“Very pleasant stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas
“Very pleasant stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2008

Great hotel. My wife and I showed up at 11:30 PM for the BCS championship game. Our original hotel was oversold, and they contacted the Avenue Plaza. The staff was very nice. The room was nicely appointed, with a refrigerator, stove, and coffee pot. The bathroom was small, but everything worked; it was clean, and the bed was comfortable. We could have spent a lot more and gotten a lot less.

• Liked — Very helpful and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Fairly long walk to NOLA attractions
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Hazelwood, MO (St. Louis)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2007

This was my second stay here, once in 03 or 04 and now. There are changes after the hurricane. The resort was closed for a year or more and cleaned up. It is an older building, the rooms are very nice and large, but...the bathrooms are small and from the 1950's! It may be old, but was very clean and comfortable. The staff was great, all of them 5 star. The spa was still closed, the roof hot tub was closed and the streetcars were closed! But still loved my stay here as much as the first time. The spa, hot tub and streetcars were to be running by fall. There are no activities there while we were there as they are still looking for staff. It is 22 blocks to the French Quarter, $1.25 by bus (streetcar when running) and about $7 by cab. Parking was $12 a day, there are a few spots on the side streets. We loved the pool (if it was heated, it was set for 65!) and just setting on the overhang on the 1st floor over St. Charles Street, having a glass of wine and watching the people walk, drive by. There is a cover over the over-hang so even in the rain, we enjoyed being outside there. All rooms are now no smoking. Wi-fi was in the computer room, 2 computers and printers, and in the nice lobby. We will be back to NO and will stay there again. Our room was in back and very quiet. Is this a new deluxe hotel / timeshare? No, but it is a great building with character and charm. A good place to set back and relax, or recover from a night in the French Quarter!

• Liked — Staff, Location, Charm
  • Disliked — Parking. Bathroom with 1 towel holder!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Gerasim M
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2007

The Avenue Plaza is a great place to rest your feet after a long day in NOLA. Only bummer is currently the St. Charles Streetcar is not running, so cab fare to and from the quarter is high. (The bus runs somewhat regularly and is a 1.25 each way). Rooms are very clean and staff is super helpful. My only complaints- the lack of wireless or internet access in rooms, and the loud A/C unit in the rooms. Was also difficult to view the Ashley house as the concierge staff was not able to leave the desk to show us, so we missed out :( All in all, a nice place to stay - not the ritz carlton, but not a hole! Kitchen in rooms is very convenient and garden district area is serene and safe! The friendly (and cute) door men will make you smile!

Stayed July 2007
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2005

I have stayed at this hotel twice - once back in May of 2000, and most recently in March of 2005. I do not own a timeshare here, but the company with which we have a timeshares offers "getaways" here.

The rooms are okay. The first time I had a single room, the second a 1 bedroom suite. It was clean and quiet. The facilities are not the newest, but functional. Having the kitchenette is very convenient. There is a grocery store on the corner, for essentials. The single overlooked the pool in the rear, and the suite overlooked St. Charles Ave., but on the 7th floor, was high enough to have a nice view of the bridge, and you could watch the ships on the Mississippi, miles away.

I recommend this location for those who do not need to be in the French Quarter every minute of the day. When I go to New Orleans, I'm as interested in attractions at Riverbend or on Magazine Street as I am in the Vieux Carré. The Avenue Plaza puts me within reasonable distance from all of these.

The streetcar stops right at the corner. When streetcar service is backed up, there is also a taxi dispatch right nearby, so it doesn't take long to get a cab. Also there is a Visitor's center a block away.

I've never used the spa facilities. The first time I went, I used the hot tub on the roof, but it was closed on my last visit.

In March, on my last day, there was a fire in the hotel. The alarm system woked well, and management handled everything smoothly. My floor was not affected, so we were only displaced for about 90 minutes.

Overall, it's a reasonable place to stay.

• Stayed March 2005
6 Thank succubus
Rockwall, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2005

New Orleans reviews are always in the eyes of the the beholder. The city can be seen as a jewel, or some people see it as "old" or "dirty". The people who think New Orleans is dirty have that Depression era mentality that new is clean, and old is dirty.

Well, the Avenue Plaza is not brand new, but it is going through some updates. We are timeshare owners at the Avenue Plaza, but have never stayed there (We always used it as a trade). We had to go to New Orleans for a wedding, and one of the benefits of ownership is the ability to book a few nights as a hotel stay at a discounted rate. (A nice perk). Check in was quick, and so was check out. Car service (valet) was quick. It costs $18 per day, but only $8 per day if an owner (another perk). I waited only a few minutes each time.

The room had two queen beds, a refridgerator, microwave, coffee maker, two burner stove, dishwasher, in room safe, table and chairs, and a TV. Rooms have been updated and are bigger than other rooms I have stayed in in New Orleans. Bathroom was not huge, but fine. Had a hairdryer, iron and board. Water needed to run a long time before it got hot, but got there.

The Spa was all booked up for treatments on Saturday, but had openings at any other time. The thing I loved about our stay was this workout facility. It had a couple of bikes (with built in TVs), stair machines, assorted machines and free weights. The wet area had a dry sauna, a steam room, a whirlpool jaccuzzi, and outdoor heated pool. Towel service was included. I think the use of the workout area has a small fee, but is free for owners (perk, again!) The facility is not brand new, but it is functional. And it was nice to sweat out the impurities before replacing them the next day in the French Quarter.

Access to the streetcar is FANTASTIC!!!!!!! It stops right out front. And the Avenue Plaza is close enough to the CBD and the Quarter that even if the car stops at every stop, it won't take long to or from the Quarter. This is the reason you should stay here. If you have never been to New Orleans and you stay in or near the Quarter, you might not get Uptown at all and missout the beautiful architecture of the Garden District and University areas. The trolley ride in both direstions is manageable from The Avenue Plaza. If you stay in the Quarter, it is one long ride to many destinations up the line. I would rather stay right where you are at the Avenue Plaza. And I've been to New Orleans about 30 times over my lifetime.

The Avenue Plaza has a nice steakhouse and small bar in the lobby. We did not eat there, but it is big with the locals. The closest bar not on sight is right next door, The venerable Uber-dive bar IGORS, and walking distance a a good breakfast place called the Trolley Stop. Great stuffed omelette. The Pontchartrain Hotel is next door and has a nice bar. We have stayed there too. But the Avenue Plaza is a winner. It isn't the Ritz Carlton. But I don't think you get a workout facility like this at the Ritz. I recommend this hotel if you do not require perfection, but functionality and location.

21 Thank jiphjpdjhpgdjhp
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2004

Stayed here for thanksgiving. We were supposed to have a non-smoking room but the room they gave us was clearly a smoking room. When we asked to change rooms, they gave us a lot of attitude and said things like, "well, its a non-smoking room and someone must have smoked in there". When I said that there was an ashtray in the room, the front desk person said that someone must have requested it. I found it interesting that one could request an ashtray in a non-smoking room.

They finally moved us, but in the transition, I left a pair of shoes behind (my fault, of course). By the time I realized they were missing, the shoes had "dissappeared" from the room. The front desk said that housekeeping did not find any shoes. Yeah, right!

To make the stay less inviting, housekeeping staff yelled at each other down the hallway as they cleaned at 8:00am each morning. It made it rather difficult to sleep to say the least.

The ONLY positive thing that I could say about this place was that the location was perfect for getting around and right next to the street car stop.

I'm not terribly picky about hotels, but the attitude of the staff as a whole would dissuade me from staying at this place ever again.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2004

We stayed at the Avenue Plaza Hotel last March.

We stayed in a one-bedroom suite which was sorely in need of some work. Paint was peeling, walls were scuffed, some lights worked, some didn't, the remote controls worked only sometimes. The bathroom was the worst, hardly any room to put cosmetics or anything else.

The service here isn't fabulous. Several times we asked the evening clerk for directions, to which she responded somewhat nastily, "Why would you want to go there?" When we actually made it to 'there' (Magazine Street) we were thankful that we didn't take her advice to just stay in our little corner of the Garden District. By the way, Magazine Street has wonderful, wonderful little stores, cafes, and galleries. Definatly worth the trip. Also, we were two couples sharing a room. Every day we'd have to call down to get a 4th set of towels as EVERY day they would leave us only 3 even though we kept telling them we would need 4 sets everyday and asked them to note it in housekeeping. This is a mild inconvenience, but annoying to have to keep calling.

The location is great, close enough to the French Quarter via Trolley to enjoy the action there, but far enough away to have some peace and quiet when you needed it. It goes without saying that the Garden District is lovely. We spent at least two days strolling around looking at the architecture.

Overall, this place is fine to stay at, but nothing fabulous. The kitchen is nice if you aren't interested in always eating out. However, if this was where I owned Timeshare, I'd be very upset at how they are keeping up the property.

• Stayed March 2004