“"A clean comfortable room" -- and nice people!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Crescent Palms Motel

The Crescent Palms Motel
Ranked #119 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Baltimore, Maryland
“"A clean comfortable room" -- and nice people!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I found this on TripAdvisor and I am very glad I did. This is the fourth time I am coming to a large convention in the Convention Center. Rather than staying in one of the large hotels there, or in the French Quarter, I decided to rent a car and use this motel. I am so glad I did. Even with the rental car, I saved quite a bit of money over HiltonHyattSheratonMarriott and I could see a little bit of real New Orleans (warts and all...), rather than the hyper-touristy area between French Quarter and Convention Center.

Don't use this motel if decor in your room is important, you will be disappointed. However, if you want a safe, clean, comfortable room, and service with a smile, this is the place for you. I don't care if the tiles in the bathroom are from the seventies, as long as they are clean. And they are sparkling clean in this place, as is everything in the room and the rest of the motel. You get everything what you expect in a standard motel, a pretty large room (with a fridge but no microwave or coffee maker, neither of which I need), free wifi (good signal, at least in the room I had), ice etc. And the staff is very friendly.

They have room for about 10 cars in the courtyard. I suppose if more rooms are occupied (they must have a total of 30 or so), you would have to park in the street. There is ample space but I would be a bit worried about security there.

Which brings us to the area. As was noted, it is not exactly a fancy neighborhood. A strange mix of large tracts of brand-new houses but also vacant lots and run-down clapboard houses. I would not want to take a stroll at midnight alone in this area but I had absolutely no problems driving or walking during daytime or in the evening.

Overall, a great find!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank ErnestFromBaltimore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Gulfport, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

The hotel was not in the nicest of neighborhoods but is very clean, spacious with a frig, (no microwave) and clean bathroom. Book this motel if everything else is booked. That's why I booked it. Up the street is a churches chicken, checkers, and a few other fast food choices. The bad part of the neighborhood starts a large block away. You are very safe where the motel is.

Room Tip: checkers up the street has a drive thru if you dont feel comfortable getting out your car.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank JoJo30058
Texarkana, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I booked this hotel the night before our arrival because our original plans fell through. What a mistake! I don't know why this hotel has such great reviews. It is in the projects! Yes, it had a small gated parking lot....because they have to! Shady men were hanging around the front of he hotel drinking and being loud. It's surrounded by run down houses and buildings. We booked our hotel through a travel site so I called them and explained that this was not a safe place to stay and they put me through to the hotel manager. He said will charge me for one night even though we didn't check in. I called my bank and disputed the charges. I am not afraid cheap hotels but this is the kind of place that should charge by the hour.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Allison B
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Is the hotel in the greatest neighborhood?No, it's not. But French Quarter is a short ten-minute drive (if that). The interior parking lot is fenced off at night, and i felt perfectly safe here. Stayed here just 48 hours after Hurricane Isaac, and much of the city was still without power, but the staff made me feel right at home: they happily dropped what they were doing to prepare my room (two hours before check-in!), gave me info on a superb shortcut highway that saved me hours the next day, and were painfully nice (Yvette was amazing!!). It was safe, clean, and a great price. If you're doing New Orleans on a budget, this place is perfect.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank TheNeilski
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

This place is a classic motel that has been recently renovated. Clean, quiet and Kendall, the manager was extremely hospitable and helpful. There's nowhere much to walk to nearby from here, but it's a short drive from Uptown, Loyola and Tulane Universities and the French Quarter.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank daibread
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I saw the reviews online for this motel and thought I'd give it a try...never again. First off, the location is beyond horrible. The beds were itchy I had to spray them with Lysol just to stop the itching. The room I stayed in was halfway clean with dirt in the bathroom's floor cracks and pubic hair in the shower. The staff however are helpful and friendly but please don't make the decision to stay just on this. There are motels 2x better than this for the same price. Also they write your credit card number in full on the check in paperwork when asked about this I was told that they shred it once payment has gone through.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by the gated parking, it's only big enough for 10 cars.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Dominique D
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

After reading the reviews on here and seeing that most of them were positive and I was on a budget I decided to give it a shot despite being a bit nervous about the location as it was noted in some of the reviews that it was in a sketchy neighborhood. Being a single woman traveling alone I was hoping the location wasn't as bad as some previous reviews stated.

I was pleasantly surprised that the neighborhood wasn't as bad as I thought is was going to be. There was a lot of new homes being built in the area and yes there were a few boarded up but not as many as I thought there would be. I never once felt unsafe.

Kendall the manager was GREAT !! When I asked him about how to drive to the French quarter, he said it would be easier if I left my car there (behind the locked gates). He offered to give me a ride and told me if I wanted to take a cab back, it would be around 10.00 or he said I could call him on his cell and he would come and get me. I took the cab back and it was 10.00 like he said, plus a tip.

The room was very clean, the carpet was either new or just cleaned. The flat screen TV worked great and the free wifi worked great as well. It was nice to have a fridge as my dogs food needs to be refrigerated. Another good thing about this hotel is not only are they pet friendly, Kendall didn't charge anything for having 2 small dogs.

My only complaint and its a small one, is that they have no coffee makers in the rooms. I drink a lot of coffee and had to take a 2 minute drive to a gas station to get some.

During my cross country trip my windshield cracked and the glass people are going to come to the hotel in the morning to fix it. I let Kendall know and he had no problem with it. He even said I can stay past checkout if they are not finished by then.

I 100% recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area. The hotel staff is friendly and go above and beyond to make their guests happy. The rate is unbelievely low but the quality is high.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo