“This is not the "French Quarter experience", this is just a poorly run guest house in it's fast decline.”

Bon Maison Guest House
Ranked #44 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 10, 2011

I travel to New Orleans several times a year. I have stayed many times at the Bon Maison over the last five years, attracted to the location (Bourbon Street and the gay section) and the relatively reasonable rates. There has been a recent and sad decline in both the property and the management, so much so, I would not stay there again, nor can I recommend it to any of my friends.

I love the general sense of decadence and decay that pervades the French Quarter- but this place is in ruins. The interiors are filthy, with an inch of dust over most everything. I had to wear shoes inside the room, otherwise my feet would be black with dirt. The cute little kitchenette has mold in the grout, and spilled food in the refrigerator. The mattress smells funny, the linens have stains, and I have found personal items from previous guests in my room.

The shower head was broken, and I had to get a new one myself. The air conditioner looks and sounds like it has never been serviced, and makes more noise than a diesel engine. My neighbors' drain backed up with raw sewerage, and they had to take showers in our place until the drain was fixed: the next day!

The "maid service" is a guy who will change your towels if you ask him, but doesn't do anything else. He was drunk by noon each day and would make passes at the guests- offering "special room service". Make sure and pay for your room in something that gives you a good record (credit card or check) because they lost my deposit once, and you never know if they are sober enough to keep track of the money.

I have started staying at other places in the quarter, and have had excellent experiences with both cheaper and more expensive places. This is not the "French Quarter experience", this is just a poorly run guest house in it's fast decline.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jaywolford
BonMaison, Owner at Bon Maison Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2011

Dear Future Guests:

Contrary to this recent review, we at The Bon Maison Guest House pride ourselves in providing our guests with the best accommodations possible during their visit to New Orleans. We offer clean rooms, personalized service, and an incredible location on Bourbon Street in The French Quarter.

We assure you that if anything during your stay is unsatisfactory, we will address the situation immediately. If you have any questions or concerns please contact us.

The Bon Maison Guest House

Reviewed March 8, 2011

I have yet to stay at this hotel; however when I called to book a room, the attendant was extremely rude. I thought about it and called back to ask to for his name and to speak to a manager. He hung up on me. Therefore, instead of a simple apology that would have been sufficient, I am posting this. I will also tell all friends/co-workers to NEVER book here!!!

Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank weltiff
Reviewed December 13, 2010

Another great stay in the French Quarter. So convenient and convivial.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed October 10, 2010

We stayed at the Bon Maison Guest House in one of the "slave quarter" rooms. The hotel itself is just one block off the noisy part of Bourbon Street but you would never know it. It was quiet. The room itself was small which we expected because it is older. It had only a shower which didn't bother us. The courtyard was very nice and felt very secluded.

Chuck was friendly and helpful. At his suggestion, we went to Irene's and Adolfo's. They were two of the best meals we had in NOLA and that is saying something.

We are not squeamish but the room could have been cleaner. It felt like there was sand on the floor. We had a stain on our sheets. The owner brought us another set of sheets and helped us make the bed. From his concern, I would guess this was an out-of-the-ordinary issue. The owners have birds which are nice during the day but they woke my husband up at 6 a.m. which he was not keen to at all. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner.

The location and value were great. If you are used to nice hotels with daily room service, this is not the place for you. But if you want to be close to the action and can overlook a little dirt (or in our case a stain) for a great price, try it out.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank legallyred
Reviewed April 20, 2010

Room had charm. Situated at the quiet end of Bourbon St. Friendly owner.
Room was a little dark...needed some light.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2010

Bon Maison was the perfect hideaway for a fun trip to New Orleans. I stayed in a studio right on the lovely, peaceful courtyard. The studio, though small, offered many of the amenities of home: like having a fridge to keep beer cold and a microwave to warm up leftovers. A comfortable bed, a nice big shower and of course the courtyard made for a comfortable base to experience New Orleans. The location can't be beat - on
Bourbon Street but a couple of blocks from the really noisy part so it was quiet. Very private yet Chuck and Butch were gracious and easygoing hosts who were a pleasure to get to know. And New Orleans as a whole was friendly and entertaining with great bars, clubs, music, food, shopping...loads of fun...I can't wait to go back to Bon Maison and New Orleans soon

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2009

My husband and I were celebrating 6 years of dating or just being together in general! We enjoyed the location of this hotel so much, it is centrally located to everything you are going to want to do. Don't be leary because it is on Bourbon, we stayed in closest room to the street and rarely heard any noise...but if you are still concerned I would request a room further back in the courtyard and I am sure you will have a quiet stay.

The courtyard is just beautiful and exactly what we were looking for. We wanted a unique place to stay and that is exactly what we got!

Charles, the innkeeper, invited us for a drink a number of times but we were unable to take advantage of it, as we were in town for such a short time and had to take in all the sights.

We will definitely be back to NOLA and Bon Maison is where we will stay!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple