“Misses The Mark For Elegance”

Avenue Plaza Resort
Ranked #66 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Littleton, CO
“Misses The Mark For Elegance”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Avenue Plaza Resort misses the mark when it comes to the detail and finer points of turning an average “hotel” vacation into a wonderful “resort” vacation.

The rooms are small and cramped with a spatial arrangement makes it very difficult to operate. Basically they have figured out how to cram two queens, a Television and a small table into a space that is suitable for one king bed. The kitchenette is nice and comes well stocked with appliances such as, blender, coffee maker, toaster, refrigerator and dish washer. As well as, an assortment of silverware, plates, bowls, pots and pans, but the counter space is very limited and you will find yourself constantly shuffling things around to make room for a small plate.

The bathroom comes with a nice spacious shower, but hardly any room to stand and dry off. Basically the shower takes up ½ of the bathroom area. The toilet and sink are quite cramped. There isn’t much room for a toothbrush and toothpaste on the counter and if you use makeup, forget it! You are better off going to another room. The toilet is almost an afterthought and is quite claustrophobic (stuck between the sink, wall and door).

The grounds are clean and well-manicured, but you have to zig zag through a maze of doors and mini courtyards to reach the pool area. In fact, you wouldn’t even know they had one unless they told you. The pool and hot tub are nice, but the pool was not heated so all your kids can do on a colder day is use the hot tub. The towels they provide are like sandpaper so bring one from the room.

Overall, most of the grounds are littered with empty areas where they have added a chair, table or a bench to fill space. Many of which are placed where it would make it uncomfortable or awkward to use. Basically the grounds lack the decor and decorations that go along with the more elegant hotels. Even the lobby is not very comfortable. All it takes is a few wall decorations, some nice sofas and a few plants. Makes you wonder if the groundskeeper handled the decorations.

They do have a business center with 3 computers, but the computer screens face the windows in the courtyard and offer little privacy for those who are working on confidential documents. So for confidential work, you might be better off bringing a laptop and working from your room.

The workout room on the 1st floor is nice with lots of newer equipment, but it can be difficult to find because it is tucked away from the elevator and down a hall in an area of the old beauty salon. Once again they have managed to cram a bunch of stuff in a small space.

Most of the things I mentioned above can be the trivial little things that were kind of an irritant, so here is where I go on about the stuff that stands out and borders on the ridiculous!

They will not service your room – at all! I think if you want it serviced once during the week it will run you about $50. Unheard of! My previous experience is that you can get one and maybe two per week at these resorts.

A towel exchange is offered on the 1st floor (I was on the 11th) every day between 8 am and 9 am. So you have to gather all of your used room towels up and drag them down to the 1st floor. Thus, trying to get a new towel outside the allotted time was impossible! I tried the front desk and was told “sorry”.

Soap, shampoo and conditioner were located at the front desk so when I ran out, I needed to remember to ask next time I was in the lobby. Thus, a special trip because the only time you are in the lobby is when you are leaving the hotel.

There was no channel guide in the room. I was at the hotel 3 days before I “guessed” that I needed to go down to the lobby “again” and ask.

Found out after the fact - they had a special meet and greet on Tuesday mornings where they offer donuts and coffee in the business center.

I called ahead and specifically requested a King Size Bed. When I arrived, they gave me a cramped room with two queens. When asked I was told that they wanted to keep me away from the elevators and ice machine, but found out they had several nicer rooms that were not next to the ice machine and elevators; however the manager would not approve the change.

In the courtyard they have some nice (new – was told) patio furniture with a propane fire pit. This is very pleasant to sit around after a dip in the pool or hot tub, but the fire pit was only lit 3 evenings during my stay because they ran out of propane. Not sure why they didn’t fix this problem during my stay.

Each night in the business center they offer coffee for the guests (another secret perk). Since I’m not a coffee drinker, I asked for tea or hot chocolate. The front desk said they ran out of tea the week before and the manager hadn’t purchased more (along with the propane). You can get hot chocolate for the kids, but you will need to beg for it at the front desk.

The maintenance issues were small, but irritating. The safe in my room was broken and would swing open, which would not allow me to close the closet door and when the closet door was open, then the room door would not open. The other problem was that the toilet paper holder fell off the wall, but because of the confined space in the bathroom, I found it was better to leave the roll on the floor.

One morning I was out of hot water for the shower and another morning there wasn’t any water at all. They never gave me a reason for this, but it took only about 15 minutes to fix the issue.

At one point during the week I received an invitation (slipped under the door) to visit the concierge desk for a chance to win a $50 AmEx card or a free Vacation. When I got to the concierge desk, I was told that it was a mistake. Gee offer me a free dinner or something for the inconvenience! It’s stuff like this that really wastes your time and is really cheesy.

Lastly….Valet parking is common at resorts located in big cities. Many times the parking lot / garage are located off site somewhere. Park Avenue charges about $20 per day to park the car. I received a discount and was charged about $11 per day (+ tax). Parking and retrieving your car at this resort can be kind of tricky. This resort is located on a busy street (St. Charles) so parking a car is quite the ordeal. Positioning your vehicle was much like playing the old game of Frogger. Basically you had to exit St. Charles doing about 50 mph and come to full stop curbside at the hotel and hope that there would be an available parking space so that it would not be necessary to circle the entire block again (actually 2 because I think one street is one way in the other direction). If you were lucky enough to find a spot, then you need to hope that you don’t get hit by a fast moving car coming down the street. If you have kids, make sure they exit the vehicle at curbside. This problem was greatly magnified because while I was there they started a 2.5 month construction project to “beautify” the entrance. Now you were down to 2 or 3 curbside parking spaces. Also, I found that calling ahead for your vehicle (as they suggest) does not work very well. Several times I called about 15 minutes ahead to have the car pulled around and it still took another 15 minutes for them to get my car. My guess it they don’t have a very good retrieval system in place. Realistically the parking lot borders a fence on the property so they should just add a gate and give you a transponder.

Over the years I’ve stayed a several Wyndham Resorts and have found this one to be one of the worst. Their endeavor for elegance is greatly overshadowed by the number of cost cutting measures taken to enhance their bottom line. Unfortunately this is all at the customer’s expense. It is hard to take Wyndham seriously when they are running such a monkey operation.

Room Tip: You can ask for a larger room or a king bed, but it's all based upon if the manager deems you wo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank djl79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 13, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Avenue Plaza to attend Mardi Gras. We had a studio on the 11 floor with a great view. The room was well appointed, nearly a full kitchen it was only missing an oven. We are Wyndham members so we knew that housekeeping and breakfast were not part of the resort.

If you are traveling for Mardi Gras please be aware you are on the parade route. This means it's literally right outside. And it is very loud and begins at 8am some mornings. The street car will not be working and the city does not provide buses to get to the French Quarter. Cabs are nearly impossible so expect about a 2 mile walk each way. With that being said it's an easy walk, no hills and you can walk right down the street as they are closed for parades happening the next day.

The only reason we did not give this resort a 5 star was our interaction with the TimeShare reps. They led us to believe our account had issues and tried to sell us additional points under the disguise that it was "fixing" our account. This wasted 3 hours of one day. We normally always avoid attending these meetings but were worried about our account and fell in to the trap.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Kelly_Evans13
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

We checked in to Avenue Plaza with no problems. It is an old hotel converted into timeshare..... Wyndham and Worldmark. We had a one bedroom on the 11th floor which was adequate for two adults. The bathroom was somewhat small though. Very good location . It is in the Garden area of New Orleans. Right outside is the trolley stop, which was very convenient. There were a couple of issues we had. For one, there was dust on the top of the fridge, and on the toilet paper stand in the bathroom. Looked like more than two weeks worth. We questioned whether the floor had been vacuumed, as we found bobby pins on the floor. I don't use them. Also the shower stall door leaked onto the tile floor at every shower. I asked for extra towels to mop up the wet floor We complained to two different people about it, but no one followed up. All in all, we would stay here again, such as it was.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mauimar
Ball, Louisiana
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We did know--we use Wyndham often when traveling--but you should know you will not have room service or housekeeping or continental breakfast here, not because it is is a bad place, but because it is not a hotel. This is a good place to stay if you will be in the area for awhile. The rooms are all suites. You get a full kitchen, living and dining area, and then your bathroom and bedroom. The room was well decorated and clean. The bathroom was very small and our water was hard/soft, whatever it is when it is very hard to get your hair rinsed out and it leaves that film on your skin. The toilet handle had to be held down in order to flush. We did have plenty of hot water, that was never an issue. The bed was comfortable enough. We had a very pretty view on the 8th floor so if you can book a floor higher up, do so. You can also go up to the 12th floor and walk on the rooftop for a phenomenal view of the city. I ultimately decided to give this hotel a 4 star rating instead of 3 because it is in a very good location. It is in the garden district or mid city area where there is plenty of night life, good food, and a trolley stop right across the street. But it is far enough away from the French Quarter that you will not have to deal with panhandlers or homeless or intoxicated people. The employees were nice but checking in did take a very long time as others have mentioned. Pictures of room included.

Room Tip: Book a room as high up as possible, very good views of city skyline
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Seven7777
Longview, Texas
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Very nice, very clean place to stay. Employees are very helpful and friendly. Rooms are up to date and beautiful. We stayed in a studio and it was very roomy! Huge king size bed, huge picture window! Would stay here again! Streetcar is right out the front door.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Christi S
Redmond, Oregon
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed at the Avenue Plaza as a WorldMark Exchange but it can also be booked as a hotel. The staff service was superb. We loved our room which was a one bedroom suite. The location in the Garden District we also really liked, but it is only a 15 minute tram ride to the French Quarter and ten minutes to the WWII Museum. We didn't have a car and didn't feel the need for one. I definitely recommend this hotel if you are visiting New Orleans.

Green Features: There is a definitely make an effort to recycle at this hotel. Recycle bags are available in the rooms which was nice and easy to use.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mike_B52033
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Avenue Plaza Resort, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your kind words about our staff. It’s sounds like you had a great time. The WWII museum and French Quarter seem to be very popular areas for many of our guests. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to your next visit.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed here the weekend of the Rock and Roll Marathon. We picked this hotel because it was right on the race course. It was our first visit to New Orleans and we loved staying in the Garden District. It was so convenient to be able to take the streetcar down to the French Quarter or uptown. We were very glad we decided not to rent a car. It was nice to sleep away from the hustle and bustle of the French Quarter but still be close enough to get there quickly. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 91julief
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Avenue Plaza Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
We’re so glad you enjoyed your stay with us during the Rock and Roll Marathon. Our location is definitely in a great location for our guests. The streetcar seems to be the most popular form of transportation to the French Quarter. We look forward to your next visit.