“A glorious week!”

Avenue Plaza Resort
Ranked #68 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Spent a week here....and it was glorious. There were three couples and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Handy streetcars just outside the hotel; they run late and frequently, so no problem getting out in the evening. Good restaurants nearby if you don't fancy travelling far. Enjoyed the coffee available in the mornings, and the comfortable outdoor patio for the smoker in our group. The kitchenette facilities were well outfitted and it was nice to have breakfast in the room from time to time....some of us were slower to get going in the mornings than others. Can't think of anything that wasn't perfect....even the weather was a treat!

Room Tip: We were just steps away from the elevator, but it wasn't a problem.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Avenue Plaza Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time for providing this feedback. We appreciate your kind words and will share them with our staff. It’s so great to hear you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed the fully stocked unit amenities available. We look forward to your next visit. Thanks again for reaching out.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I stayed for five days in a very comfortable and quiet room at this Wyndham Resort. Because it is on the Streetcar line, travel into the CBD and French Quarter is easy. The convention center is within walking distance if you are fit - as is the WWII Museum (worth seeing). Quaint architecture in the Garden District is nearby, and a pleasant way to spend a spare hour or two. Staff were helpful and happy. The kitchen in my suite was excellent. Bathroom was clean and functional. I would recommend this location strongly for anyone visiting New Orleans who does not want the noise and bustle of the French Quarter when trying to sleep at night!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank FrequentFrier
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Avenue Plaza Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to reach out along with providing some suggestions for future guests. We appreciate your kind words and will share them with our staff. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the quiet room and location proximity to area activities. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

We found the AVP to suit our needs well. The location on St. Charles was very easy to utilize the trolley, an easy walk to many local restaurants, and an easy drive to just about anywhere. We stayed in an inside corner room which was quiet (#819)away from the elevators and well above the street. The room was well appointed for a one week stay and clean. The downsides: Valet parking only (we parked on a side street every night for free, no issues), small pool (who's really here to swim?) and the onsite restaurant was too expensive for most meals.

So if you're looking for a reasonably priced place outside the French Quarter madness, and are willing to explore a little, you'll find AVP fitting. If you're looking to hole up in the hotel and bask in the amenities, maybe another fancier place might be better.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 8th floor and away from the elevators, so it was quiet and pleasant with a nice...
1  Thank Pompiere02
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Avenue Plaza Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We appreciate your kind words and will share them with our staff. We are glad you enjoyed the location to the trolley and restaurants. We apologize for any inconvenience with valet parking and the size of the pool. We are always looking for ways to improve and your feedback will help us to do so. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

The Avenue Plaza has been updated since I last stayed there. NICE JOB! Flat screen TVs, free Wi-Fi. I was in the studios which are fairly large as studios go, and I love that there is a two burner cooktop so I can make my morning meal. Being right on the street car line is great -- $2.50 exact change or get the all day pass for $3 from the convenience store next door. Walgreens down the street sells a 3-day for $9, but then I found myself not using it for the middle day when I sent exploring with friends who were also in town.

Check out the steam table at the convenience store on the corner for lunch, and for a really good burger next door is Igor's Bar/Grill/Pool/Games/Library/Laundromat. It's a smoking bar so you might want to call and get your burger to go, or sit in the back near the pool tables were it's a little less smoky.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank MarkStephenSouder
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Avenue Plaza Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback including some transportation and area activity suggestions for future guests. We appreciate your kind words and will share them with our staff. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the property updates since your last stay. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We got off to a bumpy start at the Avenue Plaza. After an exhausting, 25 hour trip to NOLA on Amtrak, we arrived to discover we had been placed in one of the dreaded "elevator" rooms, although we specifically asked NOT to be. These rooms are a joke: they sit right next to the elevator shafts and we would have gotten more sleep in we had slept IN the elevator itself. Thankfully, the next morning we were moved to a MUCH nicer room on a higher floor as requested and it was smooth sailing onwards. The Avenue Plaza has two great attributes: it's location is wonderful and the staff there is first rate. The Hotel sits right next to two streetcar stops, so access to anyplace is just a few steps from the front door. Despite our problems the first night, we really enjoyed our stay there.

Room Tip: If they try to put you in an "elevator" room refuse!
3  Thank tom c
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Avenue Plaza Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Hi Tom,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We appreciate your kind words and will share them with our staff. We apologize for the issues you first encountered with your unit location, but glad that our staff was able to fully accommodate you and change your unit. It’s great to hear you enjoyed the property location. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed here for 7 nights. It's a very nice property, with kitchenettes in the rooms. All the furnishings are new, clean, and modern. The location on the St. Charles streetcar line makes for easy commutes throughout the city ($3 per day for unlimited travel). However, if your room is at the front of the building, the streetcars are a constant source of noise throughout the night. Makes sleeping difficult for many.

1  Thank DrDonnieDBA

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We are so glad you enjoyed the unit furnishings and the convenience to the streetcar line. We apologize you had to spend even a minute of your vacation dealing with outside noise. We know it is important to feel completely relaxed when on vacation. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I recently had the opportunity to stay at the Avenue Plaza resort in the beautiful Garden District of New Orleans for Halloween from 10/28/2013 to 11/04/2013 in room 1018. While the grounds, resort, rooms, and bell staff were all lovely, well-kept and/or well mannered, the desk staff was somewhat standoffish and seemed to almost not be willing to be bothered. I thought that was fine, and enjoyed my stay; however, once I got home, I checked my credit card to find that I was charged $600. I couldn't imagine what that charge was for, so I called up the hotel. They told me that the $600 was to replace a damaged TV. I couldn't understand what that could have meant, because the TV was in perfect working order when my guest and I checked out. We even watched TV the morning of check-out, and the TV was in the same order that we had found it when we checked-in. When we checked-out, we had left a few bottles on the kitchen counter, and some professional, water-soluble Krylon face paint had gotten on the sheets from when we went to bed after Halloween; but otherwise, the room was left in good condition. Since the face make-up consistently came out of all my clothes (even white dress shirts) in a single wash, I did not think this would cause any issue. Once I found that the charge was for TV damage, I asked to talk to the manager, as we are certain we did not cause any damage. Then the manager told me something baffling. He said that the room appeared to have sustained damage in an apparent physical altercation that left blood stains on the sheets. As part of that supposed altercation, the TV was rendered unusable. He claimed that we had possibly taken a razor blade to the screen! I told him that there was no altercation. The red was water-soluble Halloween make-up that washes out; but, he maintained that they had to replace the TV. I can't help but think that he took an opportunity of what looked like an altercation to claim damages. But, my guest and I can attest that we had no altercation. I even have pictures of the professional water-based make-up that I had in the room. Unfortunately, I do not know what recourse I have since it is a case of the hotel manager's word against mine. At this point, I am making a claim to the Better Business Bureau, writing a review on Yelp and Google, and writing an email to the CEO, as I do not know the best way to address this. If you do stay at this hotel, take pictures of the room as you leave, because the hotel staff is certainly not honest enough to be trusted with your credit card number.

Room Tip: The room I had was nice until the hotel charged me $600 for a TV we supposedly damaged in a "ph...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
18  Thank Michael C

Hi Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback regarding the charges you received on your credit card. Please rest assured that we are looking into this issue and would be happy to further discuss your comments with you. Please email WVROnlineCare@wyn.com. Again, thank you for taking the time to reach out.