“Charming little hotel”
Review of Chateau Hotel

Chateau Hotel
Ranked #111 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stayed here last week and LOVED IT!! It is a charming little hotel in the French Quarters in the perfect location. You park your car and never have to drive until you leave. Sarah was the best hostess!!! We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 24, 2011

Stumbled up this hotel when I arrived in New Orleans one day early and my booked hotel was not available, room while in need of an updates seemed clean and cozy, free parking in a gated garage. short walk to bourbon street for half of the big hotel prices. Breakfast is served in a quaint little room that was clean and the staff was friendly, pool also was warm clean and refreshing, will definatly return

Room Tip: im not sure if the proberty is all suites , but that is what we required
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank electro66
Reviewed September 12, 2011

A beautiful old rustic charming hotel in a fab location right in the heart of the French Quarters . Our room was a bit on the small size and could of been a little bit cleaner but this hotel has all the charm you would expect to find while staying in New Orleans.It's location could not be better... walking distance to Frenchman street, full of great bars bursting with music and also close to Bourbon Street , Jackson Square and the french-markets to shop for some souvenir's. Breakfast in the morning is delivered to your door once you leave your order hanging outside before you go asleep....such a treat to either have breakfast in bed or even better sitting outside on your own balcony watching New Orleans waking up to a new day. We found the staff all to be very friendly and extremely helpful especially Lillian in reception , car-parking is located across the road which was fine ... would stay here again if we ever go back to New Orleans ..really loved our stay in this old unique hotel

Room Tip: ask for an outside room for a lovely street balcony
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank procus
Reviewed August 7, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel many times in the last 20 years! It's in a great location in the French Quarter and reasonablly priced. Each room is unique, decorated with antiques. It's old but comfy, a little musty in some of the rooms, but not unbareable, ( I always carry room spray anyway) the sheets are clean and the bathrooms are clean. The courtyard is full of charm, we love to sit there by the pool in the evening and have a glass of wine before going to dinner. They deliver the paper to your door and coffee, juices , and muffins if you leave the menu on the door knob before you go to bed. They offer off street parking in a lot across the street. Wendell will take very good care of your car, he's been there for years! He knows just how to pack your bags in the trunk when you leave! The Service is superb! Great Atmosphere!

Room Tip: If your going last minute, don't call, just walk in off the street and you can usually get a roo...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Travelbug1990
cmhnola2001, Reservations Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Chateau Hotel and the kind words you used. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed August 7, 2011

This writer is a native of the French Quarter, so when I tell you that the hotel is in a great location I know what I am writing about. You really cannot get a better location in the French Quarter that is convenient to all of the major attractions and the Frenchman St. Marigny clubs as well; you can easily walk to every club you want to go to.

I was on a trip home to visit family and chose this hotel to stay at for my visit.

The room I had was typical for a hotel of that age in the FQ as far as size goes; in other words my room was not spacious, but again, rooms in any other FQ hotel of the same age are not spacious either. If you want a large room stay in one of the tower monstrosities that have sprung up on Canal St. in the past 20 years. But why would you want to stay at one of those, you can stay at one of those in your own home town, so if that is what you prefer stay home.

One of the things I like about the hotel is the scale of it. It's only two stories tall, so no elevator, one can move around in the hotel very easily. One flight of stairs and you are on the street, or in the pool, no long walks. I once stayed at the Bellagio in Las Vegas and hated it because it took at least 20 mins to get from my room to the street. A hotel can be too large.

The room was clean and had a nice shower, no tub, but I do not use a tub and was glad that I did not have to step into a tub to take a shower. The TV was on the small side, with a minimum of channels, but I wasn't on vacation to watch TV.

Breakfast was served every morning along with a copy of the Times-Picayune. I took my breakfast downstairs in the patio, the coffee was very good. The continental breakfast is nothing to rave about, but I have yet to have a continental breakfast in a U.S. hotel that is worth raving about, in that regard the Europeans are way ahead. But really, who cares, if you want breakfast you are in the FQ, just walk down the street, there are plenty of restaurants around.

The best quality about the hotel is the staff. If you come to New Orleans remember this, people here will talk to you; its the norm, and if you speak to them you will get to know them and that makes all the difference in the world when staying in a small hotel where you will see the same staff day after day. Remember this too, nothing says hello like money. When you are served breakfast give a tip, when you go out leave a tip for the maid cleaning the room. Tipping is part of the culture in New Orleans; we tip everyone, and everyone expects a tip, and people will respond in kind. In New Orleans it is customary to give someone a little something extra, we even have our own word for it; lagniappe. I was traveling alone on my visit home, I left $2 for the maid, and $2 for breakfast everyday, that's $4 a day, not much at all, but it makes a difference to the staff. It also makes a difference to say "good morning" or respond in kind when someone says it to you. Treat the staff as your peers and with courtesy and you will have a pleasant stay I promise you.

Parking: the hotel has offsite valet parking. I never used it because I flew into New Orleans and did not rent a car. No need for a car if one is staying in the FQ. But for those who drive to New Orleans or rent a car all I can tell you is that during my stay at the hotel I never heard anyone complain about waiting for their car to arrive once it was summoned.

The bottom line is this, would I stay at this hotel again; yes. There are only four hotels in the FQ that I will stay in, and this is one of the four.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Rooster-Houdini

Wow! Your review blew the General Manager and myself away! Thank you, we couldn't have said any of it better ourselves. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed July 28, 2011

After much research I chose this hotel in the French Quarter for the pics of the rooms. When we arrived, the valet helped unload our car as we had been at a beach for a week first. The car is kept in locked courtyard. I was disappointed at first as we were not staying in the main hotel. We were in a refurbished building across the street. This was not told to me at booking time. However the room was huge with 2 beds, a sofa,an overstuffed chair, tv armoire, huge coffee table to put all your 'stuff''. The bathroom was good sized. We were on the first floor with keys to the building and then inside keys to our room. The room was part of a remodeled bar I found out. It had beautiful dark, wide plank hard wood floors, dark furniture. Coffee, juice, danish and a paper were brought to our room every am. We didn't use the pool...no time...but it looked charming. The staff were friendly and helpful especially the heavy lifting valets. Didn't want to leave. There was street noise but that's New Orleans right. Location is great. Just let the desk know if you will need your car for out of town excursions. Would stay again. Clean except the walls of the bathroom had a lot of scuff marks, a footprint !!?? I wonder how that got there. They need a Mr. Clean eraser. ;)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank luv2travel3131963

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Chateau Hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and would come back. The Suites are due to get their freshening in a few weeks!

Reviewed June 29, 2011

From the start the stay was doomed. The hotel manager did not have the reservation ready even though I had called hours before. First thing I noticed was that the hallways were full of dirt and dust. Checked in and settled down in the room and went for a walk around the french quarter. Nice dinner but were caught in the rain and had to rush back to the room. When we went to take showers, we noticed the bathroom hadn't been cleaned--found a bar of soap with hair in it from the previous occupants :( Other problems: TV was snowy and wait for it.....bed bugs. When we went to complain about the condition, the hotel manager took the defensive and asked why we had waited so long to complain. She even went so far as to say that we probably waited so we could get a discount. This is our second stay here but the first time was a completely different experience. Guess true colors are showing.
Hotel management not professional at all. As the hotel manager, I would have been embarassed by all these inconveniences. Will definitely NOT be coming back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family