“Substandard & disappointing”

Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)
Ranked #27 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Booked our stay for 5 nights because of previous wonderful experience with Hampton inn Baltimore -- thought that this hotel, being Hilton group, would keep its consistency in standards.

While the counter staffs were wonderful, the general experience during our has been disappointing. First, the duvet was soiled with something that looked and smelt like vomit. It took a complain to the manager to make the hotel keep their promise of "clean and fresh" bedding. I'm not complaining about the manager - He was professional and immediately rectified the issue, for which I'm really grateful and I'm very impressed with. Its the housekeeping that that let the hotel down. The paper cups were not replenished for 2 days and we had to make extra trips down to the dining area to take them - it made us feel like thieves rather than guests! Empty shampoo bottles left in the bathtub were not cleared. Its worse when we deliberately decided to pay more for Hampton Inn because we thought we could trust them. The standard of the hotel now is not worth the price we paid for.

The duty manager salvaged our impression of the hotel. We would really like to commend him. Sadly, the managerial team has been let down by the housekeeping.

Room Tip: Choose a queen double room - Although there's no view, its spacious and comfortable.
4  Thank ChitLover
ViseTricia, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area), responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us when you visited New Orleans. I do apologize that the housekeeping staff did not live up to your expectations. I am going to get with my Executive Housekeeper upon arrival tomorrow morning to discuss it further with her. I will however pass along your nice comments to the rest of the staff. I hope you believe me when I say this is truly the exception and not the rule, so I hope you would give us another chance if you visit New Orleans again. I would love the opportunity to prove our commitment to your satisfaction.

Tricia Vise

Write a ReviewReviews (1,991)

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights before leaving on a cruise with my wife. Location is super, right off Canal street and the French Quarter. Staff was very helpful at check-in, explained the breakfast hours, and we happened to hit the weekly happy hour on Wednesday nights. Free beer, wine, some snacks, very nice.

Room was great, clean, had a frig and microwave. I'm a Hilton Diamond member and have stayed at dozens of properties and this was as nice as most. Wifi connection was outstanding, as good as my own home network! This is usually a weak point for hotels.

My only complaint was the temperature in the breakfast area every morning - we actually saw on the thermostat that it was 80 degrees. Very uncomfortable but otherwise we would most definitely stay there again. Also, stop at Brother's Food mart on your way to the French Quarter for great fried chicken 24 hours a day.

2  Thank travelman91560
Reviewed February 7, 2013

As a caveat, I have routinely been disappointed by New Orleans hotels, and there is a strong argument that I just need to lower my expectations for the city. For this Hampton Inn, it checks all of the basic boxes. Staff are friendly, the free breakfast/WiFi is always appreciated, rooms are clean, and you are perfectly located close enough (without being too close) to the French Quarter. That said, this hotel (like most in New Orleans) gives off a bit of a tired feel. There is a strong mildew odor in the lobby, the lobby carpet is rolling up in many places, the elevators creak and groan with some trepidation, and the rooms need a solid makeover (stains widely on carpet in rooms and hallways, cracked bathroom fixtures, old-appearing color schemes). You're in downtown New Orleans for less than $150 so it is a bit "you get what you pay for" but I have definitely stayed at many a Hampton Inn that have nailed it. This one isn't quite there.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have better views
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MDWandering83
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel is on Carondelet St. This same street changes its name to Bourbon St at Canal St, two blocks from the hotel. Difficult to be closer without being in it. Fairly old building, but in very good condition and very neat. Rooms are wide. Beds comfortable. Breakfast are succulent and and includes among other things local sausages called "andouille". Just great. Cheaper from Monday through Thursday. Avoid if you can Friday to Sunday. Price is good except for parking fee(expensive). Walking distance to everything and if you need to take a special tour, busses pick you at the door. Would go back there anytime...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank André F
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This hotel is the perfect spot for a trip to the Big Easy! It's located just 2 blocks from Canal Street, which is the gateway to the French Quarter. One could easily walk to the French Quarter, the French Market, Jackson Square, and the Riverfront from the Hotel. Additionally, the trolley runs right in front of the hotel...which I believe will take you right into the Garden District.

The staff were wonderful and accomodating, the rooms were clean and nicely appointed with a microwave and refrigerator. The complimentary breakfast is more than generous, and the gym is great as well. My only complaint is that the daily parking rate EVERYWHERE in the city is too expensive! It's nearly 30 bucks a day!! If you don't need a car in NOLA, don't get one...save yourself 30 bucks and STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank MakeMineMalibu
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Very comfortable bed. Lovely room. Nice hotel. The breakfast was not good, though. However, when in New Orleans, you should eat at the local places, so that was not a big deal. The price of the hotel was excellent. We'd stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have stayed at many Hampton Inn's over the yaers and this was by far the only bad one. Haveing to use the key on the elevators was huge pain. I would not recommend this hotel as there are many others in N.O. that are better.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
ViseTricia, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area), responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

First of all, I want to thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn during your recent visit to New Orleans. I want to apologize about needing to use the keys in the elevators. We feel that the safety and security of our guests should be our primary concern. Being located in a downtown metropolitan area would dictate a few more safeguards than usual, thus the need for key cards in our elevators. We are currently undergoing total renovations, so if you do come back to New Orleans I would love for you to get in touch with me. I am certain you will be much more pleased on your next visit after the renovations. Again, I certainly hope you visit us again for a second try.

Take care and if there is anything I can do, please don't hesitate to contact me at the hotel.