“Just OK”
Review of Chateau Hotel

Chateau Hotel
Ranked #108 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The hotel was our base for a group of about 30 college friends in town for a reunion. It served the purpose, but I wouldn't go back on my own. Primary concerns: hot water was scarce; the shower wouldn't drain properly; bathroom had mildew; carpet hadn't been vaccuumed recently; one of the two beds was lumpy; continental breakfast was skimpy and delivered very late; ancient thermostat didn't seem to work; walls were thin . . . I could go on, but this is enough. Don't believe the photos on the web site.
On the plus side--location. It was an easy walk to everything in the Quarter.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Flatworld71

Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Very typical of French Quarter small hotels. The location is excellent for this venue. You are off the noise and crowds of Burbon Street, yet easy walking distance to everything in the Quarter. Friendly service with clean quiet rooms.

• Stayed: April 2013
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed our location! One of our greatest assets is being close to the festivities of Bourbon Street, but a safe distance away from the noise and crowds. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for taking the time to write us an excellent review, and I hope you visit us again soon.

Till then,

Reviewed April 14, 2013

If you are looking for an upscale hotel in a quiet neighborhood this is not for you. This is an old building on a corner of two streets. Like most hotels in the French Quarter, walls are thin and you will hear everyone talking on the side walk and street traffic and even the impromptu band which marches by. Even if you request a quiet room there is no guarantee that you will get one since the 47 rooms tend to be filled. The morning continental breakfast is a great idea but attention to details could have made it better such as bring butter or jelly for the toast, forgetting the milk that was ordered, or missing the requested delivery time, Plus the deliverers could use some customer service training. A smile and good morning acknowledgement would go a long way to customers who are paying to stay there. A grumpy worker does not give a good impression.

However, the hotel is near the French Market shops and café du monde. It's location on the edge of the French Quarter is ideal to get away from the maddening Bourbon Street crowds and there are local bars and restaurants nearby including Buffett's Margaritaville Cafe. You can walk a couple of blocks to reach the cable car is you want to get to the convention center or connect to Canal Street. Canal Street is almost a mile walk. Stayed here twice now and probably will again.

Room Tip: Hotel was able to store our luggage on the first and last day and coordinated a cab to the airport w...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us for a second time! I'm glad that you enjoy our excellent location, and hope you had another good trip to NOLA. I appreciate your feedback about the continental breakfast -- usually we are on top of all those details you mention! What's toast without butter or jelly? Thanks for letting me know. Also, I was disappointed to hear that you found some of our staff less than enthusiastic. Customer service is very important to us, so I'll reiterate this at our next staff meeting. I appreciate you taking the time to write us a review and hope you stay with us again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed here for two nites after escaping from a horrible french quarter hotel. The room was small but beautiful. The bed was fabulous! We enjoyed the courtyard with our continental breakfast. Staff was pleasant and attentive. Would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Ann,

I'm glad that we could save you from a horrible hotel experience! The French Quarter is a wonderful place to visit, and I would hate for you not to be able to enjoy it. I truly appreciate you taking the time to write us such a nice review. Next time you visit New Orleans, keep us in mind.

Best Regards,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights with some friends from the UK. The only good thing about this place is the central location in the French Quarter. Our rooms were off the main corridor through to the courtyard and the noise was constant from staff talking loudly to traffic in the street with blaring music. Breakfast was Luke warm tea cold toast minimal spreads no plates and nowhere in the room to eat it. The staff are surly and never smile, they all smoke in the alley right outside our room even when we trying to eat our "breakfast".
Now the rooms - dark, stuffy, noisy, no windows to open, no control for cooling, it was awful. No safe, we felt very insecure.
Guest are an inconvenience to the staff at this hotel. Eg "go call your own taxi"
Stay here at your peril. We were so disappointed as we had selected this place to show our friends New Orleans what a terrible memory for them of this great city.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Shirley,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I'm glad that you enjoyed our prime location, but I'm disappointed that you found our service subpar. We strive to provide only the highest level of customer service, and it seems that during your visit we did not live up to this standard. When did you stay with us? I plan on discussing your experience with the staff so that we can improve our service.

By keeping our 18th century hotel active, we strive to preserve the history and culture of the traditional French Quarter. Being a historical site there are certain aspects of our hotel that are out of our control. For instance, some of our rooms do not have windows and the walls do not completely insulate the rooms from the high level of street noise. This is one of the downsides of staying in a high traffic location, and I hope the noise didn't bother you too much.

I appreciate your feedback and hope that you enjoyed your trip to New Orleans.

Best regards,

Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Chateau Hotel in New Orleans was a great surprise. Easy stroll to Jackson Sq, St. Louis Church &.the French Market.Hotel valet parking cost less than any others we checked, & we could easily get to anything we accidentally left in the car. It had all the french quarter charm in the old style with a nice courtyard & pool. Continental breakfast delivered to your room. The room was very nice & even though we got a courtyard, not a balcony room, it had tons of charm. 2 windows, I might point out, as windows appear to be a luxury not a given in the french quarter. The price was beyond reasonable, considering the location & the charm.The beds were great, as was the bedding. It is a small hotel so be sure to make reservations & mention you want a window, And let me add don't delay when you find your room & rate as we couldn't get the dates we originally wanted because we waited a day after getting the quote & it was gone.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are nice &. quiet. Book as early as possible & confirm you are getting at le...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Diana,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. There is something magical about staying in the French Quarter and having the historical and cultural landmarks of NOLA a few blocks away. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and I appreciate you passing your compliments on to future guests.

If you have any additional feedback on what we could have done to improve your stay with us, please let me know. I hope you enjoyed your vacation and hope you stay with us again next time you're in town.

All the best,

Reviewed March 29, 2013

The hotel is ideally situated near to everything in French Quarter. It has a nice courtyard where you can sit and drink a beer after a har day of tourist work.

The hotel was very quiet at night while we were there. There was one episode: a young man jumped in the pool and shouted at 3 in the morning but he was immediately sent to bed by the night watch.

The staff was friendly but not of the super competent or committed or kind - it is not Hilton. The hotel is clean. The breakfast was like continental breakfast uses to be on American motels - which means poor.

The facilites were adequate but could use some renovation. The pillows in the bed almost broke my neck :-). We found a big cockroach in the room the first day of our four days stay but it was dead so I guess it had found some poison on its way to our room - you cannot avoid cockroaches in old hotels like these.

I give the hotel a rating of four and not three because I wold like to stay there again.

Room Tip: try to get one that have door to the courtyard.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah D, Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed our quaint courtyard and ideal location. As you can imagine, many people staying with us spend long wild nights in the Quarter and late night noise can sometimes be an issue. I'm glad we resolved the noise concern at the pool swiftly and it didn't bother you too much.

Regarding renovations, Chateau hotel is housed in a converted 18th century mansion, which makes changes changing or renovations to our property complicated. We strive to preserve the historical character of our building, without sacrificing comfort, accessibility, or cleanliness. I'm very sorry you found a bug in your room. We do not have a bug problem, but with such a humid climate, some bugs can sneak past us.

I hope you enjoyed your trip to New Orleans. Next time you're in The Big Easy, we would love to have you back.

Till then,