Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)
Ranked #27 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Very comfortable bed. Lovely room. Nice hotel. The breakfast was not good, though. However, when in New Orleans, you should eat at the local places, so that was not a big deal. The price of the hotel was excellent. We'd stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area)

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have stayed at many Hampton Inn's over the yaers and this was by far the only bad one. Haveing to use the key on the elevators was huge pain. I would not recommend this hotel as there are many others in N.O. that are better.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
ViseTricia, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area), responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

First of all, I want to thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn during your recent visit to New Orleans. I want to apologize about needing to use the keys in the elevators. We feel that the safety and security of our guests should be our primary concern. Being located in a downtown metropolitan area would dictate a few more safeguards than usual, thus the need for key cards in our elevators. We are currently undergoing total renovations, so if you do come back to New Orleans I would love for you to get in touch with me. I am certain you will be much more pleased on your next visit after the renovations. Again, I certainly hope you visit us again for a second try.

Take care and if there is anything I can do, please don't hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We enjoyed walking from the hotel to Canal Street and French Quarter, We rode the trolly cars just outside the hotel to many interesting sites also. The World War 2 museum is within walking distance or you can ride the trolly. We valet parked our car and did not need it for our entire 3 night stay. Very quiet in the hotel. We stayed in a corner room on the 14th floor and it was very spacious. The hotel is under renovations at the present time but no problems with that. The soft cookies at the front desk are delicious and the breakfast room on the 4th floor is very nice with a good breakfast. I would recommend this hotel. The staff folks are very friendly and professional in their dealings with us.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room....
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed here in January 2013 with my niece's family of 4. We were given connecting rooms which made our shared vacation that much more special. We were on the 12th floor and our rooms appeared newly renovated. They were much larger than the typical Hampton Inn room. Very quiet too. Check-in and check-out were a breeze.

The complimentary breakfast was full of choices (both hot and cold items), typical of all Hampton Inns. The breakfast space seemed very crowded and chaotic. I'm not sure if it was the layout or just the time/day that we were there. It would have been great to have some kind of breakfast item unique to the area (beignets?).

Parking at the hotel is expensive. We used EZ Park on Carondelet (a block from the hotel) for $10/day.

The hotel is in a great location - near Canal and Bourbon. We were able to walk everywhere we went.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2013

This hotel will be at least a 4 when the renovations are complete; maybe even a 5. There are a lot of great things about it right now...First the staff is the best, they are always friendly and helpful. Secondly, the location is 2 short blocks to Canal St., cross over Canal and you are at the beginning of Bourbon, a block from the beginning of Royal, etc. Great jumping off place to start exploring the French Quarter.
Thirdly, the convienence of having a hot breakfast in the hotel is something I really like to start my day in a relaxing manner. Their coffee is GREAT. They have 24 hour coffee/tea. The food was on, one day small egg omelets, next day scrambled eggs, one day bacon next day sausage. The hot fresh make you own waffle thing is very nice.
OUr room was huge, with large floor to ceiling windows, and the ceilings were about 14 feet high...there was a hutch containing 2 closets, flat screen, micro, coffee thing, and safe. Oh and a fridge too.
The bed was very good, very comfortable, a king and the linens were very nice and we always got a good night sleep.
I think the rooms are generally quiet, as we had some young people adjoining us and we never heard them unless we were in the hall. Maybe because it is an old building it is more soundproof.
No view to speak of, just the buildings across the street.
It seems that this hotel has renovated all the bathrooms first and are now going floor by floor with the rest of the renovating...so our bathroom was pretty nice...the shower was large, no tub, and it was super clean. However, as others have mentioned, water pressure was very poor. It fluctuated a bit during the day, but was never "normal". Hope they can fix this! It made for a longer shower than usual to get all soap off.
We valet parked our car, and the service for getting the car etc was very smooth and we had no complaints. They park it in the garage on the block and it isn't cheaper to just go park it yourself but you can if you prefer...a few dollars difference, but with hotel you can go in and out for that flat fee which was about $29.
I must say, location was very good, breakfast was good and staff was great.

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor, but it was not a renovated floor.
2  Thank Jacqueline S
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed 1 night here, that was enough for me. The hotel is nice and cleaned. I would stay there again if they would get new beds and more water pressure. The bed sucked. I have stayed at other Hampton Inns and the best were nice. Im the type of person thats like soft beds not firm. The water pressure sucks. The internet worked fine, but we werent in the room that much to use it that much. The breakfast was okay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
ViseTricia, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites New Orleans Downtown (French Quarter Area), responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Greetings from New Orleans!

First of all, I hope you and your family had a spectacular holiday season. I want to apologize that you were not fond of the beds; many people love them and others not so much. We are currently undergoing total renovations, so if you do come back to New Orleans I would love for you to get in touch with me. I am certain you will be much more pleased on your next visit after the renovations. I am going to look into the water pressure issue as I know the city of New Orleans had some issues. I just need to backtrack the files and figure out if it was during your stay or not. Again, I certainly hope you visit us again for a second try.

Tricia Vise

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here recently to celebrate our anniversary and could not have asked for a better experience. After hearing about our special occasion, the front desk staff put together a welcome package with food and drinks for us and a lovely card signed by many of them. Our room was great and it was a short, safe walk to Bourbon street. They are in the process of upgrading the hotel - it will be even better when this is completed. Thanks again to the friendly staff!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple