thinking it was extremely good value for what was such a special experience. On our last night there, there was a wedding going on; fairy lights everywhere and people sitting on the balconies in fancy clothes and it really was like some sort of living painting. I was utterly enchanted.

Room Tip: All the rooms are completely different and have their own histories so just go with what you can aff...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hifelicity
degashouse, Manager at Degas House, responded to this review, January 15, 2012
We are so glad that we were part of your best holiday ever – what an honor! Thank you for the fantastic review. We hope you can get away from work and return to Degas House!
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed December 17, 2011

We learned of the Degas House when Living Social offered a half-off on a garret room stay, and decided it would be a cozy, intimate place to celebrate our wedding anniversary. When we arrived, Julie offered to upgrade us to the Estelle Room (aka the Bridal Suite) for a small fee, and after seeing the room, there was no question. We would have been quite happy in the garret room, but we were ecstatic in Estelle. It really is more of a suite, with a king-sized four poster, a daybed in an alcove and exclusive use of the front balcony -- oh, and a decanter of port in the room as well. Julie also offered us each a complementary glass of wine, which we sipped while rocking on the balcony and enjoying the view of this grand old neighborhood. The house was made even more elegant with the holiday decorations, including a massive tree illuminated with thousands of lights in the front parlor. Breakfast was served in a well-appointed room just off of the kitchen -- probably the original butler's pantry. We had planned on the tour, but my husband had a cold, so we decided to head straight home and do the tour the next time.

Just a couple of minor issues that drops it from 5 points to 4 -- as others noted, the Estelle bathroom features a claw-footed tub. However, there is no place in or near the tub to put toiletries other than the floor. It is impossible to balance bottles on the sides of a claw-footed tub. Not a problem if taking a bath, but a definite inconvenience when using the shower. Also -- and those who have read my reviews know that this is a recurring complaint -- there was nothing such as a towel ring to hang a hand towel on once it had been used. I simply cannot dry my hands once and drop the towel on the floor. The television is a 20-inch analog, which looks completely out of place and would be impossible to watch from across the room. Personally, I don't think the room needs a t.v., but if it's going to have one, it should be a decent size flat screen.

Breakfast was good, but not exceptional. Coffee, tea, and fixings were on a sideboard and orange juice was on the table. We were offered waffles, sausage and eggs. My husband asked for everything. I asked for waffles and sausage. We both got half of a waffle and one small patty of sausage; he, of course, got eggs. I mistakenly assumed that "waffles" meant more than one waffle or that I would at least get a whole one. We were not asked if we wanted seconds, and I didn't want to wait while another waffle was cooked. I filled up on a store-bought pastry from the sideboard; it was fresh, at least. Fruit was a wedge of watermelon and a few grapes. We both ordered bloody Marys. They were typical New Orleans-style drinks, extremely spicy, with a pickled okra and pickle juice. I took one sip, and passed it on to my husband, who drank them both right up. If you're like me, order the mimosa. I imagine you could get milk; we didn't ask.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dr_QBatonRouge
degashouse, Manager at Degas House, responded to this review, January 15, 2012
Thank you for your great review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We really appreciate your constructive criticism, and are taking each issue seriously. We have ordered a new shelf for the Estelle bathroom and we will be getting a new television. We want the room to keep its authentic feel, while keeping our guests happy with everyday amenities. We have come up with a great solution for the placement of the flat screen. We have been making some changes to breakfast, and we will make sure that all of our guests get plenty of servings and more fruit. Again, thank you for your review, as we are able to make improvements for the comfort of all of our guests.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Our stay in the Estelle Room was like a trip back in time. The New Orleans Museum of Art, 10 blocks down Esplanade Ave, has an exhibit of an upper class 19th Century NOLA home. How cool to look at the art exhibit and then return to our own Degas House and our own Estelle Room that looked just like the one displayed at the museum. How fun to take a hot bath in an old cast iron claw foot tub. How wonderful to rock in in a rocker on our 2nd floor porch looking on Esplande Ave. Lucky us! Plus, we had 21st Century amenities, like top drawer linens, tv, stereo and air conditioning. We slept great.
Our stay was a personal trip back in time. Property Manager Julia became an instant friend. Lotty was the best cook, creating for breakfast yummy french toast with bananas foster sauce. And, Housekeeper Sharon took me back to my childhood with her loving care. I've never before had such a magical feeling of return to my old home. Thank you, thank you.
Travelers - be aware that The Degas House is just off the beaten path. We were happy to have a car. We took cabs to the French Quarter and that cost, with tip, is about $10.
Our unqualified rating - 5 stars!!.

Room Tip: The Estelle Room is the best room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dawn F
degashouse, Manager at Degas House, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Degas House. We are so honored that our home was a magical experience for you. We loved having you as our guest, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Degas' great grand-niece took me on an amazing 1:1 tour of this house. I walked here from the French Quarter and Margeaux even recommended a fabulous burger place (Port of Call) for the walk home. This was THE highlight of my trip to NOLA.

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank Azavakos
degashouse, Manager at Degas House, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
Thank you for your kind review. We are so honored that we were the highlight of your trip! Come again!
Reviewed October 7, 2011

The B&B was beautiful, great friendly service. The rooms were so spacious and comfortable. The food was excellent!!!! The tour of the Degas family was very informative and interesting. Two thumbs up!!

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank Sugarnurse
degashouse, Manager at Degas House, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. We enjoyed you as our guest and look forward to your return!
Waxahachie, Texas
Reviewed October 5, 2011

The Degas House is one of the most surprising gems in New Orleans. From the creature comfort found in the unique rooms to the scruptious made to order Creole Breakfast! The Ladies in the office, Kelly and Julia made sure that we were comfortable and well taken care of. The two WONDERFUL Ladies that serve that glorious breakfast in the morning, Ms Sharon and Ms Lana aim to please! They are not to busy to take some time to share their wonderful recipes along with actually showing you how to make it step by step! Move over Emeril, these two Ladies should have their own cooking show!I highly recommend this place! We will be back along with a couple of our friends to experience New Orleans at its BEST!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank LaDonna G
degashouse, Manager at Degas House, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
Thanks for the great review. We loved having you and your family here. We hope you are enjoying making your new breakfast recipes. We look forward to seeing you again!