“Nice Stay Before A Cruise”

Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)
Ranked #27 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Lincoln
“Nice Stay Before A Cruise”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We spent one night here before a cruise out of New Orleans on Feb. 23rd. We had a quick check-in to a King Room. The room was spacious and pretty quiet. The hotel is only a short walk to the French Quarter which was nice as we enjoy spending time there. The hotel also offers a free breakfast which was pretty decent. We would probably stay here again if we go to New Orleans again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The rooms with 2 Queen Beds very spacious. If you need to share a room with someone this is certainly the way to go. Plenty of space for everyone. GREAT hot/cold breakfast served & even a waffle attendant! Lots of Amenties here. Good Coffee! Easy access to nearby attractions. Staff is very accomodating.

Room Tip: Double Queen rooms are really large
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JackieJimmy0301
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Beautifully restored old factory building. Across street fr convention center. Usual good Hampton service. Great waffles. I recommend this highly. Rooms fine and comfortable. Restaurant area has lovely feel.

• Stayed April 2012
Regina, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was beyond impressed with this hotel. We stayed during Mardi Gras, from Feb 6-13 2013. From the excellent customer service reception (fairly late in the evening by the time we got there) where there was hot coffee, and fresh cookies. There was one employee, i wish i had gotten his name, who provided all the rules for Mardi Gras (with that many people, there were different procedures) and after we came back from our first parade in the rain, he met us with towels and real southern hospitality....and bent over backwards to help us order food into the room since we were cold, wet, and didn't want to go out to eat at midnight.
The rooms were clean, and the room we had (814) was very spacious. The rooms weren't super modernized, but certainly adequate, clean, and well maintained. Everyday room was cleaned and completely made up. We make a point of tipping daily, and actually ended up tipping extra because the room attendant did such a good job.
The location of this hotel for Mardi Gras was PERFECT. It was one block walk to a main parade route on St Charles (which made it easy for bathroom breaks, and taking throws back to the room), it was 2 blocks from teh beginning of Bourbon street (which no trip to Mardi Gras is complete without at least one evening spent here), and there were a few restaurants and convenience stores within a 2-3 minute walk. The extra security over the weekend was a pain at first, but when we witnessed someone who was very drunk who was not residing at the hotel being escorted out, it made me thankful for the extra procedures. Canal st was a couple blocks away and the River walk was a 5-10 minute walk. So location was completely ideal in that the only time we required a cab or public transit was for a bayou excursion we took part in. Being so close to all the action, you'd think rooms would be noisy...but it really wasn't. There was only one night we had an issue with noise, and that was because of a drunk neighbor in the hallway, not anything going on in the rooms or outside. Before we got there, the price kind of irked me...but put it up to being Mardi Gras season, so more expensive...But i would gladly pay the same prices for this hotel year round. The awesome breakfast and free wifi included with the room more than made up for it!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Winder, Georgia
Reviewed February 21, 2013

First off, I have been a Hilton Honors member for several years. I've stayed in many of the Hilton chain hotels and I've had valet parking as the only option for valet, but what I have NEVER seen is a hotel ever charge TAX on the valet parking price. The Hilton.com site list a lower price from what you actually pay. Now, I will applaud the valet people for being very on point when it came to bringing my car around to me and when we pulled up one day after being out, one of the female valet people, opened my door for me, took my trash (MacDonald bags) away from me and offered to dispose of it and did so. One valet person even went to our car and got our laptop and brought it to the room when we forgot to get it out the trunk when we checked-in. The hospitality was great. The location was great. The hotel is located on Carondelet which is the street that turns in to Bourbon. The location is close but it is away from the noise, etc of the nightlife of Bourbon St. We were able to walk everywhere. The hotel is an older hotel but the rooms are big. The King Room with the study had a great view and it was spacious. The room came with a fridge and microwave. The fridge didn't really work the best as far as cooling but it did the job. Breakfast was adequate. It basically with consist of some type of egg (Western style or scrambled), a meat (Pork Sausage Patty or slices of ham), an assortment of Danish, muffins, bagels, toast, waffles, etc. They also have an assortment of cereal, fruit, juice, coffee, oatmeal, & do it yourself grits. The hotel is undergoing some light construction but you will never know it unless you roam the 4th floor late at night in search of coffee, eating utensils, fruit, etc. There is virtually no noise. Overall, my stay was great. The bill at the end put a sour taste in my mouth. Valet is $29.75 plus $3.57 in tax (these charges are per night) that is added. I found that valet is cheaper at other hotels in the area

Room Tip: Get a King room on a high floor for a view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stay here for work often and highly recommend it. Close to Bourban yet far enough away that you can get some sleep if you aren't going to party all night. You will need to valet and the breakfast is the norm. Also a managers reception on Wednesday nights.

Room Tip: Ask for a view. Not much here but some have more than others.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Booked our stay for 5 nights because of previous wonderful experience with Hampton inn Baltimore -- thought that this hotel, being Hilton group, would keep its consistency in standards.

While the counter staffs were wonderful, the general experience during our has been disappointing. First, the duvet was soiled with something that looked and smelt like vomit. It took a complain to the manager to make the hotel keep their promise of "clean and fresh" bedding. I'm not complaining about the manager - He was professional and immediately rectified the issue, for which I'm really grateful and I'm very impressed with. Its the housekeeping that that let the hotel down. The paper cups were not replenished for 2 days and we had to make extra trips down to the dining area to take them - it made us feel like thieves rather than guests! Empty shampoo bottles left in the bathtub were not cleared. Its worse when we deliberately decided to pay more for Hampton Inn because we thought we could trust them. The standard of the hotel now is not worth the price we paid for.

The duty manager salvaged our impression of the hotel. We would really like to commend him. Sadly, the managerial team has been let down by the housekeeping.

Room Tip: Choose a queen double room - Although there's no view, its spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ChitLover
ViseTricia, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area), responded to this review, February 18, 2013
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us when you visited New Orleans. I do apologize that the housekeeping staff did not live up to your expectations. I am going to get with my Executive Housekeeper upon arrival tomorrow morning to discuss it further with her. I will however pass along your nice comments to the rest of the staff. I hope you believe me when I say this is truly the exception and not the rule, so I hope you would give us another chance if you visit New Orleans again. I would love the opportunity to prove our commitment to your satisfaction.

Tricia Vise