“Highly Recommended. Unbeatable hospitality and value.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Dauphine House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #40 of 140 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Berkeley, CA
“Highly Recommended. Unbeatable hospitality and value.”
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Karen was my favorite host of all the B&Bs I've ever stayed at. Upon our arrival, she gave us the perfect overview of restaurants, nightlife, and sightseeing, which enabled us to take in the best of New Orleans in only a few days. I found myself still relying on the map and recommendations that she gave us a week later when I was staying across town at the conference that brought me to N.O. We had a great deal of privacy throughout our stay. It was easy to contact Karen by phone. And, on our last day she anticipated our every need and really went out of her way to help us out, my partner needing to catch a flight at the same time the weather forecasters predicted a hurricane landing, and me needing to transfer to my conference site across town where I had a late check-in time.

The bathroom and the vanity were spotless, and the room got freshened up nicely every day. It was great having the fridge, fresh orange juice, pastries, and fruit handy 24/7. And you can't beat this location if you are interested in enjoying the best live music produced anywhere in the city – only a few blocks down, on Frenchmen Street (also located just outside the French Quarter). Even when I stayed across town for a conference, I found myself returning to the Dauphine House neighborhood every night. It’s a peaceful neighborhood by day with fun local hangouts to frequent by night, including a fish boil every Friday night at the bar/restaurant on Royal and Kerelac. There’s a nice café a block away (open 24 hrs for part of the week). We got a tasty breakfast in a nice atmosphere at Rose Nicaud café on Frenchmen St. A nice, casual place for a peaceful lunch, as well.

You can’t beat the Dauphine House for hospitality, location, and value. I miss being there already.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
uptowngirl504
Reviewed July 16, 2009

My fiance' and I needed a place to stay for several days while our home was being worked on. Dauphine was the perfect respite and gave us an unexpected vacation in addition from getting away from the dust and hammers. Not only is it steps to the French Quarter but it is also steps to the Marigny which is a hotspot for locals, jazz music and great restaurants. The rooms are tastefully decorated and impeccably clean which is important since I am a clean freak. And Karen, what a wonderful proprietor and historian too! She told us stories we did not even know about our city, AND WE ARE FROM HERE! Next time we do a staycation we will definitely go to Dauphine house.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank June C
Lubbock, TX
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Loved every minute of staying at the Dauphine House in New Orleans. It's close to the French Quarter and the owner is so sweet and knowledgeable about New Orleans! Chat with her if you get the chance. She also gave my boyfriend and I a free ghost tour with a company she works with. It was awesome!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Foodie7147
Olching
Reviewed April 21, 2009

First of all a big "THANK YOU" Karen for making our stay in your wonderful B&B a special one.
We arrived earlier as planned and gave Karen a short call that we are in front of her house. She welcomed us in a way that we felt like at home from the first minute on. Karen explained where to go and eat in New Orleans and the most exciting thing was the haunted tour we joined in with Karen as the tour-guide.
Our room was absolutely beautiful furnished with high ceilings, a comfy bed, a huge bathroom and everything completely clean. As we are really picky guests we appreciated these conditions and where so glad to have chosen Dauphine House. The house itself is amazing with a lot of plants and flowers sourrounding it. You can see that Karen really looks after it and has an eye for details.
We enjoyed our stay at Dauphine House and would definitley recommend this location to our family and friends.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 13, 2009

This little B&B is the perfect place to stay if you love the hustle and bustle of NOLA but really want a quiet, 'neighborhoody' little inn to come home to at night. I enjoyed the 5-10 minute walk through the neighborhood into the heart of the French Quarter each day, and the cab back late at night never cost more than $7 w/ tip. My spacious room was furnished with a TV and small fridge, but was otherwise charmingly decorated in a style befitting the time period of the house. Karen was a wonderful innkeeper - she even met me at the airport shuttle stop, a couple of blocks from the inn, and walked me to the Dauphine House! (find me a Hotel Chain that offers that!) Her friendly hospitality ended up making me feeling like I was an old friend who was staying the weekend for a fun visit and not an anonymous guest. This place is a gem!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank tallbroad
Finland
Reviewed March 11, 2009

We stayed at the Dauphine House one week - the last two days of the Mardi Gras and then the rest of the week. We had the front room which has a door opening straight to the street. The room is lovely and Karen keeps the place really clean. There is a fridge and coffee machine in the room and Karen brings you a basket full of muffins and fruits etc every night for your breakfast. No separate breakfast room - you have a table for two in your room, which suited us fine.
Karen is a great host who knows a lot about New Orleans - just ask! She even does walking tours around the French Quarter and invited us to join.
If you are a light sleeper I suggest you ask Karen for a room in the back yard since the street noise might wake you up. The street is not really noisy but the Frenchmen Street is near so there are people coming home from the bars late at night. (The horse carriages also go home/stables this way so you can hear them, too. That I found just charming, though.)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RiikkaLotta
Karen222, Owner at Dauphine House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 24, 2009
In defense of this room, I would like to mention that I have returning guests who request this room. I think it's because they like to sit on the front steps and watch my neighborhood go by! One couple regularly books this room for 10 days at a time during our music festival season. Another couple books this room each year for their anniversary. Plus, there is a window unit in the room that provides background noise. FYI, my personal bedroom is directly above this room, so I too hear the activity in the street. But, obviously, I'm used to the folks walking home from Frenchmen Street and the clippity-clop of the carriages on their way back to the stables.
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 25, 2009

My friend and I spent a long weekend at the Dauphine House in December and hated to leave. We had the two rooms in the back, which were blissfully quiet and far from the raucous crowds

We enjoyed the 5-10 minute walk through the quieter neighborhoods to the main attractions of the French Quarter.

Karen was a superb hostess and made us feel like family. From the moment I first spoke with her on the phone, it was obvious that she loves her work and is (justifiably) proud of the rennovations she has done.

In addition to its charm, the rooms were very comfortable. I am a snob about beds because I have a bad back and mine was perfect.

The front room was occupied, so we didn't see it, but of our two rooms, I would recommend the one farthest back as it has a much bigger bath.

We were there during a cold snap in December, but the room had both a window A/C unit and a ceiling fan, so I suspect it would be cool in summer as well.

Karen was away while we were there, but before she left, she filled our refrigerators with OJ and pastries and left us both a bunch of banana.

It was a wonderful stay and I would definitely recommend the Dauphine House to all my friends.

• Liked — The peaceful location
  • Disliked — Nothing - everything was great.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends