“Bad Experience at the Avenue Plaza”

Avenue Plaza Resort
Ranked #64 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed March 23, 2004

We stayed at the Avenue Plaza the weekend of March 12-14. We traveled down with two law students who were participating in an event at Loyola. I had requested and received confirmation for two rooms - one two queen room and one king room, both non-smoking. We arrived and were told that we had two one bedroom suites which were apparently on the 11th floor. I explained that we needed a room with two beds for the law students. The desk clerk said they had no such rooms and when I showed him my reservation confirmation he became annoyed. He then assigned us to two one bedroom suites on the 6th floor. The rooms were awful. The paint was peeling off the ceilings in the bathrooms, the rooms had not been cleaned, the carpet was so dirty it was sticky, and the pull out sofa was a poor excuse for a bed - the mattress was torn and filthy, the sheets were stiff and stained, etc. Needless to say, the person who slept on that bed got no sleep on Friday. On Saturday they moved us to the second floor. The room was a little better, but nothing to write home about. The manager and the day clerk were extremely courteous. We travel a lot and I have never stayed in a hotel room that looked like the ones we had. I've stayed a lot of places in N.O. and never had a room like these. I am a very flexible person but even I would still think twice about ever staying there again, at any price.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Arlington, VA
Reviewed March 7, 2004

I'm agreeing with the March 3rd review. As that person was, I was actually SCARED after I had booked my reservation and then found out about Trip Advisor! However- this hotel was EXCELLENT! The lobby was clean and the staff was gracious and knowledgable. The room was clean and spacious and having a fridge was great! I never heard the timeshare presentation and never felt pressured to buy anything. The price was right ($99/night) and it was close to everything (if you stay here- Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro is walking distance- excellent food and alot of it!). There's also a market on the corner- good for picking up last minute liquor and buying a 3-day streetcar pass. Staying in the Garden District is good for 20-somethings who like it quiet when they sleep but also need to get to the Universities to see friends and have easy access to the French Quarter for nite activities. (Also- for Real World fans- about three blocks away going towards the universities is Belfort Mansion- although you have to look carefully b/c it doesn't look as great as it once did- I missed it on my first streetcar ride!) Whoever said this hotel was horrible must be used to staying at the Ritz because this place was excellent!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 2, 2004

After reading the reviews on this site AFTER we'd made our reservations I was really scared. But we got there and it was great! It didn't smell bad, we were never asked to hear the time-share presentation, the bathroom was clean, the halls were at least 4 feet wide, and the staff was friendly. It wasn't even what I'd call 'ghetto chic' as someone else said it was. If we'd stayed longer, the kitchen would have been very useful, as it is we only used the fridge. It was a very good location; we bought the 3-day trolley/bus pass and went to the French Quarter and the Museum of Art. We also walked through the garden district (the hotel is about 5 blocks from Anne Rice's house) to Magazine Street where there was tons of great shopping.

7  Thank angela_mc
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed January 27, 2004

Very disappointed in general about the entire place. First, it is a timeshare. That says alot right there... after 3 or 4 calls to the room to "sell us" the place, they quite calling. Twice, the room was not made up, and one night the entire hotel did not have hot water. The rooms are small, and with only one restuarant (which was closed 4 times for private functions) we ate at the surrounding hotels for dinner. The bathroom facilities were "old" to say the least, with wallpaper peeling, missing lamps, and a TV that turned everything "green" and looked like you were looking through a fish tank. Not much I can say, if you enjoy a nice place to stay, with atmosphere inside and out, this is not the place!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 19, 2004

The suite was great, after staying at another high priced and well known hotel, this place was a pleasant change. The last hotel room was small, dirty, under construction throughout the facility, very poor room service, and let's not talk about the view and broken coffee pot.
THE AVEUNE PLAZA in comparison was clean, the suite was big, I loved the kitchen, the idea of a separate bedroom, hallways were clean and staff was friendly and helpful, the hottub on the roof top was beautiful uner the stars at night. The Garden District was wonderful, a wonderful location, streetcar right in front of the hotel. In the downtown area there was a stabbing of one youth to another, I could not believe all these expensive well known hotels were in this part and town and people were paying big bucks. The Garden District was dream compared to Canal street, but at the same time so close to the French Quarter, zoo, boardwalk, it is a great place.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 15, 2004

This place was just awful. It is under construction..hopefully Fairfield Resorts will salvage this dump. The rooms have stained carpets, rust on the appliances and ceiling. My daughter stayed on a floor where it smelled like someone had been smoking reefer. I used a timeshare week to rent this place, and I really regret it.

3  Thank docmom3460
Dallas, TX
Reviewed December 22, 2003

Some time ago, I read a review here that described a hotel as "ghetto fabulous" and that monicker fits this hotel very well. It's not the best hotel I have ever stayed in, but it's a step or two above Motel 6, Best Western, or most budget properties.

First...what I liked. The room had a full kitchen, it was clean, and had all the accoutrements you would expect at a business class hotel.
The hotel was convenient to the St. Charles street car line for easy access to the French Quarter. There are near by restaraunts, liquor stores, grocery store, etc. The price is right - $130 a night, compared to much higher room rates elsewhere.

Only a few disappointments. As others have mentioned, the elevators are noisy. I sleep like a rock so it wasn't so much a problem for me, but my travel companion didn't much care for the noise. The mattress was stiff and a little uncomfortable. Finally - stay away from the "attractions" desk in the lobby. The property is a time share and they are very pushy about giving you "free gifts" for attending their presentation. Even when you are very direct about not being interested they continue to push. No really, I'm not interested at all. Please stop talking to me!

Restaraunt - The restaraunt in the lobby is worth a stop. The service isn't the best, but the rib eye is one of the best cuts of beef I have eaten in a long time.

Would I stay at this property again? I would consider it, yes. It's not the best hotel in New Orleans, but for the price and location it's definately ghetto fabulous!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member