“Great, Comfortable Hotel Near the Heart of New Orleans French Quarter”

Wyndham La Belle Maison
GreenLeadersGold level
sf bay area
“Great, Comfortable Hotel Near the Heart of New Orleans French Quarter”
Reviewed March 29, 2010

We stayed a week at La Belle Maison from March 15 - 22, 2010. We loved the place for its location. From the airport we reserved with Deluxe Shuttle a private limousine, round trip for $200 for a party of 5. Though the ride was only 30 minutes, it was pure heaven. Although we were invited to partake the whiskey and scotch, we accepted the ice cold bottles of water. Door to door service was fantastic. Well worth it for a large group. At La Belle Maison we had two one-bedroom units on the 7th floor. I let my mother and sister and her husband take the room with two outside windows. It was like a maze to get there. My husband and I took the one where the windows look out into the atrium of the hotel. It was disconcerting to not know if it was day or night from our room. We loved the spaciousness and high ceilings, the large refrigerator, granite counter tops, the clean bathroom, the extra bath towels, the flat tv screens. The staff was most helpful and friendly. We were always greeted with a smile. Tours were booked with no problem at the activities desk and info and tips given out to fit our needs. We went on three walking tours and loved best the French Quarter History one with Kevin. He was a riot, making us laugh the whole time. We were well entertained. with so much history and juicy information. The haunted French Quarter tour was definitely spooky and we really liked the Garden District tour with the beautiful homes and seeing where Anne Rice, Nicholas Cage and Brad and Angelina and the Manning family live. The city tour was an eye-opener with a view of the Katrina aftermath. We attended the time share presentation and my sister and husband were given a $75 gift card for their 90 minute time. No pressure and we all were impressed by Bruce, a complete and knowledgeable professional. We rode the trolleys, so crowded on the St. Charles to and from the beginning and end of line. Loved touring the WWW II museum (stayed for 5 hours!) and Mardi Gras World. Hated Hurrah's Casino for its smokiness. Could hardly breathe in there. Food was excellent at Cafe Maspero and the Gumbo Shop and Crescent City Brewery. Be aware of the River Edge Restaurant, across from the Cafe du Monde (excellent beignes!). River Edge tried to charge us $2 for hot water and $1 each for small bottle of water, saying they don't serve free water. And their food was terrible and the service sooo slow. As with any urban setting, there were homeless individuals sleeping nearby in the boarded up storefronts, a very sad situation. We were heartened to see the old woman in the wheelchair, surrounded by her strewn belongings and half eaten cartons, on the corner of Magazine and Canal picked up by social services after three cold nights. They say tourism was way down after Katrina. We'll come back again and again to support NOLA's economy. And stay at La Belle Maison.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank susienew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
New York, NY
Reviewed March 23, 2010

We stayed in La Belle Maison in mid-March. Excellent location. Just far away from the craziness and noise of Canal Street, yet close enough to all the different districts and attractions in NOLA. No car needed at all. Every place you'll want to get to is in walking distance. (Be sure to bring comfortable shoes and you're set.)

The room was large - great size living room/dining area space. Especially nice if you're with other friends and want to gather for breakfast or coffee. The bedroom and bathroom, I think, could have used a few more inches of space. Everything is new (as the hotel opened only about 2 years ago) and well maintained.

My biggest complaint is the NOISE from within the hotel. We could clearly hear the guests upstairs from us as well as next door. (I'm thinking they could have taken away a few inches from the room to make it a bit more sound proof. The slamming of doors could be heard clearly as well. Though the room was spacious and no detail overlooked, it had no windows at all. When we asked about it, they said that windows were only for owners and would not move our room.

There is a dipping pool at the hotel which is just that -- a pool to dip in and cool off. Very small. We asked about massages (as the fitness center had a massage room) and were told that the masseuse would come up to our room. (So why have a massage room?)

We plan to return to NOLA , but will stay somewhere else. We need a window for the light.

The only other pointer I could give one visiting NOLA is not to wear open sandals -- especially when walking in areas around Burbon Street. There is a definite reason why they wash down all the streets each morning. Yuck!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Daisy_Stu
Stratford, Connecticut
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Great location; walking distance to French Quarter, Arts District, Casinos, Riverfront, and streetcar. The staff was really wonderful, from the front desk to the valets. We had a lovely time.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NatureGoddess
Marshalltown
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Perfect location. You can walk to all restaurants & shopping in the French Quarter, French Market, Riverwalk and Casino. Condo was very comfortable, beds were awesome. It was nice to have large fridge for drinks and breakfast items. If there was anything negative it was that we did not have any windows that allowed natural light to come into rooms. Overall I would stay here again in a heart beat. Great place and great staff.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank IowaHockeymom
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 12, 2010

Awesome hotel! Recently renovated and withing walking distance to the French Quarter, but away from the noise on Canal Street.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Aaron_Kirby
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We went down to New Orleans for Halloween weekend and stayed through for Monday Night Football. I used my timeshare points, so I'm not sure of the actual 'value' of their prices. The hotel is centrally located right next to Bourbon St., the Riverwalk, Canal Place, the casino and just a short walk to the Superdome. We had a 2 bedroom/2 bath that slept 6 with a full kitchen. There was a convience store around the block that we bought water, soda and snacks at....they were a little over-priced, but nice to have in the room. We experienced several minor maintenence issues...including no toilet paper, no wash clothes and no bedding for the sofa bed. They fixed the first two, and eventually came up with one pillow and a flat sheet, but never a bedspread or anything for our sofa bed. There were a couple of other things, but I don't want to sully Wyndham's reputation on what seemed to me to be a single (lol, we joked--maybe hungover?) housekeeper issue, and probably not overall problems. I submitted a review to Wyndham detailing all the issues and someone from the hotel contacted me the very next day, horrified over what I told her and apologizing profusely etc. I'm over it and would totally stay there again next time I'm in N.O. The front desk people were friendly and very accommodating. The bellmen and porters were nice too, but a little understaffed....as we waited over a half hour to get our bags brought up and evenutally went down and got them ourselves. They did want me to go to an 'update' meeting on what's new with Wyndham....which was basically them trying to get me to upgrade my existing points. It's no pressure, so No means No there and they don't push it.
There wasn't a restaurant in the hotel...but it's N.O....there's food everywhere!
My review sounds a little negative...but it really was a nice property and I definitely would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Angela M
Mandeville, La
Reviewed October 23, 2009

In my room writing the Review! It is awesome! We are locals nad came to celebrate our 19 th Wedding Anniversary! All I can say is we are pleasantly pleased with everything from the Valet, Bellman to Front Desk Clerk! Do yourself a favor and stay here, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple