Marquette House New Orleans International Hostel
Reviewed January 7, 2013

It is 2 blocks from a bus or streetcar directly to Burbon Street. Good security. No lockers. Reliable coffee. common room and garden. Wi-fi only--no computers. Charged almost double for New Years Eve and Day. Clean linen and towel. Travel advice. I didn't get the bunk I was assigned--someone else was in it. Adequate showers and toilets. I would stay again

Room Tip: Check out the bed before paying.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Great fast cleaning stafff fun .personalities and a great rate dorm rooms . Plus the best service qaint courtyards bbq'd pits to grill out and friends of. A .lifetime u will .make at that table in courtyards.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank friutygurl88
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Looking for a lastminute bed in New Orleans last summer I ended up going to the Marquette. Most other hostels where fully booked but the location didnt seem that bad and I decided to take a bed. Upon arriving I should have known, while most hostels where full, the marquette was mostly empty.
The first night was ok-ish. I was fairly tired, and particularly hammered when i finally went to bed. The next day however it was raining and upon arriving after a day in the city i came back to find my bed completely soaked because of a leak in the roof right above my bed. Hammered as I was I decided to move take another bed and pass out there.
On the third day i woke up with the particular bites of bedbugs all over my legs (not aware at that time). I stayed a total of three nights and then finally decided to switch and I moved to the India Hostel which I can strongly recommend.

Overall:
Pro's: the location is allright and they will probably have a bed free 99% of the time
Cons: Dirty, run down, bedbuginfested hostel. The kitchen area and other public spaces are possibly even worse than the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Krinosh
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I've stayed at a number of different hostels over several trips to New Orleans. Marquette House is by far the worst placed I've been to. Two positive points: good location in Garden District, a minute from St.Charles streetcar, and also no bedbugs. That's about it. The hostel is occupied by several locals getting drunk from morning to evening in the backyard, listening to cockrock on an old radio. The rooms smelled like **** and dirty feet, they never clean the showers or the toilets. No hand soap or paper towels anywhere. Staff nowhere to be seen, wi-fi is a joke. It's a very rundown building. It's sad and grim. I know it's just 20 bucks a night but for the same price you could be at Bourbon Hostel a few blocks away in Garden District, or at India House.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank youmightaswell
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay. I stayed for five nights . The staff was friendly and helped me find great places to see during my five night stay.The hostel was clean and I will definately be back.

Susan R.
Irving, Texas

Room Tip: One block from St. Charles Streetcar line. Near restaurants, shops.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Susan R
Reviewed April 3, 2012

For $30 or so a night, I truly have very low expectations. The mattress need not be comfortable, the facilities need not be beautiful. Nothing could have prepared me for the infestation of bed bugs and fleas, however, at Marquette House. It's clear from the facilities that "deferred maintenance" isn't the problem — there's just no maintenance at all. The facilities are dirty and run-down, the bathrooms are literally disgusting and unsanitary. The fleas from the carpet will chow down on your legs while the bed bugs lick their lips preparing for their late night feast (for which you have a reservation!). I might have been able to deal with the fleas (seriously, the thought crossed my mind), but when the bed bugs crawled out, I made the decision to sleep in my car until I could make other arrangements. Beware.

Room Tip: Try one of the other hostels in New Orleans or sleep in your car.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank J D
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Location! Price! Personality!

We stayed in the 2 bedroom self contained apartments located across the street from the main building of the hostel and couldn't have been happier.

The apartment was clean and a decent size for the 3 of us, with comfy beds and A/C...there was even a bath in my private ensuite bathroom (which I happily relaxed in because it was so clean, really)!

The staff consisted of your usual New Orleans cha-rak-ters, which I loved, but more importantly looked after the hostel and us well, giving us local tips, secrets, and extra help.

As we were in NOLA for Jazzfest, we were out most of the time, so the stay may have been different if i'd stayed in the whole time but...you're in New Orleans! The are too too many good times to be had to stay in, much less sleep for more than 4 hours a night :-)

Room Tip: Just remember. It's a hostel. Not the Grand Hyatt.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends