“Rating is for the hotel only...the neighborhood is another story”

Super 8 New Orleans
Ranked #94 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was our first trip to New Orleans and we really just wanted somewhere to stay on our way back to Oklahoma from Florida. The reviews seemed good so I booked it.
The hotel itself is very nice. Nice rooms (we were in 347) and good size bathrooms. It was clean and seemed secure. The beds were very nice (firm) and had good pillows provided. We had plenty of warm water. There was coffee and an iron/ironing board that we did not use but seemed nice. The vending machines didn't work on our floor but there is vending near the front desk. The ice machine was also near our room. Elevators were small and very warm but hey it's Louisana...it is warm there. Wifi was not able to connect when we were there which was a little inconvienent but livable. Parking in back is a little hard especially when trying to park a F150 under the overhang. We barely fit.
We had a few issues but you live and learn. First one the hotel fixed promptly. We were woken up at 12:30 by screaming laughing giggling children next door. I had seen them going in and out earlier that evening but assumed that there was an adult in the room as well. I must have been wrong. It is very hard to wake me out of a dead sleep but dadgum if they didn't do it. I called down to the front desk and stated the problem and the man at the desk was apologetic and said they would get send someone up to take care of it. After I got off the phone, I banged on the connecting door and that was pretty funny listening to them scatter into their beds. After about 10 minutes it had started getting loud again but someone (I assume the security guard) knocked on the door and that was the end of that.
Our main problem was the neighborhood. I must have booked the nicest hotel in the ghetto. Next door is a huge abandoned apartment building with all sorts of stuff hanging out the windows. It is slightly frightening. Next to that is the adult video store. We felt fine staying there one night but wouldn't extend our trip in this neighborhood. It was just slightly uncomfortable enough that we didn't leave our room after about 8:30 and slept with a 9mm (that I have a license to carry-calm down) on the nightstand. Oh they also lock the gates to the rear parking area at night and don't open them till 6am. That is fine I just wish we would have known because we tried to leave before 6 and had to go to the front desk to find someone to open the gates.
Oh and my last impression of this neighborhood was the hooker that was crossing the street as we were leaving...
In short-Hotel good enough. Neighborhood-bad
I took a picture of the abandoned building and will upload it later so you can see what I am talking about.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ambo616

Reviewed July 24, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I didn't like the parking. the breakfast was ok. the price for my 3 night was excellent. bathroom was too small, upgrade to flat screen tvs. need more furniture in the rooms. but overall I will stay again. and front desk was very friendly and helpful too.

Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Super8NO, Director of Sales at Super 8 New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

I would like to thank you for sending in a review about our hotel. At this time we are making upgrades for the hotel. Flat screen tv are on the list. Once again thank you for staying at Super 8

Kenneth Matherne

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was the first time I stayed at this hotel. I found the staff very pleasant and helpful, especially
the maid staff. The free breakfast every morning was great with a lot of choices. That helped us save a lot on food.My only criticisms were that the bathrooms seemed too small and my room in particular didn't have a lot of lighting. My father stayed at this hotel during a visit to New Orleans a few years ago, and when we came back for a family reunion he made sure that we stayed here again. Based on my experiences during my stay, I would make this my regular hotel stop in New Orleans.

1  Thank reginald c
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The staff was extremely friendly. The room had an old smelling odor.although it appeared clean, it was far from it. The floor was so dirty. My son walked around with white socks on for only 3 minutes and they were black. The bed was very uncomfortable. I tried to stay on the go so when I got back to the room I would fall straight to sleep. If they would shampoo their carpet and spend a little more. Money on air freshener, it would not be that bad. Oh yeah maybe get a hotel shuttle

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

On behalf of our staff and managers we would like to thank you for writing a review on our hotel. I am very disappointed that your stay wasn't 100% satisfied. I have spoken to the manager of housekeeping and he informed me that we bought a new carpet shampoo machine and they are working hard to make sure all our rooms are cleaned.

Thanks
Kenneth Matherne

Reviewed July 18, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Candy Q
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was our first trip to NOLA, and found the people to be friendly, especially the hotel staff. Since we were attending a convention downtown for most of the week, the staff's advice on downtown parking was invaluable. Small maintainence issues were handled quickly. The maid staff, particularly Ms Cathy Smith did an excellent job, making our stay feel like home. Thanks again for a great stay.

Room Tip: Excellent price rather than the higher priced downtown rooms. About 10 minutes from downtown and all...