“Don't trust this hotel!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Columns Hotel

and 1 more site!
Columns Hotel
Ranked #119 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Gulfport, MS
“Don't trust this hotel!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2011

We booked the bridal suite for my husband's 30th birthday. We have never been more excited. I had called a couple of times to make sure everything was set. We had a bottle of champagne added to the room. When we arrived, the hotel had given away our room to another guest coming in early!! They were apologetic but stuck to their guns and bumped us to an awful room. Old, small, musty and dirty with no view at all. The floor was softer than the bed. (Actually all the beds are like that.) We were heart broken and finally asked for our money back. My mother had paid for this for us and she called and tried to reason with them. The man at the front desk was nice and polite as was the manager. But, would not budge on their decision to favor someone else over someone who had had reservations for a month for this room. They did offer us a free night of our choice at another time. We will probably go, but you better believe I will be calling many times to insure we still get the room. I will also bring a memory foam pad for the bed. I will never pay for this hotel. Like other reviewer said, only go there for a drink on the patio or at the bar.
So we left and my mother made us a reservation at the Ritz Carlton which is much nicer and was actually CHEAPER then the bridal suite at The Columns. We are here now. The Ritz is Highly recommended!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here. They are all ratty.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ConnoisseurBarb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

My husband I stayed at the Columns with friends in late January.

Positives: Staff are professional, polite and obliging.

Negaives: We booked room number 9 which we discovered is above the lounge room downstairs and has paper thin floors and walls. What the hotel's website does not make clear is that the bar is open until 1am and the lounge will be full of revellers until that time. So when Iwe retired for the evening at 11pm, I could not sleep for the noise coming through the floor. Room 9 adjoins room 8 which was occupied while we stayed, and the fact that I could hear clearly what the occupant was watching on TV, also made it impossible for me to sleep. The Front Desk staff member obligingly found us another room at the back of the second floor to which we moved at about midnight. The window looked out to the balconied apartment building next door where at 1am, the occupants of the opposite apartment decided to debrief regarding their Friday night out for a half hour or so which also made it impossible to sleep because the windows also have no noise dampening properties. Saturday night's sleeping efforts met with more success. But we had to move back to room 9 on Sunday night as the room we had moved to was prebooked. The Front Desk staffer assured us that Sunday nights were nowhere near as busy as Fridays and Saturdays as the bar closed early. This was a relief. However, what they failed to advise is that the cleaning staff like to listen to David Bowie at full volume when they commence cleaning at about 1am. A stern phone call to the Front Desk shut that down before too long. I figured Monday night must be a quiet night at the Colums. Wrong! Monday night they had a zydeco band scheduled to play. Again, we moved rooms to the smallest but quietest room of our stay at the back of the second floor. Would I stay at the Colums again? Never! Would I visit for a drink and listen to live music? Definitely.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank poodlegirl68

Travelers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Somonauk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

We stayed at the Colunms the 4th of Feb thru the the 6th and let me tell you this place is the best! From the location , the beauty of this old classic Mansion, the bar, the food, the staff ....It has it all! We were here for my sons wedding (which he had right on the lovely front porch) The area is surrounded with beautiful historic homes We took a hour walk & just loved looking at everything! The trolley runs right in front of the Columns so great for getting around if you don't want to drive. You can walk to some area restaurants & the best little Wine Bar is just donwn the street! But you really don't have to leave at all because the bar in the hotel is very popular with guests & just folks looking for a cool place to enjoy a cocktail. The food here is delicious They serve breakfast( included with the room) Also lunch. dinner ,& lovely appetizers! The rooms are clean & comfortable furnished with the era of the home. Word has it there is a resident ghost ! The staff is friendly & helpful! The feel of the place is grand, eclectic,yet homey!
So if your looking for a place that has it all this is where you need to stay!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jarol
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

Did not stay here on this trip, but enjoyed wine and cocktails on the large porch overlooking St. Charles.
Service was great; the menu looked inviting, but we had dinner plans elsewhere.
The Columns is a terrific, relaxing place to kick back with a drink and reflect on the beauty of old New Orleans.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bluffvilla
baton rouge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2011

We have stayed at the Columns Hotel many times because we love the location, the people and the beautiful front porch bar facing St Charles Ave. The staff is wonderful and the breakfast is delightful. The bedrooms, however, really need attention. The blinds in the windows have layers of dust on them, the bed linens and towels are Motel 6 quality, and the bathtub really needed reglazing. We couldn't even get the tiny radio to work during our last stay. This lovely St Charles jewel deserves more than this and with rooms ranging in price from $160 to $230/night on weekends, guests should experience better.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank susupapa
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2010

I attempted to make reservations over the phone with the gracious clerk, who took my information and said I would receive a reservation confirmation via email. After no confirmation came, I called back to learn the room was booked but another room was available which I, again, booked. When no confirmation came, I called back to hear that room was also booked. Which leads one to believe you could speak to the reservation clerk, request a room, receive assurances that the room was reserved, and arrive at the hotel only to find you are OUT OF LUCK!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank davidscottparker
Salisbury, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

My daughter and I stayed at the Columns Hotel this past weekend and we loved it! The atmosphere is wonderful and has everything to do with the 1833 architecture which includes ceilings that must be 18 feet high. The staff is very friendly and helpful as well. I think the room price, $120 for room # 13 , is very reasonable especially since it includes breakfast off the menu, not continental. It is definitely a hang-out for locals on the weekend evenings but that makes more appealing to me; better than being with a bunch of other tourists in the French Quarter. The bar is really neat with lots of dark wood and mirrors and the front porch is another great place to relax with a drink. My husband and I will definitely back in Feb to visit my daughter and I can't wait!

• Stayed August 2010