“Your B&B 'Home away from Home'!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Dauphine House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #42 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 13, 2009

This little B&B is the perfect place to stay if you love the hustle and bustle of NOLA but really want a quiet, 'neighborhoody' little inn to come home to at night. I enjoyed the 5-10 minute walk through the neighborhood into the heart of the French Quarter each day, and the cab back late at night never cost more than $7 w/ tip. My spacious room was furnished with a TV and small fridge, but was otherwise charmingly decorated in a style befitting the time period of the house. Karen was a wonderful innkeeper - she even met me at the airport shuttle stop, a couple of blocks from the inn, and walked me to the Dauphine House! (find me a Hotel Chain that offers that!) Her friendly hospitality ended up making me feeling like I was an old friend who was staying the weekend for a fun visit and not an anonymous guest. This place is a gem!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank tallbroad

Reviewed March 11, 2009

We stayed at the Dauphine House one week - the last two days of the Mardi Gras and then the rest of the week. We had the front room which has a door opening straight to the street. The room is lovely and Karen keeps the place really clean. There is a fridge and coffee machine in the room and Karen brings you a basket full of muffins and fruits etc every night for your breakfast. No separate breakfast room - you have a table for two in your room, which suited us fine.
Karen is a great host who knows a lot about New Orleans - just ask! She even does walking tours around the French Quarter and invited us to join.
If you are a light sleeper I suggest you ask Karen for a room in the back yard since the street noise might wake you up. The street is not really noisy but the Frenchmen Street is near so there are people coming home from the bars late at night. (The horse carriages also go home/stables this way so you can hear them, too. That I found just charming, though.)

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RiikkaLotta
Karen222, Owner at Dauphine House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2009

In defense of this room, I would like to mention that I have returning guests who request this room. I think it's because they like to sit on the front steps and watch my neighborhood go by! One couple regularly books this room for 10 days at a time during our music festival season. Another couple books this room each year for their anniversary. Plus, there is a window unit in the room that provides background noise. FYI, my personal bedroom is directly above this room, so I too hear the activity in the street. But, obviously, I'm used to the folks walking home from Frenchmen Street and the clippity-clop of the carriages on their way back to the stables.

Reviewed January 25, 2009

My friend and I spent a long weekend at the Dauphine House in December and hated to leave. We had the two rooms in the back, which were blissfully quiet and far from the raucous crowds

We enjoyed the 5-10 minute walk through the quieter neighborhoods to the main attractions of the French Quarter.

Karen was a superb hostess and made us feel like family. From the moment I first spoke with her on the phone, it was obvious that she loves her work and is (justifiably) proud of the rennovations she has done.

In addition to its charm, the rooms were very comfortable. I am a snob about beds because I have a bad back and mine was perfect.

The front room was occupied, so we didn't see it, but of our two rooms, I would recommend the one farthest back as it has a much bigger bath.

We were there during a cold snap in December, but the room had both a window A/C unit and a ceiling fan, so I suspect it would be cool in summer as well.

Karen was away while we were there, but before she left, she filled our refrigerators with OJ and pastries and left us both a bunch of banana.

It was a wonderful stay and I would definitely recommend the Dauphine House to all my friends.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Susan1958
Reviewed January 6, 2009

We just returned from a week at the Dauphine House and what a marvelous time we had. This B&B is located about 1.5 blocks outside the Quarter. I would highly recomend it if you are looking for a beautiful, small bed and breakfast that allows you all the privacy you require. This place has just 3 rooms rented out, all downstairs and Karen, the owner lives onsite upstairs. She was just wonderful as we arrived, helping us get the bags in and even suppling us with a parking pass (Which if you know New Orleans is a HUGE money saver)We had clean fresh towels daily and a very nice breakfast basket delivered every evening to your room as there is not a common dinning room as in some other B&B's (There was a table for two in the room, coffee maker with all the trimins, microwave and small fridge) She even surprised us with champange and fresh strawberries one evening. The perfect place for a romantic get away and there is always so much to do in the French Quarter. This will be the only place we stay on future trips. I will say that even with all the people we met we did not find another that had as good of a deal as we did. I hope this helps you make your decicision as to lodging!!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Morencie1218
Reviewed November 22, 2008

I stayed in this B&B for several nights for a conference and could not have been more pleased. The room and service of the B&B was impeccable, made all the more pleasant with the incredible, caring Karen as your host to New Orleans. The room is gorgeously decorated, and exceedingly clean. The location is fabulous, just across the street from the French Quarter, but more importantly also just around the corner to Frenchman street where there is arguably better music than in the Quarter. The B&B is set up such that you can have all the privacy you want, or, as suited me, become friends with the other wonderful people in the B&B and have people to dine with. Karen is the most attentive and caring host, and will do everything possible to make your stay wonderful. I give this the highest recommendation: an homey, gorgeous retreat with the best location in New Orleans.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank wanderlust7359
Reviewed July 20, 2008

Karen was such a pleasure from the time I booked the room over the phone until she helped us with a cab on our way back to the airport. The Dauphine house was so charming and clean and her hospitality was amazing. The location is perfect and withtin gwalking distance to everything. Karen even took time out to describe the area and map out anything we inquired about. Our stay there made our trip even more amazing!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2008

The house is very cute, with beautifull french balconies and little garden in the back. Karen is the most amazing host. Extremely friendly and told us the best local places to go. The New Orleans Experience is not complete without staying at Dauphine House

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple