“Housekeeping not included”

Avenue Plaza Resort
Ranked #67 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 18, 2011

We stayed here for a destination wedding 2 weeks ago. On the positive side, the location is great. Its just a short walk to Magazine Street. It's near the trolley and really in the center of the Zoo and the French Quarter. The rooms are nice and clean BUT the only mirror in the room was in the bathroom and could not have been larger than 24 inches. We heard some members of the wedding party had a full length mirror installed so we called and were told there were no more. We had to go out to the elevators to use the large mirrors there!!!!The other surprise to us was that there is no housekeeping service during your stay unless you want to pay 94 dollars extra per day!!! Overall, we found the room comfortable , clean and located well.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Avenue Plaza Resort

Reviewed November 17, 2011

This is the second time i've stayed here as a guest of a family member who has a time share. Our rooms were more updated than last year, which was a nice touch. We had to switch rooms our last day, be were moved up to a one bedroom. The studio is perfectly roomy for two people. Very quiet and dark in room for sleeping. Quick ride to quarter on streetcar, when it comes. Otherwise jump in a cab for less than $10. Or go uptown on the streetcar or by bus on Magagzine. (go to Surrey's on Magazine for breakfast. If you like beer at all, visit the Avenue Pub on St Charles for over 20 beers on tap and funky art and balconies) We see a lot more of the city statying here since it's a more central location. Service was just fine. Nice to have a kitchen to use! Check out the roof top deck, nice view of the city. I priced a lot of hotel and B & B's, seems like a very good rate for what you're getting!

Room Tip: Our room this year was on the 9th floor and we saw a great sunset. The rooftop deck is nice no matt...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LKS11
Reviewed November 15, 2011

My wife and I stayed a week at the Avenue Plaza and found it to be a perfect location to explore New Orleans. The hotel is located in the Garden District just a quick cab ride to the French Quarter or take the trolley that stops right in front of the hotel. The hotel is quiet, clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Mr. John's Steakhouse is located on the property and offers a great place to eat and have some cocktails. The staff at Mr. John's are some of the greatest people I have ever met! Be sure to say hello to Paul, Manny, Alex, Tom, Desi, his mom Barbara and his dad Ronnie behind the bar. If you are looking for something a little less high brow, try Igors next store. They are open 24/7 and offer washers and dryers...true!

Don't miss the cocktail walking tour with Joe Gendusa. He is a wealth of information about the Big Easy and can get you into places you would otherwise never see. Also be sure to stop in and say hi to Stephanie at Jonnie Whites on Bourbon street. Plan to try some of the best pizza I have ever had at Slice on St. Charles Ave. Stop in for lunch or dinner and say hello to Caroline and Juan at Mia's on St. Charles Ave. Plan a Sunday brunch at La Petite Grocery on Magazine Street and be sure to have a Corpse Reviver #2. Catch the house band at Krazy Korner and walk a little further past the French Quarter and wander down Frenchman's Street, just be careful of any pirates you might see.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Demonsden
Reviewed November 11, 2011

The hotel is very nice. The staff always helpful. We love Mr. John's Steakhouse which is just off the main lobby of Avenue Plaza.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Flashfried
Reviewed November 10, 2011

When we arrived, the first thing I did was sink down on the bed - and I do mean "sink." It was so soft that I had visions of that old Lucy episode. But as I relaxed, I realized that I wasn't slouching down - I was well supported. I dropped off instantly and slept two hours.

I have insomnia, so any time I sleep away from home, I have problems. Not here. Every single night of our 7 night stay, I slept like a log.

So. Great bed.

The staff was friendly and attentive - each time we called to ask for anything, whether it was coffee, cream, toilet paper - whatever, someone knocked on our for within 10 minutes.

Someone held the for open for us each time we left or returned. Nice touch. They also made helpful suggestions for everything from good local restaurants to activities, and even helped us book a tour. They also educated us on use of the streetcars (NEVER call them trolleys) - a day pass lets you ride any RTA streetcar or bus for the measly price of $3, and you can get anyplace in the city that way (you will need to walk in the French Quarter - or rent one of the little bubbly looking two seat cars). There are stops going both directions literally just out front.

The room itself had a nice big screen tv - a good 40-incher. It also had a refrigerator, a 2-burner cooktop, and a decent complement of plates, pots, pans and other cooking stuff. The bathroom was tiny but functional, and we were very comfortable all week.

The street is a genteel, lovely, quiet one, with old oaks lining it most of the way into town. The hotel sits at the edge of the Garden District in a very romantic setting.

All in all, we had a wonderful time, and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011
4  Thank Gail B
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I LOVE New Orleans! I love everything about the place because it is unlike any other city in America. When you are in New Orleans--you KNOW you are in New Orleans and not some strip malled city cut out by a development corporation. I always stay at the Wyndham La Belle Maison but this year for Halloween it wasn't available so we stayed at Avenue Plaza. We loved it! It's quieter for sure and the feel of the Garden District is way different than the feel of Bourbon Street but since it is right on the streetcar line (don't call it a trolley), you can be down to the French Quarter in about 15 minutes. The streetcar runs 24/7, although less frequently at late night.

There are good restaurants in the area. Jackon's over on Magazine street is one of them. For a more informal experience, you have to go to Voodoo BBQ just a couple of blocks down St. Charles toward the Quarter. It was Halloween so we did a ghost tour. It's basically an historical tour. It's interesting but don't expect to do a seance or anything like that. But do visit the St. Louis cemetary. The history there is incredible. And do go to Frenchman's street to hear the music that New Orleanians listen to.

OK, now for the hotel. It was far better than I thought it would be. We had a 1/1. The building is old and rennovated. I loved the shower and the appointments are really nice. The garden and the pool in the back are pleasant but not like a mega resort. My ONLY complaint was with the really curt person who checked us in. She acted like we were way too much trouble to bother with. Everyone else was really friendly and helpful. We parked on the street around the corner free to avoid valet charges. I don't know how secure that is and I took EVERYTHING out of my car. I'll be back.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank timoray
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Upon arrival we had to wait in our car for over 15 minutes while a spot was cleared by the three valet/bellman. They were working hard, but were severely understaffed. Actually these gentlemen were the most helpful and friendly of any of the staff. The reception staff varied in their competence and willingness to help. Can't say much for the others as the only other staff I had contact with was the indifferent woman sitting with the towels which we had to exchange between 8 & 9 or 3 & 4. Who came up with this system?
We had a one bedroom corner room where the internet only worked in the itty-bitty bathroom or a small corner of the bedroom. The bedroom was clean and comfortable as was the rest of the place, but had only one reading lamp in the living area. Anyone sitting on the couch had no access to light.
The trolley line was very close as was a place to eat breakfast. The restaurant attached to the Avenue was very good, but also very expensive.
Wish I had known most of these things before booking.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends