“Quaint hotel with great location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chateau Hotel

Chateau Hotel
Ranked #120 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Quaint hotel with great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at the Chateau hotel. Location is ideal as you are 2 short blocks from Bourbon Street and Jean Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop, one of the best bars in NO. 2 short blocks the other way and you are on Decatur Street, very close to Cafe Du Monde and the delicious beignets! As for the hotel itself, my fiancee and I had a room on the ground level which was basic but nice. We were traveling with family, and they had suites across the street which were very spacious and very nice. The staff was friendly the whole time and always accomodating. The only negative if you have a room on the ground level near the pool is the staff tend to congregate there in the mornings for their cigarette breaks, which woke us up a couple of times. Other than that we really liked this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank tjmoney44
cmhnola2001, Reservations Manager at Chateau Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Maybe next time you'll have a suite! :)

Since your stay, the Chateau Hotel has taken action concerning the noise in the carriageway.

Thanks for taking the time to review us!

Sarah I Drake
Reservations Manager
Chateau Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Korean first
Birmingham, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel on and off over the last 20 years. It used to be an average/cheap place with a great location, a little quirky, but it seems times have changed, and not for the better at Chateau. The last time we stayed here (April 2011) there were too many things that disappointed us. Some of these things could be overlooked, but all together made for a not great experience.

1) They advertised free Wifi - but sadly, the wifi was unusable, had to go to local coffee shop to do business.

2) Parking is expensive and right across the street - which would be fine if the desk guy would radio for your car for you. He said he would, but 20 min later, no car came. We walked across the street and told the valet guys which car was ours and they drove it 12 feet to us - they said the desk guy doesn't know how to use the radio and that happens all the time.

3) They assigned us the loudest, smallest room (115 right across from the office) - this could happen to anyone, someone has to stay there I guess.

4) Room dirty, wallpaper peeling, broken mirror, towels not exactly white.

5) We left 4 items of clothing in the closet and remembered when we got home (the same day). We called and they said they found the clothes and told us to send them a check for $12 so they could mail the clothes to us. We did right away. 3 weeks later we received a beat up box of clothes that were not ours. I called and explained to the desk guy who told me to call the next day, i did, then he told me to call on Thursday, which i did. He then told me that they didn't have our clothes. (???) What the heck is going on at this place? They didn't offer to refund the shipping $ we sent to get our stuff back either.

6) If you're still reading, this is the worst of all. This hotel still uses metal keys, which is fine, except: My husband went back to our room to grab a beverage, he opened the door... only to realize that he was in the wrong room. Mistakenly he entered the room next to ours, using our key. So are all the keys the same? Huge security problem for me.

Pros: Courtyard very pretty, unheated pool nice, great location, breakfast is nice (IF you get the hang tag for your door, which we only got half of the time). The woman who brings the breakfast is very nice.

Room Tip: No clue, chatting on FB with them didn't help
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank IsAirren

Travelers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Rzeszow, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2011

spent 5 nights here at Easter with my 76 yr old mother in room 227 (very large double room with wonderful external balcony - our request to people watch) while the carpets may be a bit worn, the room had charm and was well stocked with towels and toiletries. extras like a daily continental breakfast, newspaper, a refridgerator (none of which the Ramada Bourbon gave for a higher price) were appreciated. not a chain hotel - felt cozy. the pool, tho small is lovely. perhaps the bar opens up later in the season. you can walk everywhere from here - several times a day. would definitely stay here again having seen the competition. was very comfortable. only drawback no wifi.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CatinRzeszow
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2011

Well I am not sure where I need to start. I was very excited when I booked this place because it seemed like a great location and cute and cozy. NONE OF THE ABOVE! I rented the suite up at the top. It's the one when you go all the way up the stairs to the left. Don't get me wrong I understand these places are old but this was way too much.. When we got up to our room there was cobwebs all over. The smell inside smelled like burnt flesh if that is even a smell. I had to call them 3 times to come and see about the smell because it was THAT bad. They had to put "air" cleaners in the room. They had 3 hooked up. They said we could keep them the entire weekend if we wanted, because that is a relaxing vacation. The air didn't work, it was HOT AND STICKY. The bathroom was DISGUSTING. There was hair all over the counter and the towels were stained and nasty. Let me go to the bed. It STUNK so bad that I refused to lay in it. I was actually scared that the sheets were not even clean. LONG story short, I was planning on staying here for 3 days and after 5 hours there I checked out and went to the HILTON, where I had a clean room and NICE people. BTW, did I mention that when I explained to the lady that I wanted to check out because of all these reasons she REFUSED and said I was LYING. I still had to pay 300 dollars because she said now they wont have a chance of getting anyone in the room and I caused them to LOOSE money. NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ohmygod60750
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

We wanted a cozy place to relax. At Chateau you get a more one on one then you do at the big hotels. Donna who brings you breakfast in the morning is the SWEETEST person we have ever met traveling. We had a great stay and we are already talking about going back in May.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dmorales1
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2011

I have traveled to NOLA many times and stayed at dozens of its hotels, but now that I have found The Chateau, it will be the hotel I return to again and again. The location is fabulous; in a quieter part of the Quarter but within walking distance of it all and close to Faubourg Marigny. A cinch to get in and out of by car and the free (AAA) parking was very appreciated. I felt well cared for by all of the staff, from the front desk to the valets and maids. Everyone was just plain nice and kind to me, even when I could tell they were having a hectic day. Breakfast was more than adequate. The muffins and danish fresh and warm; the coffee and juice delicious. Donna, who brought it to us every morning is a real sweetie. Our room was upstairs in the interior courtyard (overlooking a nice pool) and was quiet except for our neighbors who partied a tad bit hard one night. But, they were young and apologetic about it so we just smiled, remembering those days ourselves. Our room was very clean and well appointed with the "worn around the edges charm" of the Quarter. There is a refrigerator which came in handy and the beds were unbelievably comfortable. I would avoid the street rooms, though, as I would think them to be noisy. I just could not have been happier with my stay at The Chateau.

Room Tip: Go for the interior rooms on the second floor.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank rokbums
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2011

This hotel is in the heart of the city; it's very well taken care for, the rooms are small but tidy and clean, breakfast was simple but lovely, surrounded by flowers, birds and happy people (in particular the very welcoming cook)
I suggest it for a short stay

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family